How long until a candidate's religious views... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:52:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  How long until a candidate's religious views... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How long until a candidate's religious views...  (Read 1257 times)
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« on: January 30, 2012, 08:37:15 PM »

There is a difference between critiquing religion and being intolerant of it.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:57:04 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2012, 08:58:46 PM by Nagas »

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

It's right in there in the name, for crying out out.

Jesus Christ is a prophet of Islam. Does that make Islam a type of Christianity? All main-stream Christian branches declare that Jesus was the last and final prophet. Mormonism violates that rule.

I look forward to a day when people stop caring about the religion of a candidate. Those who complain about about muslims and atheists being hated on in the political discourse ( I am with you here), you will be no better than the haters if you start holding a christian candidate's religion against them  

If a candidate came out declaring that all women are inferior to men and that Jerusalem should not be divided because of their faith (like Pat Robertson in 1988), it deserves scrutiny and critique. Would it be unfair to a member of the Westboro Church if their faith and parish were questioned? Religion gives many their code of ethics and morals.

I agree that Atheists and Muslims should not be outright hated by the political discourse; they are victims of extreme prejudice. But asking an atheist where he derived his ethics and morals (I derive mine from Humanist teachings) or a Muslim where he stands on certain "out there" portions of the Koran is fair game.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies