Death as a result of a prank
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:31:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Death as a result of a prank
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Death as a result of a prank  (Read 1582 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:07:26 PM »

Let's say someone commits a prank, and accidentally it results in another's death. Or say, the prankster acts as if s/he were to become violent. The target believes s/he is in self-defense and kills the prankster.

What would the likely criminal or civil ramifications be here?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »

Ever seen the movie Mean Creek? Fantastic film.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:01:23 AM »

Let's say someone commits a prank, and accidentally it results in another's death.

Probably homicide, first degree if the prank involved some criminal activity, second if it did not.  Definitely gonna lose any civil suit that is filed.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Depends on the jurisdiction.  Different places have different thresholds for when the self-defense justification can be used.  If accepted, no criminal or civil liability for the prankstee, and he may have a tort against the dead prankster's estate.

Of course, I'm assuming that the jury finds that the above is what happened in both cases.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:47:07 AM »

Let's say someone commits a prank, and accidentally it results in another's death.
If the death wouldn't have happened without the prank, the prankster is going to at least get hit with Manslaughter charges.  If the prank wasn't potentially deadly and just random sh**t caused by the prank kills the dude (like cellophane on the toilet, piss splashes on floor, victim jumps to avoid piss, slips and whacks head on bathtub) you might get a slap on the wrist, but if the prank had any reasonable chance to harm (like walking up behind somebody on the edge of the grand canyon and doing the push/grab "saved your life HAHA!" thing), the prankster is going to be screwed, as he should be.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Self defense yo, you would need a super bleeding heart jury to convict somebody for that.

I love pranks, love watching other people get pranked, but I hate the "easy" stuff.  Loud noises when somebody isn't expecting it isn't a prank and the victim isn't a pus (or whatever) because he/she jumped.  Doing sh**t to sleeping person isn't funny (ok, it is, but not when it's violent).  But the worst is the "mom/smaller sibling/aunt thinks she is alone so I'm going to put on this mask, grab a knife and go scare the sh**t out of her" kind of thing.  Those dudes need a serious ass kicking.  You put on a mask, grab a weapon and attempt to scare somebody, you deserve whatever hell comes to you and I doubt any jury would convict you.  (and you will likely suffer plenty anyway, knowing you killed your son or nephew or whatever, even with a good excuse, is still going to weigh on you)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 10:32:29 AM »

My guess would be voluntary manslaughter, at worst.

In the scenario you provided, the killer probably had a reasonable fear that he was facing death/bodily injury.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 01:27:37 AM »

Should go to trial, and should be guilty of manslaughter at least IMO; whoops my stupidity killed my friend durrrrr.....
BYUmormon
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:19 PM »

Or say, the prankster acts as if s/he were to become violent. The target believes s/he is in self-defense and kills the prankster.

What would the likely criminal or civil ramifications be here?
[/quote]

I'm not sure but I'd say it depends on how dangerous the situation looked. For example, if my friend was pretending he was about to punch me in the face I wouldn't go and shoot him, but if they got out a gun and pointed at me I guess it wouldn't be too bad to shoot him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies