Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:08:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 38
Author Topic: Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting  (Read 85563 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: August 31, 2012, 06:40:02 PM »

Putting this into the relevant thread.

History has taught us that strategic registration is a bad thing anyway.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #726 on: August 31, 2012, 07:02:51 PM »

Welcome to the Party, Velasco!

Please elaborate.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #727 on: August 31, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »

Please elaborate.

So are we all in on Operation Cottonfield?

Invading and taking over the IDS?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #728 on: August 31, 2012, 07:42:20 PM »

Please elaborate.

Oh, please. Close to half of the IDS population as-is consists of non-IRL Southerners.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #729 on: August 31, 2012, 07:44:51 PM »

Please elaborate.

Oh, please. Close to half of the IDS population as-is consists of non-IRL Southerners.

Those people are typically either non-US residents (Hagrid, Supersonic) or well-established and haven't moved (PiT).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #730 on: August 31, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »

Back in 2009, the RPP tried strategic registration. It left a bad taste in everybody's mouth and temporarily revitalized the anti-regionalist movement. Naturally not everyone is registered where they are in real life, but directly encouraging other people to move is a dangerous path to tread.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #731 on: August 31, 2012, 07:58:38 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2012, 08:03:01 PM by IDS Legislator Griffin »

Please elaborate.

Those people are typically either non-US residents (Hagrid, Supersonic) or well-established and haven't moved (PiT).

Before people become "well-established" in a region, they must first be new to that region. The only people from this party that I've seen re-locate are either established members of this game (an Associate Justice and a current Senator) or non-US residents. Much more legitimate than the proxy SOCKS Whig stuffing of banned individuals (Rhodie/BritishDixie, who was appointed to the Legislature, for Christ's sake) and the attempted merger of a regional rights party with a purely right-wing political party. I really see no moral high ground here to be taken by anyone.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #732 on: August 31, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »

Please elaborate.

Before people become "well-established" in a region, they must first be new to that region. The only people from this party that I've seen re-locate are either established members of this game (an Associate Justice and a current Senator) or non-US residents. Much more legitimate than the proxy SOCKS Whig stuffing of banned individuals (Rhodie/BritishDixie, who was appointed to the Legislature, for Christ's sake) and the attempted merger of a regional rights party with a purely right-wing political party. I really see no moral high ground here to be taken by anyone.

Those established members being one of Atlasia's most prominent enemies of the South and a failed Senator noted for inactivity and trolling the Senate floor? I would take it more easily if we at least got quality members to carpetbag down here. Tongue

Cite on the Whigs stuffing the region with socks? To bring this up, I assume you mean that they intentionally got banned members to re-register down here. As for the appointment, I've always made it a policy to give new members priority on appointment for vacancies and he was new. I'll admit I have some bias towards appointing right-wingers, but every executive wants to pass his agenda and my agenda has been vaguely of the right.

As for the merger, we have found by now that the Whigs are a more natural ally of the Imperial Bloc than Labor or the Liberals. Given a reported interest in greater cooperation between the two L's, greater cooperation between the Whigs and the IB seemed like a natural choice. Aside from the provision allowing IB members to run for Whig party offices, there's not much in there that screams "merger".
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #733 on: August 31, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »

Those established members being one of Atlasia's most prominent enemies of the South and a failed Senator noted for inactivity and trolling the Senate floor? I would take it more easily if we at least got quality members to carpetbag down here. Tongue

There'll be plenty of time and chances for review of other "quality" members.

Cite on the Whigs stuffing the region with socks? To bring this up, I assume you mean that they intentionally got banned members to re-register down here. As for the appointment, I've always made it a policy to give new members priority on appointment for vacancies and he was new.

I'll clarify to make sure that it wasn't taken the wrong way. I'm not insinuating that you knew that BD was a SOCK, but nonetheless that did turn out to be the case. I can't say the same for the Whigs, however, I have no proof either way. These sorts (SOCKS) are the true enemy of the South (and all regions) and likewise, failures.

I'll admit I have some bias towards appointing right-wingers, but every executive wants to pass his agenda and my agenda has been vaguely of the right.

Nothing wrong with that.

As for the merger, we have found by now that the Whigs are a more natural ally of the Imperial Bloc than Labor or the Liberals. Given a reported interest in greater cooperation between the two L's, greater cooperation between the Whigs and the IB seemed like a natural choice. Aside from the provision allowing IB members to run for Whig party offices, there's not much in there that screams "merger".

I would say that there has been a much-publicized series of disagreements between the Labor and Liberal Parties as of late, so I don't really buy the first part. However, I have observed that these negotiations between IB and Whig - at least in public - sprouted up at a very coincidental time to say the least. Again, nothing wrong with this, but nothing better nor worse about what the right is doing versus the left. It's a bit of tit for tat, don't you think?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #734 on: August 31, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »

There'll be plenty of time and chances for review of other "quality" members.

Maybe. I'll the same about the right, though. Strategic registration never worked for the RPP because it galvanized our opponents to recruit more people as well, offsetting our gains in any region.

Cite on the Whigs stuffing the region with socks? To bring this up, I assume you mean that they intentionally got banned members to re-register down here. As for the appointment, I've always made it a policy to give new members priority on appointment for vacancies and he was new.

I'll clarify to make sure that it wasn't taken the wrong way. I'm not insinuating that you knew that BD was a SOCK, but nonetheless that did turn out to be the case. I can't say the same for the Whigs, however, I have no proof either way. These sorts (SOCKS) are the true enemy of the South (and all regions) and likewise, failures.

More broadly, enemies of the forum. The only banned poster I can remember to come back and register socks for primarily political reasons was Hamilton. Others have registered a sock, but otherwise did not make much effort to actually do anything.

I would say that there has been a much-publicized series of disagreements between the Labor and Liberal Parties as of late, so I don't really buy the first part. However, I have observed that these negotiations between IB and Whig - at least in public - sprouted up at a very coincidental time to say the least. Again, nothing wrong with this, but nothing better nor worse about what the right is doing versus the left. It's a bit of tit for tat, don't you think?

The JCP and various left-wing parties in the past always seemed to have rocky relations, but ultimately they tended to unite. I don't expect any hard feelings between LIB and LAB to last. I'll grant that it is tit-for-tat, and so is this.

I'm just warning you, this plan will do less to help your party and more to hurt the regions. I've witnessed the effects of strategic registration firsthand, and the social ills that it bred set back the RPP's cause by about a year. I did support it at one point in time.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #735 on: August 31, 2012, 09:52:03 PM »

BritishDixie wasn't a sock... Rhodie was, and FreedomFighter was, but BritishDixie wasn't.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #736 on: September 01, 2012, 01:59:07 AM »

I tend to agree with PiT re: strategic registration. I remember all the nasty fighting about it all too well to want to risk seeing it again, so I'm politely sitting out "Operation Cottonfield." No offense to my party mates.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #737 on: September 01, 2012, 10:07:48 AM »

Hey everyone, I just registered as a Labour Georgian, completely randomly and un-stragetically : I live in France after all... So what's next for me ?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #738 on: September 01, 2012, 10:32:47 AM »

Hey everyone, I just registered as a Labour Georgian, completely randomly and un-stragetically : I live in France after all... So what's next for me ?

I don't know, have a go at running for Legislature.

And welcome to the party!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #739 on: September 01, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »

You've got one free move within your first seven days of registration. I'd suggest trying to actually revive one of the regions that's Labor-dominated and dead (is that a coincidence?)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #740 on: September 01, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »

You've got one free move within your first seven days of registration. I'd suggest trying to actually revive one of the regions that's Labor-dominated and dead (is that a coincidence?)

The Midwest and Pacific have never been activity hubs.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #741 on: September 01, 2012, 11:25:47 AM »

The Midwest and Pacific have never been activity hubs.

So? Are you suggesting we should just give up on them and go to a 3 or 4 region system?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #742 on: September 01, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »

I'd suggest trying to actually revive one of the regions that's Labor-dominated and dead (is that a coincidence?)

No.

So? Are you suggesting we should just give up on them and go to a 3 or 4 region system?

No.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #743 on: September 01, 2012, 04:05:53 PM »

Welcome Zanas! There's a lot to do, but I would recommend getting a few more posts first. You have to have 50 before you can vote in elections.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #744 on: September 01, 2012, 08:28:07 PM »

It was only a matter of time before this began again. Obviously you all are strategically registering. I just wish you wouldn't, because no one really wins.

Back when I was in the RPP I always opposed the idea of strategic registration because I feel it's bad for the game, and I still believe that. Concentrate on your strengths and stop worrying about your numbers in other regions. One party isn't meant to control all the regions anyway.

And please don't deny it's happening. I just checked the new register thread and its blatantly obvious, so lets just recognize we are all smart adults here. Tongue
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #745 on: September 01, 2012, 09:12:55 PM »

Back in 2009, the RPP tried strategic registration. It left a bad taste in everybody's mouth and temporarily revitalized the anti-regionalist movement. Naturally not everyone is registered where they are in real life, but directly encouraging other people to move is a dangerous path to tread.
Why would you be afraid of this?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #746 on: September 01, 2012, 10:05:10 PM »

Why would you be afraid of this?

I fear not the fall of all good things, but I warn because I love my region, the glorious Southland. I've dedicated years to promoting its station and good health, holding many fruitful discussions propagating a diversity of tradition in Atlasia, working alongside many good men, and raising our flag high in bold defiance of the will of the Northern government descending from above us. Regardless of what comes, we will remain ever steadfast in our dedication to the noblest of all causes.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #747 on: September 02, 2012, 12:59:31 AM »

That is ridiculous.
Attacking new members because of the region where they register.
I know you want to retain absolute control on your region, but that's ridiculous.
You should be ashamed of that behaviour.

I should add than I'll be ashamed if I discover than Labor encourage strategical registering.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #748 on: September 02, 2012, 02:06:30 AM »

That is ridiculous.
I know you want to retain absolute control on your region, but that's ridiculous.

I should add than I'll be ashamed if I discover than Labor encourage strategical registering.

I haven't attacked any new members. I haven't really attacked anyone other than opebo and Seatown, who came here from other regions. Given Labor's declared intentions of taking over the South was promptly followed by their moves down here, I strongly suspect strategic registration, and nobody in this thread has denied that that is the case.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #749 on: September 02, 2012, 07:04:01 AM »

That is ridiculous.

I haven't attacked any new members. I haven't really attacked anyone other than opebo and Seatown, who came here from other regions. Given Labor's declared intentions of taking over the South was promptly followed by their moves down here, I strongly suspect strategic registration, and nobody in this thread has denied that that is the case.

According to my sources, Seatown and Velasco were strategic registers, and that no-one specifically recruited Opebo or Zanas (though it appears they registered where they did due to reading and hearing about Cottonfield and the like).
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies