Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:54:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting  (Read 85999 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 21, 2012, 12:29:47 AM »

Congratulations indeed!
It's important to build up credibility and experience for our members, especially those who are newish to Atlasian politics.

Congrats!
Seems our party is indeed making some strides, even if they are small steps.

Thanks, everybody! Now to work on some legislation and recruiting more Labor members in the IDS. I still have no idea how I won, especially considering I'm the sole Labor member in the IDS. Had any vote been different, I most likely would not have made it. Any help, advice or encouragement for the future will be much appreciated.

Despite the right-wing leanings of the region, partisanship is pretty weak here. That's why a purely regional party focused on regional issues was able to gain so much traction here. With enough Southern pride, a good work ethic, and a little luck, anyone can succeed in the IDS.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »

Back in 2009, the RPP tried strategic registration. It left a bad taste in everybody's mouth and temporarily revitalized the anti-regionalist movement. Naturally not everyone is registered where they are in real life, but directly encouraging other people to move is a dangerous path to tread.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »

Welcome to the Party, Velasco!

Putting this into the relevant thread.

History has taught us that strategic registration is a bad thing anyway.

Please elaborate.

So are we all in on Operation Cottonfield?

Invading and taking over the IDS?

Oh, please. Close to half of the IDS population as-is consists of non-IRL Southerners.

Those people are typically either non-US residents (Hagrid, Supersonic) or well-established and haven't moved (PiT).

Before people become "well-established" in a region, they must first be new to that region. The only people from this party that I've seen re-locate are either established members of this game (an Associate Justice and a current Senator) or non-US residents. Much more legitimate than the proxy SOCKS Whig stuffing of banned individuals (Rhodie/BritishDixie, who was appointed to the Legislature, for Christ's sake) and the attempted merger of a regional rights party with a purely right-wing political party. I really see no moral high ground here to be taken by anyone.

Those established members being one of Atlasia's most prominent enemies of the South and a failed Senator noted for inactivity and trolling the Senate floor? I would take it more easily if we at least got quality members to carpetbag down here. Tongue

Cite on the Whigs stuffing the region with socks? To bring this up, I assume you mean that they intentionally got banned members to re-register down here. As for the appointment, I've always made it a policy to give new members priority on appointment for vacancies and he was new. I'll admit I have some bias towards appointing right-wingers, but every executive wants to pass his agenda and my agenda has been vaguely of the right.

As for the merger, we have found by now that the Whigs are a more natural ally of the Imperial Bloc than Labor or the Liberals. Given a reported interest in greater cooperation between the two L's, greater cooperation between the Whigs and the IB seemed like a natural choice. Aside from the provision allowing IB members to run for Whig party offices, there's not much in there that screams "merger".
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »

Those established members being one of Atlasia's most prominent enemies of the South and a failed Senator noted for inactivity and trolling the Senate floor? I would take it more easily if we at least got quality members to carpetbag down here. Tongue

There'll be plenty of time and chances for review of other "quality" members.

Maybe. I'll the same about the right, though. Strategic registration never worked for the RPP because it galvanized our opponents to recruit more people as well, offsetting our gains in any region.

Cite on the Whigs stuffing the region with socks? To bring this up, I assume you mean that they intentionally got banned members to re-register down here. As for the appointment, I've always made it a policy to give new members priority on appointment for vacancies and he was new.

I'll clarify to make sure that it wasn't taken the wrong way. I'm not insinuating that you knew that BD was a SOCK, but nonetheless that did turn out to be the case. I can't say the same for the Whigs, however, I have no proof either way. These sorts (SOCKS) are the true enemy of the South (and all regions) and likewise, failures.

More broadly, enemies of the forum. The only banned poster I can remember to come back and register socks for primarily political reasons was Hamilton. Others have registered a sock, but otherwise did not make much effort to actually do anything.

As for the merger, we have found by now that the Whigs are a more natural ally of the Imperial Bloc than Labor or the Liberals. Given a reported interest in greater cooperation between the two L's, greater cooperation between the Whigs and the IB seemed like a natural choice. Aside from the provision allowing IB members to run for Whig party offices, there's not much in there that screams "merger".

I would say that there has been a much-publicized series of disagreements between the Labor and Liberal Parties as of late, so I don't really buy the first part. However, I have observed that these negotiations between IB and Whig - at least in public - sprouted up at a very coincidental time to say the least. Again, nothing wrong with this, but nothing better nor worse about what the right is doing versus the left. It's a bit of tit for tat, don't you think?

The JCP and various left-wing parties in the past always seemed to have rocky relations, but ultimately they tended to unite. I don't expect any hard feelings between LIB and LAB to last. I'll grant that it is tit-for-tat, and so is this.

I'm just warning you, this plan will do less to help your party and more to hurt the regions. I've witnessed the effects of strategic registration firsthand, and the social ills that it bred set back the RPP's cause by about a year. I did support it at one point in time.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:05:10 PM »

Back in 2009, the RPP tried strategic registration. It left a bad taste in everybody's mouth and temporarily revitalized the anti-regionalist movement. Naturally not everyone is registered where they are in real life, but directly encouraging other people to move is a dangerous path to tread.
Why would you be afraid of this?

I fear not the fall of all good things, but I warn because I love my region, the glorious Southland. I've dedicated years to promoting its station and good health, holding many fruitful discussions propagating a diversity of tradition in Atlasia, working alongside many good men, and raising our flag high in bold defiance of the will of the Northern government descending from above us. Regardless of what comes, we will remain ever steadfast in our dedication to the noblest of all causes.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 02:06:30 AM »

That is ridiculous.
Attacking new members because of the region where they register.
I know you want to retain absolute control on your region, but that's ridiculous.
You should be ashamed of that behaviour.

I should add than I'll be ashamed if I discover than Labor encourage strategical registering.

I haven't attacked any new members. I haven't really attacked anyone other than opebo and Seatown, who came here from other regions. Given Labor's declared intentions of taking over the South was promptly followed by their moves down here, I strongly suspect strategic registration, and nobody in this thread has denied that that is the case.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies