Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:56:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Labor Party Standing Committee thread: Endorsement voting  (Read 86035 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: February 01, 2012, 04:11:50 AM »

Hi there ! Smiley The schedule seems very promising. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:24:03 AM »

Maybe we should also think about nominating a Presidential candidate, BTW ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 02:03:48 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2012, 02:06:51 PM by Antonio V »

This seems very promising ! Smiley

I'm also satisfied to see we're the second largest party in Atlasia, according to the latest census. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:31:02 AM »

I think we should endorse Hatman/Dr.Cynic for President

I'm seconding Hawkeye. Unless someone in the party is particularly interested in running, it would be wise to privilege left-wing unity by endorsing the washburnist ticket (this time). Second prefs aren't always as effective as we'd want them to be.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »

Should the Labor Party field its own ticket for this Presidential election?
[ ] Yes
[X] No

If the party does not field a ticket, which other candidate should it endorse?
[3] 20RP12
[1] EarlAW
[2] Polnut
[4] ZuWo
[ ] No endorsement
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 06:59:50 PM »

Hi guys,

I just want to let you all know I've decided not to run for re-election as Pacific Senator, and I encourage you all to run a candidate for Pacific Senator. Sbane is cool and it's not the end of the world if you don't, but please don't assume it will be a competitive election since I'm not running.

I hope someone wants to run. It would be great if we elected our first senator(s... we might have a shot in Midwest too).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 05:44:36 AM »

Well, if Barnes wants to run, so be it. Smiley I hope this won't alter our good relationship with our left-wing brother parties.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 02:49:06 PM »

Sorry I've been away; I've had Model UN stuff and whatnot. Incidentally, a number of my friends were at a Model UN conference at the University of Chicago this past weekend. Assume that everything Nathan said applies to me also, because he knows what he's doing.

I don't want too much bureaucracy with regard to organization; all that's necessary is a Leader and Deputy Leader. I still don't understand what a Whip would possibly do; if I'm not mistaken, that's an RPP invention.

I have no desire to run for Senate at this point. I would be all for Antonio.
Model UN sounds quite exciting; hope you had fun. Smiley

To be honest, I've never seen a Whip's position (in regards to Atlasian parties) clearly defined. It can easily be filled by the Chairman or Deputy.

Just to get things moving, I move that Nathan be officially declared Chairman by unanimous consent.

Seconded.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 02:09:29 PM »

If it might help you, this is the rough draft I proposed when I founded the SDC :

Here is the idea for a basic platform :
- We support an active involvement of the State in the economy, in order to establish a fair repartition of wealth, to protect the neediest citizens against destitution and to guarantee everybody a universal access to basic services like health and school.
- We support tough regulations on businesses, in order to avoid corporate abuses of power and behaviours detrimental to workers or consumers.
- We support strict gender, racial, religious equality, to be enforced through means that keep the society united. We refuse to split the national community into sub-communities and commit to treat equally every citizen.
- We support a person's freedom to do everything that doesn't harm himself or another person. We believe that the government's job isn't to impose a moral code, even if such moral code is supported by a majority. We commit to protect religious freedom, and also the freedom not to believe.
- We support environmental legislation that will help Atlasia contributing to the reduction of global warming and ensure for every citizen a better quality of life.
- We support a Human Rights diplomacy, based on the idea that every world citizen yearns to live free. We refuse developing friendships with dictators in the name of selfish national interests. We also refuse neoconservative theories, and believe that Atlasia's job is not to uniterally implement regime changes.

It's very brief and vague, but it could serve as a base for further developments.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »

That's why I said "himself or another person". This might plainly justify legislating on matters like drugs or prostitution for example. I exactly wanted to make sure we avoid falling into the libertarian locig.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 06:24:32 AM »

I thought the convention was adjourned until elections ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 06:20:43 AM »

Come on people ! If all the party members vote for Barnes he has a good chance at winning !
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 05:27:52 AM »

I fully support this plank.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 08:32:53 AM »

Health care should indeed be universal, free and publicly run.

I think our next policy priority should be taxation (after all, we can't have any effective government program without a well-functioning fiscal system). I'd go with something like this.

The Labor Party believe in the necessity of a substantial taxation. Taxes are a necessity in order for the government to establish public services and run them to the benefits of all, but they also have an intrinsecal positive value as a mean of redistribution and social solidarity. That's why the fiscal system shall be based on the principle of progressivity : every citizen should contribute depending on their means. The core of the fiscal system shall be a highly progressive Income Tax, with the highest marginal rate reaching a level superior to three quarters. Capital gains shall be included into the income tax, because it is unacceptable that stockholders be exempt of the taxes paid by the workers. Other sources of revenues (consumption taxes, corporate taxes, wealth taxes) might be established, but the main revenue shall still come from the taxation of incomes. Inheritances shall be subjected to taxation as progressive or more progressive than regular incomes. Tax loopholes might have some utility, but they should be capped so that they don't become a way for wealthy people to avoid contributing to the public wealth as they should. Finally, tax evasion and fraud must be fought restlessly, and the State authorities in charge of this task shall be heavily funded and equipped.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 04:21:28 AM »

Guys...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 06:08:37 PM »

I think our next policy priority should be taxation (after all, we can't have any effective government program without a well-functioning fiscal system). I'd go with something like this.

The Labor Party believe in the necessity of a substantial taxation. Taxes are a necessity in order for the government to establish public services and run them to the benefits of all, but they also have an intrinsecal positive value as a mean of redistribution and social solidarity. That's why the fiscal system shall be based on the principle of progressivity : every citizen should contribute depending on their means. The core of the fiscal system shall be a highly progressive Income Tax, with the highest marginal rate reaching a level superior to three quarters. Capital gains shall be included into the income tax, because it is unacceptable that stockholders be exempt of the taxes paid by the workers. Other sources of revenues (consumption taxes, corporate taxes, wealth taxes) might be established, but the main revenue shall still come from the taxation of incomes. Inheritances shall be subjected to taxation as progressive or more progressive than regular incomes. Tax loopholes might have some utility, but they should be capped so that they don't become a way for wealthy people to avoid contributing to the public wealth as they should. Finally, tax evasion and fraud must be fought restlessly, and the State authorities in charge of this task shall be heavily funded and equipped.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 05:39:38 AM »

It's not unheard of for first-time office seekers to be elected to the Senate.

Please don't remind me about Senator Mint. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 07:06:25 AM »

Guys, don't let this party die...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »

Why has everyone ignored my proposal regarding taxes ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 05:08:44 AM »

This one.

I think it's a key stance we need to discuss. Opinions on this rough draft ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 05:30:48 AM »

I'd support tax exemptions but there is after all already that 'depending on their means' in Antonio's language. Do you think we could finesse that?

I think all is here : "Tax loopholes might have some utility, but they should be capped so that they don't become a way for wealthy people to avoid contributing to the public wealth as they should." Basically, OK to exemptions, as long as you can't cumulate them in a way that renders income tax utterly void.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 02:15:37 PM »

That's how you people prefer. Maybe we should have a debate on the maximal tax rate ?

If it were for me, it'd be 90% Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 01:24:06 PM »

Well, that depends on what the brackets are. We could tax billionaires at 99% and they'd still be extremely rich. Here's my idea of a possible national tax plan:

<30K 0%
30K-60K, 10%
60K-120K: 15%
120K-200K: 25%:
200K-500K: 35%:
500K-1M: 45%
1M-10M: 60%
10M-100M: 75%
100M-1B: 90%:
>1B: 99%

I'm all for this one. Snowstalker's and Nathan's are acceptable, as well.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 07:33:25 AM »

I should remind you that I am an at-large Senator.

I am, however, thinking of not running for reelection.

Why Nathan ? Sad
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »

Speaking of leadership positions, I nominate Snowstalker for Vice-Chair.

Seconded.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies