Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 04:57:49 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  Anti-Conscription Amendment [Rejected]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Anti-Conscription Amendment [Rejected]  (Read 5546 times)
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 07:52:01 am »
Ignore

Aye

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Fmr. President & Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 07:56:12 am »
Ignore

I'm changing my vote to nay, but because I think the language needs to be tightened

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 08:20:44 am »
Ignore

Conscription is slavery.

President William McKinley
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 08:46:03 am »
Ignore

Conscription is slavery.
Without conscription, slavery would still exist as the Union would not have had the manpower to win the war

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 10:29:13 am »
Ignore

Conscription is slavery.
Without conscription, slavery would still exist as the Union would not have had the manpower to win the war

So using slavery to abolish slavery? Hmm.

President William McKinley
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 10:41:44 am »
Ignore

Conscription is slavery.

So using slavery to abolish slavery? Hmm.
I am glad you do not seem to have had experiences in life which have made you realize how dangerous the world really is...maybe I am a pessimist and I am definitely less happy because of it

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 03:16:40 pm »
Ignore

The world is only as dangerous as our desire to pursue an irrational right wing foreign policy allows it to be. I've been a leading voice for foreign policy reform to make this world safer and I do not believe in using fear as a political tool.

Please Senators, don't let the Russians, a folk of alcoholic homophobic, take Crimee
Junkie
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2012, 09:54:38 pm »
Ignore

I urge the Senate to defeat the Amendment.  Conscription is not pretty, nor do I support it, but it is a tool that we should have, if the need arises.

You first.

Okay.  I served in the army, but I will admit not in time of war.  Does that make my position that conscription can serve a purpose more valid?  Or is there no way that anyone can validly believe in a need for conscription in your opinion?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:56:23 pm by Junkie »Logged
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 10:33:05 pm »
Ignore

The world is only as dangerous as our desire to pursue an irrational right wing foreign policy allows it to be. I've been a leading voice for foreign policy reform to make this world safer and I do not believe in using fear as a political tool.

You know I respect your position on this. But often war doesn't always come about because of our policies.

Mideast Assemblyman Ben
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 10:51:28 am »
Ignore

False.  The world is not dangerous because of our foreign policy (which is not even remotely right wing).  Our foreign policy is a response to international events, not vice versa.  We are also not using fear as a political tool.  We'red saying conscription is something that should be an option.  Not used, but an option.  It's the supporters of this Amendment, with all their talk of slavery, that are using fear as a political tool.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 11:12:50 am »
Ignore

False.  The world is not dangerous because of our foreign policy (which is not even remotely right wing).  Our foreign policy is a response to international events, not vice versa.  We are also not using fear as a political tool.  We'red saying conscription is something that should be an option.  Not used, but an option.  It's the supporters of this Amendment, with all their talk of slavery, that are using fear as a political tool.

You don't think the ability to introduce a draft and send people to die for the sake of some folly is a legitimate fear? Conscription is a massive infringement of human and civil rights, and quite frankly, we're no better than our enemies if we have to resort to that.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 12:55:33 pm »
Ignore

Well, you're both at least half way there.  Our foreign policy is a response to international events, and it can sometimes "make the world dangerous".  That's all dependent on how we choose to respond, obviously.
Junkie
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2012, 06:44:38 pm »
Ignore

Well, you're both at least half way there.  Our foreign policy is a response to international events, and it can sometimes "make the world dangerous".  That's all dependent on how we choose to respond, obviously.

Can't this become a "chicken or the egg" type argument?
Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 12:31:19 am »
Ignore

I'll change my vote to Nay. The amendment still isn't failing by a majority though. I realized I haven't changed the title of this thread, which probably doesn't help get attention, so I apologize for that. Either way, continue!

bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2012, 12:42:34 am »
Ignore

abstain

Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2012, 01:11:34 am »
Ignore

I'll change my vote to Nay. The amendment still isn't failing by a majority though. I realized I haven't changed the title of this thread, which probably doesn't help get attention, so I apologize for that. Either way, continue!

Yea, something tells me that might help. Call it a hunch. Tongue

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

MOP
MOPolitico
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2012, 11:46:29 am »
Ignore

Nay
Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 10:00:23 am »
Ignore

New attempt at a passable amendment:

Anti-Conscription Amendment

The Republic of Atlasia shall not conscript or enforce conscription of any citizen unless there is a land invasion of the Atlasian homeland by a sovereign government. In the event of such an attack, conscription must only be used on citizens at least eighteen years of age, and must allow exemptions for conscientious objectors, the infirm or otherwise disabled, those already enrolled in a higher education institution at the time conscription begins, or heads of single parent households.
Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 10:13:40 am »
Ignore

The amendment has failed.

Before we move on to dealing with the other amendments. Jake, would you consider withdrawing your amendment for the sake of the consideration of TJ's? And/or I'd like Napoleon's input on these amendments before we move on to a new vote.

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2012, 06:57:59 pm »
Ignore

The wording is better on this amendment but I still consider it unfriendly. Where is Jake's amendment?

Please Senators, don't let the Russians, a folk of alcoholic homophobic, take Crimee
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2012, 08:35:05 pm »
Ignore

I withdraw my amendment on the grounds that I was never being serious.

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2012, 10:55:24 pm »
Ignore

So, since Napoleon is unfriendly to the amendment, and Jake withdraws his previous, we are now voting on the following amendment. Please vote aye, nay, or abstain:

The Republic of Atlasia shall not conscript or enforce conscription of any citizen unless there is a land invasion of the Atlasian homeland by a sovereign government. In the event of such an attack, conscription must only be used on citizens at least eighteen years of age, and must allow exemptions for conscientious objectors, the infirm or otherwise disabled, those already enrolled in a higher education institution at the time conscription begins, or heads of single parent households.

Aye.

Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2012, 10:56:16 pm »
Ignore

Aye
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2012, 11:02:49 pm »
Ignore

So, since Napoleon is unfriendly to the amendment, and Jake withdraws his previous, we are now voting on the following amendment. Please vote aye, nay, or abstain:

Aye.

I would like to propose an amendment to this amendment.

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2012, 01:00:37 am »
Ignore

Nay Tongue

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout