Anti-Conscription Amendment [Rejected]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:31:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Anti-Conscription Amendment [Rejected]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Anti-Conscription Amendment [Rejected]  (Read 12136 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 07:52:01 AM »

Aye
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 07:56:12 AM »

I'm changing my vote to nay, but because I think the language needs to be tightened
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 08:20:44 AM »

Conscription is slavery.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »

Without conscription, slavery would still exist as the Union would not have had the manpower to win the war
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »

Without conscription, slavery would still exist as the Union would not have had the manpower to win the war

So using slavery to abolish slavery? Hmm.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »

So using slavery to abolish slavery? Hmm.
I am glad you do not seem to have had experiences in life which have made you realize how dangerous the world really is...maybe I am a pessimist and I am definitely less happy because of it
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 03:16:40 PM »

The world is only as dangerous as our desire to pursue an irrational right wing foreign policy allows it to be. I've been a leading voice for foreign policy reform to make this world safer and I do not believe in using fear as a political tool.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2012, 09:54:38 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2012, 09:56:23 PM by Junkie »

I urge the Senate to defeat the Amendment.  Conscription is not pretty, nor do I support it, but it is a tool that we should have, if the need arises.

You first.

Okay.  I served in the army, but I will admit not in time of war.  Does that make my position that conscription can serve a purpose more valid?  Or is there no way that anyone can validly believe in a need for conscription in your opinion?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 10:33:05 PM »

The world is only as dangerous as our desire to pursue an irrational right wing foreign policy allows it to be. I've been a leading voice for foreign policy reform to make this world safer and I do not believe in using fear as a political tool.

You know I respect your position on this. But often war doesn't always come about because of our policies.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 10:51:28 AM »

False.  The world is not dangerous because of our foreign policy (which is not even remotely right wing).  Our foreign policy is a response to international events, not vice versa.  We are also not using fear as a political tool.  We'red saying conscription is something that should be an option.  Not used, but an option.  It's the supporters of this Amendment, with all their talk of slavery, that are using fear as a political tool.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »

False.  The world is not dangerous because of our foreign policy (which is not even remotely right wing).  Our foreign policy is a response to international events, not vice versa.  We are also not using fear as a political tool.  We'red saying conscription is something that should be an option.  Not used, but an option.  It's the supporters of this Amendment, with all their talk of slavery, that are using fear as a political tool.

You don't think the ability to introduce a draft and send people to die for the sake of some folly is a legitimate fear? Conscription is a massive infringement of human and civil rights, and quite frankly, we're no better than our enemies if we have to resort to that.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »

Well, you're both at least half way there.  Our foreign policy is a response to international events, and it can sometimes "make the world dangerous".  That's all dependent on how we choose to respond, obviously.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2012, 06:44:38 PM »

Well, you're both at least half way there.  Our foreign policy is a response to international events, and it can sometimes "make the world dangerous".  That's all dependent on how we choose to respond, obviously.

Can't this become a "chicken or the egg" type argument?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 12:31:19 AM »

I'll change my vote to Nay. The amendment still isn't failing by a majority though. I realized I haven't changed the title of this thread, which probably doesn't help get attention, so I apologize for that. Either way, continue!
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2012, 12:42:34 AM »

abstain
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2012, 01:11:34 AM »

I'll change my vote to Nay. The amendment still isn't failing by a majority though. I realized I haven't changed the title of this thread, which probably doesn't help get attention, so I apologize for that. Either way, continue!

Yea, something tells me that might help. Call it a hunch. Tongue
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »

Nay
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 10:00:23 AM »

New attempt at a passable amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 10:13:40 AM »

The amendment has failed.

Before we move on to dealing with the other amendments. Jake, would you consider withdrawing your amendment for the sake of the consideration of TJ's? And/or I'd like Napoleon's input on these amendments before we move on to a new vote.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2012, 06:57:59 PM »

The wording is better on this amendment but I still consider it unfriendly. Where is Jake's amendment?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »

I withdraw my amendment on the grounds that I was never being serious.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2012, 10:55:24 PM »

So, since Napoleon is unfriendly to the amendment, and Jake withdraws his previous, we are now voting on the following amendment. Please vote aye, nay, or abstain:

Aye.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2012, 10:56:16 PM »

Aye
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2012, 11:02:49 PM »

So, since Napoleon is unfriendly to the amendment, and Jake withdraws his previous, we are now voting on the following amendment. Please vote aye, nay, or abstain:

Aye.

I would like to propose an amendment to this amendment.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2012, 01:00:37 AM »

Nay Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies