Secretary of Internal Affairs Abolition Act [Motion to Table]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:48:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Secretary of Internal Affairs Abolition Act [Motion to Table]
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Secretary of Internal Affairs Abolition Act [Motion to Table]  (Read 2770 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:20:09 AM »
« edited: February 25, 2012, 09:06:23 PM by Mad Marokai, PPT »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

(Slot 5: General, excluding Amendments.)

Sponsor: Nathan
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:29:26 AM »

Now then, since the Senate biz is all settled, I would just like to say that I support this, with a heavy heart. I firmly believe, as one myself, that the GM needed assistants, but the Secretary of Internal Affairs position has been a miserable failure. I can't think of a single memorable one, and we've cycled more people through that job than I can remember.

As someone who voted to create the position a few years back, I'll support getting rid of it here and now, but I think the Senate needs to give some serious consideration to the Game Moderator's needs here, because getting rid of the SoIA may cut dead weight, but it doesn't solve a very real problem.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »

This would need to be a constitutional amendment, no?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »

As somebody who has applied for the job under both President Tmthforu94 and now President-elect Polnut, I must say that I cannot support this bill. It is important that we have an SoIA or something along the lines of an SoIA, so we can keep the public as active and knowledgeable as possible. That being said, whomever fills the position has to be active in order for that to happen.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:59:25 PM »

Knowing what I know now, I think the person who will be holding this position next has amazing potential and should be given a fair chance. That being said, I ask the Senate to table this bill and reconsider it 2 months from now.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:54:27 PM »

I always thought this position was pointless.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 01:22:41 PM »

Knowing what I know now, I think the person who will be holding this position next has amazing potential and should be given a fair chance. That being said, I ask the Senate to table this bill and reconsider it 2 months from now.
I introduce a motion to table, then.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »

Seconded.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »

Seconded.

I believe we should improve this position by assigning more duties to the officeholder and, of course, appointing qualified people for the job.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 09:06:11 PM »

We're now voting on a motion to table this legislation. Please vote aye, nay, or abstain.

Nay.

Guys, stop shying away from solving problems just because you have no current solution. I hate to lecture people like this (though it's never stopped me before) but this position has been worthless and we've had no one in nearly 3 years that's done anything worthwhile in it. The idea that it will suddenly prove it's true worth in the next couple of months is insane. Tabling this will be a waste of time. Solve a problem, don't shove it under the rug.

Seconded.

I believe we should improve this position by assigning more duties to the officeholder and, of course, appointing qualified people for the job.

Are you actually a Senator right now?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »

We're now voting on a motion to table this legislation. Please vote aye, nay, or abstain.

Nay.

Guys, stop shying away from solving problems just because you have no current solution. I hate to lecture people like this (though it's never stopped me before) but this position has been worthless and we've had no one in nearly 3 years that's done anything worthwhile in it. The idea that it will suddenly prove it's true worth in the next couple of months is insane. Tabling this will be a waste of time. Solve a problem, don't shove it under the rug.

Seconded.

Are you actually a Senator right now?

I was confirmed by the Assembly to fill Napoleon's vacancy, so yes.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:11:14 PM »

Aye.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »

Ah right, right, silly Northeastern procedure. Tongue
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 09:13:08 PM »

Aye.

Are you kidding me? How is this shying away? I for one believe the position is crucial to encouraging activity.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »

Aye.

Are you kidding me? How is this shying away? I for one believe the position is crucial to encouraging activity.

How? How the hell has it done anything? Activity, especially! Every SoIA in recent memory has sat in their thread and done almost nothing. Not only is the position redundant and not proved it's worth, but it's proven itself to be nearly as inactive as the Attorney General vacancy.

Everytime this issue comes up, people respond in the exact same way; we give it more and more time. Two more months. Another Presidential term. Let's try this new person. It never. works. Let's stop trying to be nice about it and get rid of it once and for all.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 09:18:30 PM »

I've applied for the position under President-elect Polnut and I'm fairly certain that I'm going to get it. I'm also certain that if I am given the job--which I would be honored to fill--I would be an active SoIA. Perhaps maybe someone like me is what the position needs. If you have an active SoIA, great things can happen. No one can guarantee activity. Every Senator and Governor and President campaigns, sure. But what about when they win? What happens when they go AWOL? We never know when it'll happen. You can't abolish a perfectly useful position (on paper)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 09:20:23 PM »

Okay, fine. I'll change my vote to Aye on the motion to table. Good luck with the job, though.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 09:30:48 PM »

Aye
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 07:31:10 PM »

Aye
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 08:14:32 PM »

Am I going crazy, or did the Senate table almost this same bill like a month ago?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 08:23:14 PM »

Am I going crazy, or did the Senate table almost this same bill like a month ago?

It may have been the GTO Ambassador bill, which was recently tabled.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »

nay
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »

It may have been the GTO Ambassador bill, which was recently tabled.
No, I was thinking of the Sanity Act. I guess it was rejected rather than tabled.  But the thing that sticks in my mind is that this issue of what exactly the SoIA is supposed to do keeps coming up, and keeps getting punted.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 08:01:50 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies