Amendment to the Caucus Infrastructure and Formation Act [Rejected]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:00:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Amendment to the Caucus Infrastructure and Formation Act [Rejected]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Amendment to the Caucus Infrastructure and Formation Act [Rejected]  (Read 5553 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:09:23 AM »
« edited: March 02, 2012, 02:49:54 AM by Mad Marokai, PPT »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

(Slot: Forum Affairs/Emergency)
(I'm interpreting these as forum affairs laws, and holding off on introducing any of the other amendments to that act to avoid confusion, because there's two more amendments to the original Act in the que right now and that could all be a clusterfukc.)

Sponsor: TJ in Cleve
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:34:37 AM »

Now that the two parties have agreed to dissolve, there isn't really any reason to oppose this.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2012, 01:40:43 PM by Senator Napoleon »

This is a disaster waiting to happen. Anyone who votes in favor of this bill is an idiot. There isn't even a point in having parties when you have other parties undermining that. Keep your caucuses off of my ballot!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 01:47:33 PM »

Now that the two parties have agreed to dissolve, there isn't really any reason to oppose this.

So the new parties don't deserve any sort of legitimacy? Definitely not fair. People can have their stupid multiparty caucuses and they can also keep them off of ballots, the way any normal democracy functions. Or else why even limit caucuses? Why not five caucuses? Three caucuses certainly isn't enough.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »

So the new parties don't deserve any sort of legitimacy? Definitely not fair. People can have their stupid multiparty caucuses and they can also keep them off of ballots, the way any normal democracy functions. Or else why even limit caucuses? Why not five caucuses? Three caucuses certainly isn't enough.
I was mostly referring to the part about removing restrictions on caucus membership, since that was the most controversial part last time. Here's my solution, if people still have a problem with that: Allow caucuses to decide for themselves if they want to be multi-party or intra-party. Otherwise, I'm ambivalent about caucuses appearing on the ballot, with really no preference either way.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »

The only point of this bill is to put multiparty caucuses on the ballot, wholly undermining the parties we already have for no good reason at all. Caucuses can have whoever they want as a member but they don't need to be recognized by the SoFE. It isn't as if we are restricting freedom of assembly by not passing this.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »

Anyone who votes in favor of this bill is an idiot.
While at this point, I agree with you on this bill, calling your colleagues idiots is completely unnecessary in this chamber. There are much better ways you can get your point across.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »

Anyone who votes in favor of this bill is an idiot.
While at this point, I agree with you on this bill, calling your colleagues idiots is completely unnecessary in this chamber. There are much better ways you can get your point across.

None of my colleagues have voted in favor of this bill!

But yeah I do take my comment back. Seriously, though, this does more bad than good. Even if I did support this I would want to wait and see how the new parties develop before I go around stirring up trouble with such disruptions.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 03:25:14 PM »

I am open to a different number of caucuses; that's not the main point of this bill, which, by the way was written long before the dissolution votes when it looked as if the RPP was not going to dissolve. I just fail to see why caucuses need to be limited to one party. Listing caucuses on the ballot at all is a little strange, but it's an interesting way to try to make them relevent, which otherwise would probably not happen.

Immediately following the passage of the first caucus bill, there was a rush to join caucuses and a widespread confusion from non-members of the RPP and JCP as to why they were not allowed to officially join them. My purpose in this amendment is to fix that issue so that anyone can join.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »

I would prefer abolition of all caucuses to this change. Again, WHY do they need to be on the ballot? We are going to have four sets of parties on the ballot now for each candidate? This is a joke.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »

This is creating way too many complications.

Basically, more or less, a citizen can be a part of four organizations - 1 party and 3 caucus. Am I correct in that? We might as well let citizen's join as many parties as they want. Sure would help in securing zombie voters.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 06:00:44 PM »

Yeah, at this point, it's a little unnecessary to pass this.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »

I support multiparty caucuses, but I'm willing to let them go for a little while because the party situation right now is quite hectic and deserves to shake out on it's own for awhile. And even if we did let multiparty caucuses into law, there's no way I would support allowing people be a member of multiple multiparty caucuses.

I will not at all, however, support the abolition of caucuses. They have worked quite well so far and deserve to continue forward as part of Atlasia in the future. This mad dash Napoleon keeps trying to make to shutting down, limiting, or amending out of existence, any of the reforms this Senate passes, is baffling.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 06:20:09 PM »

Please point to where I said I wanted to get rid of the current caucus system.

I happen to be the only member of my party in a caucus!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 01:35:04 AM »

Puts on Senate Dean Cap -
I would strongly encourage Senators not to engage in denegrating each other with personal insults.

Thank You!

Sen. NC Yankee,
Senate Dean

I am firmly opposed to caucuses appearing on ballots.

I am partial to allowing people to have membership in more then one caucus and have no problem if there is multiple parties within a single caucus.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 03:00:38 AM »

I've introduced an amendment to this bill that would allow us to suspend it. I definitely don't think it's necessary now.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 03:30:40 AM »

This is ridiculous. Caucuses have no negative side effects, and there is absolutely no harm in letting them continue as a permanent fixture of the game. I don't understand where this desire comes from to immediately try and wipe away things we just worked our asses off to pass for literally no reason.

Forgive me for getting a little pissed off at the thought of months and months of campaigning and screaming at people and writing legislation and compromising with people getting tossed aside just because some people think that just because we dissolved the big parties we're now perfectly solved and can just go back to the way things were. That is insane.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 04:48:07 PM »

I guess if no one else is going to:

Quote from: Restricted
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 10:01:34 PM »

This is ridiculous. Caucuses have no negative side effects, and there is absolutely no harm in letting them continue as a permanent fixture of the game. I don't understand where this desire comes from to immediately try and wipe away things we just worked our asses off to pass for literally no reason.

Forgive me for getting a little pissed off at the thought of months and months of campaigning and screaming at people and writing legislation and compromising with people getting tossed aside just because some people think that just because we dissolved the big parties we're now perfectly solved and can just go back to the way things were. That is insane.

and I still think it's silly to have two sets of parties on the ballot....
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 10:01:42 AM »

I guess if no one else is going to:

Quote from: Restricted

I object.

We are now voting on this amendment. Please vote aye, nay, or abstain.

(and I strongly encourage people to vote nay, to protect the point of this entire system in the first place)

Nay.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 10:06:01 AM »

Nay.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 10:35:15 AM »

Nay
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 01:01:15 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 12:51:53 AM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 12:57:19 AM »

I challenge the notion that the only way to play it is to have caucuses be placed on the ballots.

And I object to you sitting on my amendment for six days. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies