How would al Qaeda react to Mormons "baptizing" Osama bin Laden?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:57:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  How would al Qaeda react to Mormons "baptizing" Osama bin Laden?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would al Qaeda react to Mormons "baptizing" Osama bin Laden?  (Read 2459 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:02:49 PM »

Terrorist attacks on Mormon temples?

Mind you I have no doubt this has already happened (probably multiple times too.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:29:32 AM »

Baptizing Bin Laden has happened? Or temples being firebombed? Or just baptizing Muslims posthumously?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »

Baptizing Bin Laden has happened? Or temples being firebombed? Or just baptizing Muslims posthumously?

The first. Mormons basically "baptize" any high profile person who dies, so I figured that this has already been done.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »

You know that you don't have to make a thread every time you have a thought, right?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 11:38:36 AM »

Anyways, here be the relevant wiki passages.

"The LDS Church teaches that those in the afterlife who have been baptized by proxy are free to accept or reject the ordinance done on their behalf. Baptism on behalf of a deceased individual is not binding if that individual chooses to reject it in the afterlife."
Anybody at all serious about their study worship of a different faith is going to, after being mildly offended, just laugh this silly custom off. That includes Al Qaeda... but not nearly all the people we like to group as Islamists.

LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter confirmed that someone did perform a proxy baptism for [Obama's mother], but said it was 'counter to Church policy for a church member to submit names for baptism for persons to whom they are not related'."
"Genealogist Bernard Kouchel conducted a search of the International Genealogical Index, and discovered that many well known Jews had been vicariously baptized, including Maimonides, Albert Einstein, and Irving Berlin, without family permission.
Church official D. Todd Christofferson told the New York Times that the church expends massive amounts of resources attempting to purge improperly submitted names, but that it is not feasible to expect the Church to find each and every last one, and that the agreement in 1995 did not place this type of responsibility on the centralized church leadership."

While not impossible, it would basically be a troll who's also a Mormon who did it, not "Mormons".
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »

wat
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 12:06:10 PM »

New Apostolics do it too.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 12:26:55 PM »

And for a really bizarre use of the practice... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Whittaker_Taylor
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »

Mormons baptize, Catholics pray to Mary and all the saints to guide the recently deceased into heaven... I don't think it's that unusual.  But under that belief, you have to believe that someone like Hitler could very well be in Heaven.  And American evangelical protestants tend to want to collect your ticket to heaven before you die...
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »

Mormons baptize, Catholics pray to Mary and all the saints to guide the recently deceased into heaven... I don't think it's that unusual.  But under that belief, you have to believe that someone like Hitler could very well be in Heaven.  And American evangelical protestants tend to want to collect your ticket to heaven before you die...

Just because you pray for someone to get into heaven after they die doesn't mean they will. Prayer isn't a command to God.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »

Just because you pray for someone to get into heaven after they die doesn't mean they will. Prayer isn't a command to God.

I'm not sure how you could infer that what I said means I believe prayer is a command to God. 

The priest who taught me basic Catholic theology basically said there was an in between state where your soul is not in heaven or hell... but it's not purgatory in the sense that most people think.  Instead, he believed that when you die, you are in the dark... and depending on your faithfulness and the type of life you live, you can find the love and light of God.  For those who are faithful and live good lives will find heaven very easily.

He basically believed that there was no hell like we think of it.. fire and brimstone and a horned devil tormenting you for eternity... but that "hell" is actually wandering around aimlessly in this black void without seeing the light of God and heaven.  You know it is there, but you cannot find it... and it is this absence of God that torments the soul.

So Christians pray, on All Saints Day, for example, for God and the saints (all those in heaven) to help guide the lost souls towards the light of God. 

When the final judgment comes, those who are in heaven and those living on earth that have been faithful will enter the kingdom of God.  Those who are not in heaven or shunned God on earth in the end times will be cast into the lake of fire for eternity.

Until then, everyone who dies has the chance of making it to heaven, no matter how awful they were in this life.  It's just that those that didn't know God in this life will have a harder time finding him in the afterlife.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 04:05:51 PM »

Wouldn't Hitler be in hell for suicide and lack of properly administered Extreme Unction per his childhood Roman Catholic Church anyway?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 10:12:34 PM »

Wouldn't Hitler be in hell for suicide and lack of properly administered Extreme Unction per his childhood Roman Catholic Church anyway?

What? The Catholic church does not teach that this is necessary for salvation.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 10:39:35 AM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »

Maybe I am wrong on this, but my impression is that Mormons just baptize their ancestors, and related clan members. My maternal grandmother great grandparents have been baptized apparently. At least on the LDS genealogical website, someone put up the family tree, which is what one does to research who "needs" to get into the celestial kingdom posthumously.

Anyway, I doubt any of Osama's descendants or other parts of his clan have any LDS members at the moment.

And I have an LDS first cousin once removed  (a convert, and now a rather high ranking member of the outfit), so I might get into the celestial kingdom at some point too. But it would be a big mistake to let me in really. Tongue
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »

Didn't they baptize holocaust victims?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 06:45:21 PM »

Yes. They also baptized Hitler, so that might lead to some violence in Mormon Heaven.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 04:51:40 AM »

Did anybody see Real Time with Bill Maher this week? Apparently, the Mormon Church did this to Ann Romney's father after he died (he was a fervent atheist).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZf0xlgJrkY
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 05:01:57 AM »

Which is what spawned this thread, yes.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »

Did it? This was posted on 1/27, that's when the news came out. Didn't know if some who had been discussing had saw the Real Time clip, as it came out on 2/3.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies