FL: Allen West Switching Districts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:30:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL: Allen West Switching Districts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: FL: Allen West Switching Districts  (Read 6283 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »

Allen was unnecessarily gerrymandered out of his district. Florida is going to gain seats. This is the establishment punishing West for being an outspoken TEA Partier.

Why didn't they gerrymander Debbie Wassermann Schultz out of her district?

To those who call Allen West a war criminal, you're wrong. They did this because he's a Tea Partier and Crist is seething from loosing to the Tea Party.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 10:33:19 AM »

Allen was unnecessarily gerrymandered out of his district. Florida is going to gain seats. This is the establishment punishing West for being an outspoken TEA Partier.

Why didn't they gerrymander Debbie Wassermann Schultz out of her district?

To those who call Allen West a war criminal, you're wrong. They did this because he's a Tea Partier and Crist is seething from loosing to the Tea Party.

What control could Crist have over the redistricting process?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 12:12:42 PM »

Crist has considerable influance in Florida inspite of his defeat in the Senate race.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »

You know there's really no way to make any district in that area any more Republican anyway, right?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 05:09:39 PM »

If he doesn't run for Governor as a Democrat in 2014, I'd like to see Crist run for the Pinellas district when Bill Young retires.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 05:46:11 PM »

Adam Hasner is running against Frankel now, and it looks like I will get my 18 service hours working for his already doomed campaign.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »

Adam Hasner is running against Frankel now, and it looks like I will get my 18 service hours working for his already doomed campaign.

So you don't think Hasner has a chance?
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 06:42:58 PM »

Allen's old district was gerrymandered to the tee. I don't get why he's running in a district 90 miles away from home. Urban south Florida is different from that stretch between Palm Beach and Daytona.
Anyways, Allen West was a teacher at my school a few years before I went there and he was so jarred by the proportion of Muslims kids in his History class he left and went back to war. I really dislike the man.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 09:42:54 PM »

Allen's old district was gerrymandered to the tee. I don't get why he's running in a district 90 miles away from home. Urban south Florida is different from that stretch between Palm Beach and Daytona.

Also in a district that Obama won, where there are other open McCain CD's in Fla.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 10:54:36 PM »

Crist has considerable influance in Florida inspite of his defeat in the Senate race.

You do know the asinine shape of West's current district correct??  It took an EXTREME gerrymander to cook that one up.  Problem for the GOP was the voters passed a referendum in 2010 forcing the districts to be compact.  West could have drawn the district himself, and it would not have saved him.

This had nothing to do with what influence Crist did or did not have.  This had to do with the current law in Florida that no longer allows for the extreme of the extreme gerrymanders that happened last time around resulting in that district. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 07:58:31 AM »

Also in a district that Obama won, where there are other open McCain CD's in Fla.

You do know the asinine shape of West's current district correct??  It took an EXTREME gerrymander to cook that one up.  Problem for the GOP was the voters passed a referendum in 2010 forcing the districts to be compact.  West could have drawn the district himself, and it would not have saved him.

This had nothing to do with what influence Crist did or did not have.  This had to do with the current law in Florida that no longer allows for the extreme of the extreme gerrymanders that happened last time around resulting in that district. 

It's the only R-winnable district including a considerable portion of his old district that could be reasonably drawn, and Tom Rooney was given an offer he couldn't refuse (a safe R district that again includes a considerable portion of his old district) to bow out of this his home turf.
A better outcome for West was, literally, not legally conceivable, and I am fairly certain he did in fact have a hand in drawing it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 11:33:27 AM »

Forgive this threads bump, but after volunteering for Hasner in the last few weeks, I am convinced he can beat Frankel. He is far more charismatic then I remember and far less divisive as West. Frankel will have to take West's position as the "aggressive" candidate.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »

Forgive this threads bump, but after volunteering for Hasner in the last few weeks, I am convinced he can beat Frankel. He is far more charismatic then I remember and far less divisive as West. Frankel will have to take West's position as the "aggressive" candidate.

Yes, he definitely has a better shot than West did, but the new FL-22 (as the current proposals say) is a 57% Obama district. It will be hard for him to win.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 05:38:36 PM »

Yes, he definitely has a better shot than West did, but the new FL-22 (as the current proposals say) is a 57% Obama district. It will be hard for him to win.
It will be. But Frankel has a way of pissing anyone/everyone off. I live a few cities away from her in the middle of Palm Beach County, where nothing she does affects us, but people still seem to dislike her. Its still a "lean Democratic" race, but Hasner has a much better shot then West would. Im going to be working in his place all day tommorow, and they have maps posted of the district. I will have to take a better look at it, because I really have not paid a whole bunch of attention to it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies