Colorado Caucus Predictions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 05:13:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Colorado Caucus Predictions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Colorado Caucus Predictions  (Read 4641 times)
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 01, 2012, 01:51:10 AM »

Does anybody have polls for Colorado between the 4 candidates?  I haven't found anything online as of today. 

Also, post a map of CO of which counties the candidates will win.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 01:51:35 AM »

Does anybody have polls for Colorado between the 4 candidates?  I haven't found anything online as of today.

There haven't been any in forever.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 01:54:32 AM »

Before anyone mentions a commonly made stupid assumption, Colorado is only about 2% Mormon.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 01:55:39 AM »

I predict Romney will win. Beyond that, who knows?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:57:19 AM »

I predict a decent Romney win. Nothing big like Florida or NH though. Newt will come in a close-ish second with Paul in decent double digits. Santorum 4th.  
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 02:03:30 AM »

Grass roots intense organization matters most in Colorado, unlike the top down, advertising heavy FL organization. I say Paul has to get atleast second in Colorado based on that.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 02:06:43 AM »

This answers the question, it has Gingrich +19 as of 12/6

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_CONC_1206.pdf
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 02:08:26 AM »

Romney won 60% last time when he wasn't even the frontrunner.  It was his second best state, in fact.

I don't see why this wouldn't be pretty much a repeat.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 02:09:29 AM »

Romney won 60% last time when he wasn't even the frontrunner.  It was his second best state, in fact.

I don't trust the PPP poll at all, he'll get over 50% this time around.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 02:11:36 AM »

Yeah, CO is one of the caucus states Paul is least likely to beat Romney in.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 02:15:13 AM »

The reasons Romney did so well in the caucus states last time around are no longer really in existence this cycle, partially because 2012 Romney is very little like 2008 Romney. I suspect that Romney's vote in the caucus states (save Nevada perhaps) will crash significantly. Whether that's enough to beat him, I don't know. I'm starting to think Paul can win Maine, at the very least, and that Minnesota will go to either Paul or Santorum. Colorado...I don't know.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 02:19:02 AM »

Depends if his win last time was based more on his personal organization in the state or because he was the choice of conservative activists as the Anti-McCain at that time. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 02:34:41 AM »

In 2008 it was a Super Tuesday state. Go look at the Super Tuesday map. The state was completely unimportant to either McCain or Huckabee. McCain's strategy revolved around California and the Northeast states, Huckabee's was around the south. Romney was pretty much the only one competing in the caucuses that time. Not sure if that's the same this time. Granted it may also be that Paul, Santorum and Newt don't have the organization to beat him too.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 03:51:28 AM »

Is there any particular reason why Paul did so poorly here in 2008, relative to other caucus states?
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 04:02:52 AM »

If Paul keeps it within 10% in Nevada, he should do very well in Colorado, because the mormon % drops significantly.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 08:06:02 AM »

RAWN PAWL
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 12:56:52 PM »

Colorado is one of those states where you have liberal Democrats and very conservative Republicans with very little in between. It doesn't strike me as the type of place where Romney would do well this time around, though he could still win in a four-way split. Paul or possibly even Santorum could pull out an upset depending on who gets the support of the Evangelical establishment in Colorado Springs.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »

Colorado is one of those states where you have liberal Democrats and very conservative Republicans with very little in between. It doesn't strike me as the type of place where Romney would do well this time around, though he could still win in a four-way split. Paul or possibly even Santorum could pull out an upset depending on who gets the support of the Evangelical establishment in Colorado Springs.
I don't think people of Colorado have time to settle for an extreme candidate right now that matches their ideology when there's more important things to be concerned about.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 01:42:55 PM »

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/02/01/after_florida_win_romney_aims_for_february_trifecta_112984-2.html

From the above article, it sounds like Nevada is the only caucus state Romney is focusing on. It looks like he's not really playing in Colorado, Minnesota or Maine. Hopefully Paul can sweep all three.
Stan
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 01:57:40 PM »

In 2008 Colorado has voted for ROmney, and I think that this year He will rewin. Maybe Ron Paul can do a good results, in My opinion.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »

Santorum has purchased a major ad buy in Colorado.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 02:12:50 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2012, 02:24:12 PM by Torie »

Colorado is a very mixed bag state. It has Evangelicals in Colorado Springs, Romney types in the Denver burbs, who knows what in Ft. Collins, pretty hard right folks in Grand Junction (part of the fossil fuel belt now), probably with a fair number of Paul fans, kids in Boulder and the ski resorts (who probably won't be showing up for the caucuses), and rather down market Pueblo, plus some cattle areas. The local party is rife with internecine warfare. I would not myself be so foolish as to predict anything absent some good poll.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 02:30:06 PM »

I dunno. Predicting Colorado is really tricky.

I'd guess it'll be Romney, with Paul some distance behind, and then Santorum and Gingrich farther behind Paul compared to Paul behind Romney.

I'll make a stab at the numbers on the night before the results. I think Nevada, Maine, etc are going to effect it, though.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »

Colorado is a very mixed bag state. It has Evangelicals in Colorado Springs, Romney types in the Denver burbs, who knows what in Ft. Collins, pretty hard right folks in Grand Junction (part of the fossil fuel belt now), probably with a fair number of Paul fans, kids in Boulder and the ski resorts (who probably won't be showing up for the caucuses), and rather down market Pueblo, plus some cattle areas. The local party is rife with internecine warfare. I would not myself be so foolish as to predict anything absent some good poll.
Colorado politics is extreme, like the weather patterns here, LOL.  It's a really big turnoff having to deal with the Liberals in Boulder and the nutjobs in some parts of the Springs.  Time to unite!
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »

In 2008 it was a Super Tuesday state. Go look at the Super Tuesday map. The state was completely unimportant to either McCain or Huckabee. McCain's strategy revolved around California and the Northeast states, Huckabee's was around the south. Romney was pretty much the only one competing in the caucuses that time. Not sure if that's the same this time. Granted it may also be that Paul, Santorum and Newt don't have the organization to beat him too.

Also, McCain and Huckabee were both nearly out of money and had little organization. McCain was actually lucky that Romney dropped out when he did, otherwise Romney's money might have allowed him to halt McCain's advantage in momentum. This time around, Paul actually has a very good ground game and is making much better use of his fundraising, though he still has a limited support base. Gingrich and Santorum also still have support among Social Conservatives, and Romney does poorly in most states until he money-bombs them. There's no way to tell how any of the caucus states will turn out.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies