North Carolina 2012 Congressional Races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:30:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  North Carolina 2012 Congressional Races
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: North Carolina 2012 Congressional Races  (Read 35797 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2013, 02:07:40 PM »

so, can anyone with some good knowledge explain to me why Bev Perdue was so unpopular, even amongst many NC Democrats?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2013, 05:02:56 PM »

so, can anyone with some good knowledge explain to me why Bev Perdue was so unpopular, even amongst many NC Democrats?

In a nutshell, she was a good legislator but a bad executive. She struggled to put together her first budget, with a Democratic super majority in the Assembly. She made a bad first impression and never quite recovered.

The state's unemployment rate was hovering at about 10.5% for most of her term as well (its currently down to 9.1%).

She also had some bad PR episodes, like this.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2013, 06:03:52 PM »

In a nutshell, she was a good legislator but a bad executive. She struggled to put together her first budget, with a Democratic super majority in the Assembly. She made a bad first impression and never quite recovered.

The state's unemployment rate was hovering at about 10.5% for most of her term as well (its currently down to 9.1%).

Why didnt she turn around and relentless blame the GOP legislature after 2010?  That may have allowed her to get back in the game. 
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #203 on: January 07, 2013, 02:06:11 AM »

Why didnt she turn around and relentless blame the GOP legislature after 2010?  That may have allowed her to get back in the game. 

I think she could have done more of that. The Assembly's approval was (last time I checked) 16%.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2013, 02:10:29 AM »

It was represented by William Purcell, a conservative Democrat, since 1997. He retired this year and Gene McLaurin held it for the Democrats. The district only picked up a handful of precincts in Rowan County.

Here's a more comprehensive look at SD25:

Looks like McLaurin ran up the margins in the three Democratic counties to win.

Kissell lost that part of his district by 5 points. Kissell's total is probably artificially low because the idiot write-in Democrat took 10% in Richmond County, but Hudson still got a majority.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »

This article points out that, as a result of the 2012 local elections, Mecklenburg County will have the most clout its ever had.

Charlotte has long been something of an ugly stepsister to Raleigh in state politics. However, now, pols from Charlotte are dominating the scene at the state capitol. The Governor, LG, Speaker of the House and one of the most important Senators (my Senator Bob Rucho) are all from Mecklenburg County.

The Hunt/Easley/Perdue eastern dynasty is pretty much over.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2013, 02:35:50 PM »

That comes at a time when Wake County is about to exceed Mecklenburg in population.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2013, 03:55:42 PM »

Voter turnout in Wake is generally better as well. Despite having 20K less people at the last census, in the 2008 and 2012 elections, Wake cast about 35K more ballots than Mecklenburg each time.
JacobNC
psychicpanda
Rookie
United States

« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2013, 11:06:42 PM »

What may have helped Gene "McLaurin" to get huge margins in Richmond and Scotland counties is the fact that they are home to "Laurinburg."

He is the only NC legislator to represent a Romney district now, right?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #209 on: January 10, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »

What may have helped Gene "McLaurin" to get huge margins in Richmond and Scotland counties is the fact that they are home to "Laurinburg."

Yep.

SD1 was pretty close, which makes it that much more stinging for Democrats.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #210 on: January 10, 2013, 12:35:59 AM »

Who are the strongest members of the NC Democratic bench; people who we could run for the Senate in 2014 (if Hagan randomly retires) or 2016? I would think Cowell, Shuler, and Cooper, but am I missing anyone?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #211 on: January 10, 2013, 12:51:48 AM »

Who are the strongest members of the NC Democratic bench; people who we could run for the Senate in 2014 (if Hagan randomly retires) or 2016? I would think Cowell, Shuler, and Cooper, but am I missing anyone?
How electable would Miller be?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #212 on: January 10, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »

Yep.

SD1 was pretty close, which makes it that much more stinging for Democrats.

Any Democrats left in Romney districts in the state House?  How about Republicans in Obama districts?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #213 on: January 10, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »

How electable would Miller be?

He skews noticeably left of the state, but not to the point of being unelectable; he'd be like the Sherrod Brown of NC.

Miller also would get lots of $$$ help from Netroots/DailyKos.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2013, 03:16:30 PM »

Hmmm...the three newest members of the delegation are also the richest.

My Congressman, Pittenger, is the 19th wealthiest in the House. I'm sure he's a real out of touch patrician man of the people!
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2013, 03:42:22 AM »

This has more to do with Assembly politics, but I thought it would be appropriate to post this. I must have missed this story, as its a few weeks old, but retired State Senator Jean Preston passed away last month. Senator Preston was 77.

Senator Preston announced that she would retire for the 2012 cycle; her death came less than 2 weeks after she vacated office. She was elected to represent Carteret County in the House in 1992 and was promoted to the State Senate in 2006.

Though she became one of the top Republicans, she was still able to work across the aisle. Senator Preston was most known for her advocacy on education funding and women's issues, which at times made her something of a maverick within the Republican caucus.

'Wishing Senator Preston's family well.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies