North Carolina 2012 Congressional Races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:45:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  North Carolina 2012 Congressional Races
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: North Carolina 2012 Congressional Races  (Read 35795 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2012, 03:59:26 PM »

NC 7 definitely looks like a hold for the D's.  The R's will probably have a decent night but they won't get that seat.  When an internal poll released by a candidate has that said candidate down, then you know you are in trouble.

Thanks for mentioning that. I just found the poll you were referring to.

Public Opinion Strategies had Ilario Pantano up 7 in September of 2010 and McIntyre ended up winning by 8.

I agree with you in that I'd rank CD7 as a Lean Democratic hold, and this polling seems to confirm that. Romney is also leading by 17 in that sample, so McIntyre is still receiving a strong amount of crossover support.
MD
Rookie
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2012, 04:02:27 PM »

For the record, I am a Republican but I call it as I see it.  I see the R's netting something out of NC but not from this seat. 
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2012, 04:05:05 PM »

The R's are guaranteed to take CD13 and they should also take CD11, but I can see CD11 being closer than some would think.

I'd really like to see some polling from the 8th. Kissell was up 10 a few months ago, but there have been some developments in the race since then.
MD
Rookie
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »

Yea, seldom do these things work out like they look on paper in the beginning. 
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2012, 05:44:15 PM »

This is map is  from 2008, but I think it has some relevance this year:

Even though 2008 was a great Democratic year and Rouzer was running in an open seat, he barely won his State Senate district. He got won the seat with 52%; McCain got 63% while McCrory and Dole each got 57%.

The important thing here is that Rouzer only won Jonhston county by 141 votes. It was a good scenario for Democrats, but it still shows that McIntyre can make inroads there.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2012, 11:25:26 AM »

Well, some good news. Kissell has got the support of the Robeson County Black Caucus. This comes as black leadership groups elsewhere in the district have refused to back him.

This does make sense, when you consider that the Robeson Dems have been supporting McIntyre, who was always more conservative than Kissell,  for years
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2012, 09:23:30 AM »

I put together a list of county benchmarks for Kissell. He could do better or worse, but this is pretty good general picture of how he would need to perform to reach 50.1% overall:

So on map, his performance here would look like this (using my 5% scale):

Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2012, 03:01:15 PM »

I don't see him getting the 40% in Union.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2012, 03:19:39 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2012, 03:21:58 PM by MilesC56 »

Union will be though, I agree. He's already represented a pretty big swath of it for 4 years now though. Also, Obama got 39% in the Union part of the district and Hagan got 42%, so I think 40% would be a decent benchmark for Kissell.

I think that, other than the counties that he's safe in, Kissell needs to focus the most on Cabarrus.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »

In the 1970's and 1980's, Bill Hefner used to get elected in a district even worse for Democrats than the new NC-08. 
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2012, 09:51:49 PM »

So I've had a few encounters with Randy Crow on Facebook; he was running in the CD7 R primary, but was little more than an afterthought as the race featured a close match between Rouzer and Pantano.

In any case, after garnering about 6% in the primary, he apparently has nothing better to do than troll McIntyre's wall and recite talking points.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2012, 04:05:20 AM »

Union will be though, I agree. He's already represented a pretty big swath of it for 4 years now though. Also, Obama got 39% in the Union part of the district and Hagan got 42%, so I think 40% would be a decent benchmark for Kissell.

I think that, other than the counties that he's safe in, Kissell needs to focus the most on Cabarrus.

Indeed, his performance in Cabarrus will make or break him. 44.5% will be difficult- even in 2008 he didn't break 43%.

Kissell, if anything, seems to overperform in Union, however. In 2008, he outperformed Obama by over two points in the portion of the county he currently represents, and in 2010 he outperformed Obama by about a point and a half. Even with the addition of more Republican areas of the county, I see 40% in Union as being easier to achieve than 44.5% in Cabarrus.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2012, 06:28:23 PM »

Well, we've had a pretty mum few weeks for Congressional races in NC. Wait, wasn't there some big event in Charlotte last week!?

Larry Kissell has earned the title of the "Most Elusive Democrat in North Carolina," because he's keeping his association with Obama at arms' length, displayed most recently through his absence at the DNC. This seemed to be well-informed move on Kissell's part:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Its also encouraging to hear from locals like this guy:

And this guy:

Meanwhile, next door in CD7, McIntyre actually did attend the DNC. He addressed the NC delegates, but otherwise laid low throughout the course of the convention.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2012, 07:09:15 PM »

McIntyre is out with a new add which mostly emphasizes his socially conservative credentials.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2012, 07:17:08 PM »

Richard Hudson's RNC speech.

Its very bland and generic while he's weak on the delivery, if I do say so myself.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #115 on: September 15, 2012, 12:59:11 AM »

Roll Call was out with an article on Friday highlighting McIntyre' surprisingly strong resilience.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2012, 01:03:10 PM »

Well, the DCCC can go screw itself:

Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2012, 01:19:24 PM »

wow...
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »

That's quite silly.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »

Exactly.

I don't see why they'd spend money going after an entrenched incumbent like Bono Mack (who's pretty clearly favored) as opposed to investing in a tossup race like Kissell's.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2012, 02:47:31 PM »

Exactly.

I don't see why they'd spend money going after an entrenched incumbent like Bono Mack (who's pretty clearly favored) as opposed to investing in a tossup race like Kissell's.

A lot of entrenched Dem incumbents lost in 2010;
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2012, 02:50:25 PM »

Exactly.

Also the race between Mary Bono Mack and Raul Ruiz is actually pretty clearly a tossup at this point.  I'm not saying that they should necessarily triage Kissell (though on the other hand, who knows what the internal polling is showing), but we certainly have a better chance of picking up that seat than we do of keeping Kissell's seat.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2012, 04:44:01 PM »

Exactly.

Also the race between Mary Bono Mack and Raul Ruiz is actually pretty clearly a tossup at this point.  I'm not saying that they should necessarily triage Kissell (though on the other hand, who knows what the internal polling is showing), but we certainly have a better chance of picking up that seat than we do of keeping Kissell's seat.

Richard Hudson's own internal polling is showing him leading Kissell by only a few points.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2012, 04:56:27 PM »

On the State Senate side, here's an interactive map of the 50 Senate districts.

I don't think the Democrats have a chance at retaking the chamber this year, as the article speculates, but they may net a few seats at best.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2012, 05:12:28 PM »

Exactly.

Richard Hudson's own internal polling is showing him leading Kissell by only a few points.

I call them as I see them Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies