The Great Brazil Topic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:03:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Great Brazil Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Author Topic: The Great Brazil Topic  (Read 61934 times)
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »

More news: To not be expelled, Senator Demostenes Torres (GO) resigned DEM whip. Congressman and actor Stepan Nercessian (PPS-RJ) announced that he'd leave politics. Now, chief-of-staff to governor Marconi Perillo (PSDB-GO) resigned after her links with Carlinhos Cachoeira were exposed.
In São Paulo, Carlos Giannazi won PSOL's mayoral nomination nomination after a town hall series with other candidates, like Ivan Valente.
In Teresina, after Rejane Dias (PT), wife of senator Wellington Dias, dropped out, former Mayor Firmino Filho has a massive lead, with 52.1% of voters. Federal Deputy Marllos Sampaio (PMDB) has 17.1%, incumbent mayor Elmano Ferrer (PTB) has 13.9% and Atila Lira (PSB) has 7.2%.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 10:11:27 AM »

I want to see who wins in Tarumirim (small town in Minas Gerais). I think I have some relative running there Tongue.

My family is voting for Lacerda in BH. They usually vote DEM or PSDB, and don't like alliances with leftist parties. But this time they'll vote for Lacerda. However, their opinion may change before the election, they're just too conservative.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 05:05:28 PM »

Poll Porto Alegre/RS - IBOPE
Manuela D'Ávilla (PC do B) - 37%
José Fortunati (PDT-inc) - 28%
Paulo Borges (DEM) - 6%
Ibsen Pinheiro (PMDB) - 4%
Adão Vilaverde (PT)/Nelson Marchezan Jr. (PSDB) - 2%
Manuela is favourite to win.
Curitiba/PR
Gustavo Fruet (PDT) - 26%
Ratinho Jr. (PSC) - 24%
Luciano Ducci (PSB-inc) - 16%
Rafael Grecca (PMDB) - 7%
Dr. Rosinha (PT) - 4%
Renata Bueno (PPS) - 2%
I think that Ducci (he's PSB, but runs as right-winger) has good chances to win, although he is 3rd. Fruet should get PT endorsement.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 03:59:24 PM »

Why is Brazilan politics so variable? National parties (mainly PSDB and PT) polling so dismally in some elections while fairly minor parties are in the lead? I mean the PT and PSDB and PT are tied for last in Porto Alegre.

Hey, how's my man Beto Richa doing? And how is Andre Pucinelli- last I read about him he was facing some corruption charges.

Alagoas' justice refused to former Deputy Francisco Tenório (PMN) to resume his work of police sheriff. He was with an ankle monitor because links with homicides.
New poll in São Paulo:
José Serra (PSDB) 30% (+9%)
Celso Russomano (PRB) 19% (+2%)
Netinho de Paula (PC do B) 10% (-1%)
Paulo Pereira da Silva (PDT) 8%
Soninha Francine (PPS) 7% (-2%)
Gabriel Chalita (PMDB) 7% (+1%)
Fernando Haddad (PT) 3% (-1%)
Luiz Flavio D'Urso (PTB) 1% (-1%)
Levy Fidelix (PRTB) 1%
Soninha won't run and PPS will endorse Serra. Netinho too because he's unelectable due to domestic violence history.
Serra had a gaffe. He said that Brazil stayed as "United States of Brazil", name of country until 1967.

I thought the PPS was a leftist party. And how is the PT's candidate doing so poorly? Is there no party loyalty in Brazil?
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 06:05:11 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2012, 01:26:12 PM by RodPresident »

Our political formation and coalition things. Some parties are so similar (PT and PC do B) that elections between them are more because personal reasons than that. PT and PSDB candidates are also unknown by now. Manuela has appeal to PT voters.
Beto Richa is by polls a very popular governor, but his candidate in Curitiba, Luciano Ducci (PSB), is trailing at polls. PT decided to endorse Fruet to Curitiba mayoral job.
Puccinelli's son and his candidate for Campo Grande mayoral job are being accused of forging evidences of vote buying against a political rival. Puccinelli is a crazy man, that promised to rape former Enviroment Minister.
PPS was a left-wing party until 2004. Roberto Freire is now a PSDB's subbordinate.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 01:02:44 AM »

I see. So does that leave Soninha a leftist?

What about 2014-is Richa in consideration?
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »

Soninha is very loyal to Serra, but she says to be left-wing and pro-Marijuana and pro-choice.
PSDB candidate will be Aécio. Richa will have a hard time to be re-elected as PT candidate will be charismatic Chief of Staff Gleisi Hoffman who'll have federal government by her. And there are appearing evidences of Richa's links with Cachoeira's scheme.
CPI of Cachoeira will be chaired by Senator Vital do Rego (PMDB-PB) and related by Deputy Odair Cunha (PT-MG).
New Minister of Labour will be Brizola Neto (PDT-RJ). He's grandson to legendary leader Leonel Brizola and greatnephew to former president João Goulart.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 08:09:38 AM »

PSB-PR is pretty right-wing, since Arraes lend It to Lerner. Most of It's members came from former PFL. PPS became a completely different outfit since the early 90's, and is a social-liberal party, on the European sense, but heavily linked to the elites. I wouldn't put them on the left wing. They're also media whores, much like the PV, which makes them a PSDB puppet party. In addiction, Richa is no presidential material.
Soninha [Sonsinha] Francine is probably the best representation of Brazilian former progressive part of the upper-middle class. A liberal youngster, she was a MTV host concerned with citizenship and youth political participation, with a clear green politics approach, joined the PT, getting out during the mensalão scandal, mainly due media pressure. Subsequentially, She followed any media trend, becoming a harsh anti-Petista, repeating plenty of right-wing speech delivered by our harder-than-Fox anti-left MSM, but yet maintaining a green approach and defending sustaintable ways of life. I would characterize her as being blue-green, nowadays. Simpathetic, but silly. She also became a staple of despise/hate by the left, due her clueless rants and mainly for being in charge of Serra's poisonous internet campaign (which, in turn, triggered a hilarious grassroots anti-Serra campaign).
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »

In Brazil, we call media as Party of Coupist Press (Partido da Imprensa Golpista).
In Cachoeira's Inquiry Committee, there are some ilustrious and controversial members, like Senator Cassio Cunha Lima (PSDB-PB), expelled of governorship because vote buying, and Fernando Collor de Mello (PTB-AL), of history that all of us know.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 09:35:42 PM »

Cassio was impeached? When was this?
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 06:11:02 AM »

He lost mandate through Electoral Justice in 2009. 2nd placed candidate, José Maranhão (PMDB) served what remained of term, but was defeated in 2010 election.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2012, 05:57:20 PM »

He lost mandate through Electoral Justice in 2009. 2nd placed candidate, José Maranhão (PMDB) served what remained of term, but was defeated in 2010 election.

This was a weird election. The PT allied with the 'centrist' bunch of the oligarchy, while both the 'progressive' and 'conservative' oligarchic wings supported a young progressive reformer.

Do you have any clue of how's Coutinho's administration doing? Is He following Dudu Beleza's achievements? More to the right, more to the left?
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 07:08:04 PM »

Coutinho is being a very unpopular governor, with some difficulties at Legislative Assembly.
Now, Dilma has chosen members of Commission of Truth, about military dictatorship murders and violence.
A sad note: Neiva Moreira, former congressman from Maranhão, has died at 94. His birth city was Nova Iorque of Maranhão. He was founder of PDT (Brizolist party) and one of most notorious opponents of Sarney family. In 2010, he endorsed Serra. RIP!
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »

PT Recife primary: Mayor João da Costa (PT) and State Secretary Mauricio Rands (PT) are fighting through Justice because PT primary, yesterday. Costa won, but Rands claims a lot of irregularities. Rands was endorsed by former mayor João Paulo Lins e Silva, senator Humberto Costa and has undercover support of Governor Eduardo Campos (PSB), who is married with a cousin of him. Senator Armando Monteiro Neto (PTB) ruled out support for PT after controversies.
In national PT ads, former president Lula appears with Fernando Haddad, his handpicked candidate in São Paulo.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 08:53:02 PM »

Great day. Cabo Anselo's amnesty compensation was denied (It seems Nilmário Miranda finally accepted the black flag theory), the law that allows government to take properties where there was slave labour (or in conditions analogue to slavery)  passed with minimal opposition (which shows the real power of the 'ruralist' caucus) and once again the congress was turned into a circus, with the testimony of Carlinhos Cachoeira.
Now I have some trust on the Truth Commission and the day Cachoeira will show the links between Zé Dirceu and Perillo (with some other Toucans as a bonus).
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2012, 06:20:57 PM »

Dirceu is a victim of Cachoeira's scheme. Cachoeira in testimony said nothing. Only good thing was his wife.
In Rio Largo, Alagoas, all of town councillors and mayor are on jail due to selling of a land area for a value lower than needed.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »

In Brazil: a big controversy appeared between Gilmar Mendes, Cardoso-appointed justice of Supreme Court and former President Lula. Mendes said that Lula tried to blackmail him in Mensalão's trial with accusations of links with Carlos Cachoeira's scheme. Gilmar was very linked to senator Demostenes Torres (former DEM-GO) and they said that had conversations unlawfully tapped that never appeared. This made Lula to fire Intelligence's chief Paulo Lacerda, who as Chief of Federal Police was responsible for a lot of operations against corruption.
Torres testified to Senate yesterday. He performed somewhat well but I doubt he can be saved from being expelled.
Governors Marconi Perillo (PSDB-GO) and Agnelo Queiroz (PT-DF) will be called to testify in Joint Inquiry Committee about Cachoeira's scheme. Perillo, jokingly, tried to testify yesterday, but was refused. Committee refused to call Sergio Cabral (PMDB-RJ), personal friend of Fernando Cavendish, owner of Delta (building company) who was linked to Cachoeira's scheme.
In Recife election, Mauricio Rands dropped out and party expects that mayor João da Costa to do same thing. Favourite to become PT's nominee is Senator Humberto Costa (PT-PE). If Humberto Costa gets to be elected, he'll be replaced in Senate by former Governor Joaquim Francisco who was elected by PFL, but is now in Campos' PSB.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »

Oh, how this would be a better world if Mendes' extreme crookery finally get caught.
And LOL on Joaquim Francisco at PSB. 'Pai Arraia' must be whirling wild inside his coffin.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2012, 11:21:03 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2012, 03:20:41 PM by RodPresident »

Now, Perillo's problems are turning for worse. He sold a home where Cachoeira was living before prison. Home owner said that he paid in money, while he says that he received three checks.
In São Paulo, PSB is going to endorse Haddad, while PR will endorse Serra, corrected.
In Recife, Humberto Costa (PT) will be candidate for Mayor. National PT vetoed João da Costa.
In Salvador, former mayor Mario Kértesz (PMDB) will go back to politics after 20 years. He went from politics to become one of most-listened radio hosts in Bahia. He served two times as mayor, one as governor-appointed from 1979 to 1981 and elected from 1986 to 1988.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 12:54:54 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2012, 03:12:59 PM by batmacumba »

Now, Perillo's problems are turning for worse. He sold a home where Cachoeira was living before prison. Home owner said that he paid in money, while he says that he received three checks.

And Veja is proving again to be more hackish than Pravda and Granma multiplied by FOX. This week issue is trying their best to transform It in a problem of the government, while It seems to me that Grupo Abril has more than weak connections with the story.

In São Paulo, PSB is going to endorse Haddad, while PSDB will endorse Serra.
In Recife, Humberto Costa (PT) will be candidate for Mayor. National PT vetoed João da Costa.

Haddad's candidacy is the dumbest moving Lula's done in his carreer (or the smartest one, and I'm a moron). Pernambuco's PT seems to be even more divided than MG's.

In Salvador, former mayor Mario Kértesz (PMDB) will go back to politics after 20 years. He went from politics to become one of most-listened radio hosts in Bahia. He served two times as mayor, one as governor-appointed from 1979 to 1981 and elected from 1986 to 1988.

Wow! Eliseu, now Kértesz... Who'll be on Return of the Mummy III, Antônio Ermírio?
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2012, 12:48:44 AM »

Kértesz' newest personal enemy is state legislator Reverend Sargent Isidorio (PSB), a crazy former policeman who was expelled from state police in 2001 strike. Isidorio says that is a former gay and that had AIDS. Isidorio fought against prostate exam too.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2012, 02:00:44 AM »

Kértesz' newest personal enemy is state legislator Reverend Sargent Isidorio (PSB), a crazy former policeman who was expelled from state police in 2001 strike. Isidorio says that is a former gay and that had AIDS. Isidorio fought against prostate exam too.

Afraid to fall in love with the physician. Well, He is interesting from the political sociology POV, representing the perdurance of two trends in PSB: the 2001 policemen strikers and Garotinho's evangelicals. Here in MG these two political animals keeps on a neverending circulation throughout PSB, PMDB and some random just-for-election acronym. Sometimes they stop on PDT.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2012, 04:10:45 AM »

Isidorio ran for PT in 2002 and got in, attempted a seat in Brasilia in 2006 for PSC and failed and came back in 2010 for PSB. He's a lunatic. He would make a good candidate for M5S in Italy.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2012, 06:19:08 AM »
« Edited: June 08, 2012, 06:29:42 AM by His Great Device Makes Him Famous »

Well, duh! He's in the lead, right?

Isidorio ran for PT in 2002 and got in, attempted a seat in Brasilia in 2006 for PSC and failed and came back in 2010 for PSB. He's a lunatic. He would make a good candidate for M5S in Italy.

Well M5S is actually looking like a major party, so... but this party shifting is weird. Speaking of party shifters, can anyone tell me when Rita Camata switched from PMBD to PSDB and what positions she's held? Even the Portuguese wiki won't tell me, all I know is that she's been a Federal Deputy. Was she ever mayor of Vitoria?

And Veja is proving again to be more hackish than Pravda and Granma multiplied by FOX. This week issue is trying their best to transform It in a problem of the government, while It seems to me that Grupo Abril has more than weak connections with the story.

Veja? Hackish? Really? I say this without sarcasm; I thought they were quite impartial. Rightist, yes, but balanced, more akin to The Atlantic than anything. Speaking of Veja, is there an English version somewhere one could subscribe to?

I've always been surprised as to how right-wing the Brazilian press generally is, and how the people keep on electing PT candidates.

Wow! Eliseu, now Kértesz... Who'll be on Return of the Mummy III, Antônio Ermírio?

What is this I hear about Collor making a presidential run in 2014? Tongue
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2012, 03:25:42 PM »

Serra is in lead. I corrected. It's PR which will endorse Serra.
Camata served five terms in Congress from 1987 to 2003 and from 2007 to 2011. She went to PSDB because her friendship with Serra and after her husband, Gerson Camata (PMDB) was going to retire (or denied renomination) from the Senate. In FHC government, she had a very anti-government vote, but was nominated for VP.
Brazilian press is a sh**t, but PT voters are poor people who don't link to media and don't have money to buy Veja.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies