The Great Brazil Topic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:30:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Great Brazil Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23
Author Topic: The Great Brazil Topic  (Read 61920 times)
DanPrazeres
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: April 19, 2016, 09:29:59 AM »

Wow, I'm surprised she still has any allied parties. Except maybe the Communists.
It's Ciro Gomes.
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #351 on: April 19, 2016, 12:46:38 PM »

The impeachment request will be read on the Senate today. Then, party leaders will start appointing names to the special commission that will be formed there. However, since there's a national holiday on Thursday, the works of the commission should only start next Tuesday.
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #352 on: April 19, 2016, 03:47:27 PM »

According to Epoca, Brazil's Attorney General will present criminal charges against Lula in a few days. A criminal investigation against Dilma on accounts of obstruction of justice are also extremely likely.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #353 on: April 19, 2016, 06:45:15 PM »

Pro-Dilma coalition is basically PT. PC do B, PDT and some parts of PR (Valdemar da Costa Neto). And NE governors helped a lot in getting some anti-impeachment votes. Maranhao governor Flavio Dino (PC do B) worked a lot to get pro-Dilma votes, while Roseana Sarney that got all suport from Lula worked against Dilma because she's in very difficult situation.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #354 on: April 19, 2016, 09:41:05 PM »

Pro-Dilma coalition is basically PT. PC do B, PDT and some parts of PR (Valdemar da Costa Neto). And NE governors helped a lot in getting some anti-impeachment votes. Maranhao governor Flavio Dino (PC do B) worked a lot to get pro-Dilma votes, while Roseana Sarney that got all suport from Lula worked against Dilma because she's in very difficult situation.

Yikes. That is an extremely weak coalition.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #355 on: April 19, 2016, 10:45:04 PM »

My text about the weakening of the democratic institutions in Brazil

http://www.trincheiras.com.br/2016/03/o-retrocesso-a-uma-democracia-racionada/

In Portuguese
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #356 on: April 20, 2016, 06:52:44 AM »

1 - The impeachment commission will start its works on Monday, not on Tuesday. There's general consensus that the country cannot wait much longer for a solution to the political crisis.

2 - Dilma will travel to NYC tomorrow to sign the Paris Treaty. Thus, for the rest of the week, Temer will be the acting president :lol: Dilma avoided official travels for the last month for this reason. This time, she decided to go so that she can tell all the international media how she's the victim of a "coup".
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #357 on: April 20, 2016, 12:47:50 PM »

Two PMDB Ministers just resigned from office as the party coalesces around Temer. Meanwhile, Temer is still in São Paulo, with hundreds of meetings, trying to prepare what may soon be his Cabinet. Yesterday he met São Paulo's State Secretary of Public Security, Alexandre de Morais (PSDB/SP). It's speculated that Temer offered him the position of Solicitor General.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #358 on: April 20, 2016, 01:57:20 PM »

So what about the movement to declare the election of Dilma-Temer illegitimate and immediate reelections? Is that still going to happen?
DanPrazeres
Rookie

« Reply #359 on: April 20, 2016, 05:29:13 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2016, 05:35:05 PM by DanPrazeres »

So what about the movement to declare the election of Dilma-Temer illegitimate and immediate reelections? Is that still going to happen?
Today the Electoral Superior Tribunal authorized the Federal Police to get crime proofs of the campaign.

Well, it depends on Gilmar Mendes, actual president of the tribunal. So, without other pressures like protests or the media, it depends on what PSDB or Serra wants (because they are very best friends).
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #360 on: April 20, 2016, 11:43:35 PM »

Do you think Serra might try to run again? He and Geraldo are well past their expiration dates, even if they are both pretty good, but they clearly both want the job.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #361 on: April 24, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »

Brazilian economist Laura Carvalho explaining in her colum in New York Times why the Rousseff's impeachment was a coup d'stat

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2016/04/18/in-brazil-a-house-cleaning-or-a-coup/the-ousting-of-brazilian-president-dilma-rousseff-constitutes-a-coup

RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #362 on: April 24, 2016, 12:26:59 PM »

Do you think Serra might try to run again? He and Geraldo are well past their expiration dates, even if they are both pretty good, but they clearly both want the job.
PSDB-SP is in civil war between Alckmin and Serra factions. Then Serra is supporting Temer believing that he can jump to PMDB to get presidential nomination. Alckmin is in fear of having a powerful PMDB to oppose him in São Paulo politics.
But a surprise can happen as Henrique Meirelles (PSD) is now the favourite to be Minister of Treasury. He met Temer along Romero Jucá (eternal Government Leader in Senate and acting President of PMDB) and former minister Gilberto Kassab (PSD). He asked full control of economic policy to accept.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #363 on: April 24, 2016, 12:41:04 PM »

Is there any chance the wonderful Jair Bolsonaro makes it a second round?

I'm not actually sure that's even a desirable outcome (since I'd rather the top two contenders compete for his support).
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #364 on: April 24, 2016, 01:00:29 PM »

I'm not actually sure that's even a desirable outcome (since I'd rather the top two contenders compete for his support).
Brazil's party system imploded. Bolsonaro made an agreement with Pastor Everaldo, PSC's chairman that he'll be the candidate if he gets more than 10% in polls. He can get it, but I doubt that he gets in runoff, unless PSDB implodes in multiples candidates and left-wing gets competitive candidates. I think that his ceiling in 1st round is 20%.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #365 on: April 24, 2016, 01:47:39 PM »

You know what?
I hope that what happened to people opposing people praised by that person happens to you.
DanPrazeres
Rookie

« Reply #366 on: April 24, 2016, 02:00:44 PM »

After last sunday, nobody would look for his support in the clear way. Even if he gets 10% or 15%, it's very complicated to PSDB explain support a man that supports torturers of the dictadure that they fought against.

And if he wins, it will be time to take guns because democracy exploded (and i'm talking serious).
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #367 on: April 24, 2016, 02:11:58 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2016, 02:16:08 PM by Zioneer »

You're supportive of a literal apologist for tyrants and torturers? The guy who dedicated his impeachment vote to the guy who was in charge of torturing the current president?
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #368 on: April 24, 2016, 03:56:17 PM »

You're supportive of a literal apologist for tyrants and torturers? The guy who dedicated his impeachment vote to the guy who was in charge of torturing the current president?
Bolsonaro is so dumb that Ustra didn't torture Dilma.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #369 on: April 24, 2016, 06:51:50 PM »

He seems bizarrely clean for a Brazilian politician and he stands up against both criminals and other PC stufff. I don't really care that much about his views on history; I've personally heard a lot of mixed stuff about the military period.

Elected officials have too much civility anyways.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #370 on: April 25, 2016, 12:00:02 AM »

PSDB-SP is in civil war between Alckmin and Serra factions. Then Serra is supporting Temer believing that he can jump to PMDB to get presidential nomination. Alckmin is in fear of having a powerful PMDB to oppose him in São Paulo politics.
But a surprise can happen as Henrique Meirelles (PSD) is now the favourite to be Minister of Treasury. He met Temer along Romero Jucá (eternal Government Leader in Senate and acting President of PMDB) and former minister Gilberto Kassab (PSD). He asked full control of economic policy to accept.

So Aecio's out, then? What about Aecio, anyway? Is he clean?
DanPrazeres
Rookie

« Reply #371 on: April 25, 2016, 08:32:37 AM »

So Aecio's out, then? What about Aecio, anyway? Is he clean?
He is in the Lista of Furnas, so his name is mentioned some times in Lava Jato. And Aécio's faction of PSDB is against Alckmin and Serra
DanPrazeres
Rookie

« Reply #372 on: April 25, 2016, 08:43:33 AM »

He seems bizarrely clean for a Brazilian politician and he stands up against both criminals and other PC stufff. I don't really care that much about his views on history; I've personally heard a lot of mixed stuff about the military period.

Elected officials have too much civility anyways.
His brother was phantom employee of São Paulo's Assembly.

He was almost expelled from the army because he tried to put bombs in military towns.

He said that FHC deserved to be shot multiple times.

He dedicated his vote to the one known as the greatest torturer in the military dictatorship. We had a Truth National Commission, and Ulstra was one of the top guilties. I don't want to put pictures of his tortures, hope you understand.
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #373 on: April 25, 2016, 11:24:57 AM »

The Senate impeachment commission will start its works today. Raimundo Lira (PMDB/CE) will be elected its President and Antonio Anastasia (PSDB/MG) will be the rapporteur. The commission will be composed by 21 Senators, and at least 14 of them will be voting to impeach Dilma, ensuring that a pro-impeachment report to be voted by the floor of the Senate early next month.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #374 on: April 25, 2016, 11:34:54 AM »

Folha reports that Rousseff Said Mulling New Elections Even If Impeachment fails. 

Estimates of Brazil’s Senators Backing Impeachment by media outlet seems to be
Estado  48 yes  20 no 3 undecided 9 declined answer
Globo    48 yes  21 no 12 undecided or declined to answer
Folha    50 yes  20 no  2 undecided 7 declined to answer

Funny that even a simple poll of 81 people would lead to different results.  One way or another there seems to be the majority for impeachment process to start but not the 54 needed to impeach. 
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies