Northeast Gubernatorial Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:00:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Gubernatorial Debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Who do you support for governor (NE residents only)?
Jerseyrules

Napoleon

Rowan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Northeast Gubernatorial Debate  (Read 2830 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 08:42:24 PM »

Lincoln-Douglas is a two candidate debate format, which was my intention, as only two candidates are campaigning. If there is to be a three candidate debate, we'd have to convince The People's Paper to moderate.

I thought we could be mature and allow each other to speak until finished, as we are able to do in text and as possessing more common courtesy than the sum of 90% of the U.S. congress combined.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 08:44:57 PM »

I'd rather have a moderated debate to keep it on track. Three candidates in LD format is extremely hectic, if not impossible.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 08:47:03 PM »

I'd rather have a moderated debate to keep it on track. Three candidates in LD format is extremely hectic, if not impossible.

Alright, no coin toss that could accommodate three, so I'll say you can go first.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 08:48:12 PM »

Furthermore, with all due respect, let's just get this damned thing going.  At this point, I dont care who the moderator is.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 08:48:22 PM »

Huh?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 08:54:52 PM »

Mr. Senator, your opening statement?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 08:56:02 PM »

Is it just us two? I may be open to discussing the Rowan debate later, but he isn't here right now and we have no moderator.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2012, 08:56:23 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2012, 09:00:55 PM by Jerseyrules »

Is it just us two? I may be open to discussing the Rowan debate later, but he isn't here right now and we have no moderator.

Alright it's 1-on-1 LD till he comes back, your move, Senator Wink
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 09:09:30 PM »

This race is assured to be the most important regional election held since I joined Atlasia. There is a decision to be made that will have a long lasting impact on the region. I am running to bring about a Regional Renaissance, having authored and fought to pass a new, cleaner and more effective Constitution to get the balling. I have a history in this region and I'm tested. I offer experience, ideas, and unity.

I was a low key Representative at one point. That all changed when I saw the consequences of electing an untested, unknown Governor had. When Northeasterners put ideology ahead of experience and competence, I was sparked to step in and make a difference. Atlasian of all political stripes, including Homelycooking, 20RP12, and Cincinnatus, were brought together for the purpose of building a better region. While I respect my opponent's enthusiasm, I know that I am the only candidate able to rekindle this spirit.

I worked as a close advisor to friends and former Governors Winfield and Snowstalker. I know what it takes to run this region and I intend to lead by example.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2012, 09:13:44 PM »

I'll moderate.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2012, 09:26:04 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2012, 09:33:20 PM by Jerseyrules »

I am Jerseyrules, and I realize that I have my work cut out for me in this election.  I've worked hard as an assemblyman, and while I haven't been in government very long, I firmly believe we can work together.  Until we find fiscal responsibility in this great state, find for liberty, I will fight everyone and everything that stands in my path.  I will strive to restore Constitutional liberties and core liberties.  You can label me a failure until that day.  Well, we were great once. We must restore our shining city on a hill, not through partisanship and petty politics, but through conviction and dedication to principals.  We can and will be great again.

Now it will be a long and difficult journey, and the odds are against me.  But I will fight for liberty, and today I ask you to join me.  I have a great deal of respect for my opponent, and I enjoy debating him in this polite and civil manner.  I've never been an advisor, and I'm only a representative our assembly, but I know where I stand.  I will not shrink from the awesome responsibilities of this great office.  Join me, and together we will go forth in unity to conquer the beast of big government, shadow states, and unfair taxation.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 09:38:01 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2012, 09:41:57 PM by Senator Napoleon »

I've worked across party lines to create policies that benefit Northeastern families, workers, students, and citizens altogether. I brought federal funding for job creating and growth spurring high speed rail, also helping to conserve energy and the environment in the process. I created a federal plan to make education policy globally-sound, paving the way for our posterity's prosperity. I've fought on behalf for your civil liberties and will continues that. I will review every law we have on the books and keep the good policies, fix the flawed policies, and repeal the failed policies. I will continue being an advocate for a better future as Governor. I truly care about this region.

The Northeast needs a leader who is ready on day one. My opponent says he is against unfair taxation, yet his tax proposals saddle workers with even more income taxes than mine does. That is not fair at all.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 10:42:55 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2012, 10:56:11 PM by Jerseyrules »

Well, Senator, you and I both know that is just not true.  Only those making over $10 million per year would be taxed at 10%, and that was my compromise for the liberal-leaning assembly.  My proposal would keep income taxes at under 5% for 90% of Northeasterners.  Now, Senator, I am convinced that this is much better than taking 30% of income at the state level in addition to the federal taxes, wouldn't you?  I care a great deal about the Northeast, but I will not try to spin the record of my opponent, come up with fancy campaign slogans or one-liners, but to spread the message of liberty.  I firmly believe that my proposal is temporary, and a good compromise until we get to shrinking them further, because let's be honest: I tried to repeal state income taxes, and failed.  I want us to have no income taxes, but let's face it, that's not going to happen with this current assembly.  My plan includes capping property taxes at current level and lowering them by 1% each year for 5 years to spur the housing market.  I am all for low taxes, and smaller government, but it's not going to happen overnight.  I would like to force our branch of the Fed to back our currency with gold, and increase our stores of precious metals to set an example for the federal government.  I was a staunch advocate of the high-speed rail and continue to be.  I believe that public funding and private execution is the best way to go.  Now senator, if I may turn to a different subject, what is your position on abortion?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 10:50:07 PM »

I think 30% is too high and I think 10% is too high. I don't support saddling workers with the burden of excessive income taxation. This has been my platform the entire campaign. You have no right to accuse me of lying.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 10:55:19 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2012, 11:02:52 PM by Jerseyrules »

I think 30% is too high and I think 10% is too high. I don't support saddling workers with the burden of excessive income taxation. This has been my platform the entire campaign. You have no right to accuse me of lying.

Well, Senator, I agree with you completely, but as I said, you should tell that to my colleagues in the legislature, and if you win, I'd be glad to help enact your tax policy.  But the truth is I tried to eliminate state taxes outright, and my proposal was a counter-compromise to the Speaker's, and that those making under $10,000 per year would pay only 1% in taxes, and only millionaires would pay more than 9%
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 11:04:20 PM »

As a former Speaker, I have an excellent understanding of how the legislature works and how to get bills passed. We need revenue, eliminating taxation altogether is a silly and unrealistic proposal. I will take a more pragmatic approach, and I will rescue this region from financial collapse without stunting economic growth.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2012, 11:05:11 PM »

So...  Who is moderating this debate?..
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 11:06:05 PM »

No one, strangely enough.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 11:08:23 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2012, 11:10:50 PM by Jerseyrules »

As a former Speaker, I have an excellent understanding of how the legislature works and how to get bills passed. We need revenue, eliminating taxation altogether is a silly and unrealistic proposal. I will take a more pragmatic approach, and I will rescue this region from financial collapse without stunting economic growth.

So now you're to my left on fiscal policy?  When did that happen?!  Anyhow, I am firm in principals, and I know we can lower taxes drastically in several years.  As I have said, compromise is necessary, which is why I introduced my proposal.  Either way, whomever wins, I look forward to working closely with the Senator after the election, and I believe that lower taxes and relaxed regulations is the way to rescue our economy from the brink.  I know we have heard the experience argument before, but I'm sorry Senator; that dog just won't hunt this time.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 11:09:14 PM »

Lincoln Douglas.  See, Napoleon, I told you we could be civil in Lincoln-Douglas. Wink
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »

Lincoln Douglas.  See, Napoleon, I told you we could be civil in Lincoln-Douglas. Wink

I was always up for a one on one debate.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2012, 11:12:08 PM »

So...  Who is moderating this debate?..

Lincoln Douglas.  See, Napoleon, I told you we could be civil in Lincoln-Douglas. Wink

I was always up for a one on one debate.

Oh yes.  Well, I think one more wouldn't be too hectic.  Anyway, as I said, I we've all heard the experience argument before, and I admire experience, but I'm sorry senator, that dog just won't hunt this time. Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 07:29:01 AM »

You can say that all you want but it doesn't erase the fact that many of us remember the disaster following an election where ideology and party affiliation were the only factors contributing to the candidate's victory. My experience, competence and creativity are certainly more valuable to the future of this region than simple ideology. Voters who want to see this region flourish once again can take comfort in knowing that I will set a new standard for the Governor's office. If elected, I will be more prepared for this job than any Governor since, I suppose, AndrewCT (although I guess he is Governor now too). Throughout my terms as Senator I've remained in close touch with regional government. I've been involved consistently but I'm ready to do more.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2012, 03:59:56 PM »

If we want to really talk about experience, let's talk about experience. I am the only person in this race to have served as Governor, Lt. Governor, Assemblyman, CJO, At-Large Senator, and Regional Senator. I was also nominated across party lines for the position of Game Moderator. No one is more prepared for this office than I.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »

You were also forced to remove your name from consideration due to an abysmal track record.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies