Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 09:13:32 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  Why is America so religious in the first place?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Why is America so religious in the first place?  (Read 2305 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 10:52:35 pm »
Ignore

Jmf: First Great Awakening = mass religious revivalism in the American colonies in the mid-18th century, preachers like Jonathan Edwards (Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God).  It's usually hailed as the first cultural event that is really a product of the American Colonies.

Much less interesting to me than the Second Great Awakening (1820s-1840s), which gave us Millerism->Adventism, Mormonism, mass spread of Methodism, Baptism...much more colorful.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Deadly Poisonous Zanzibar Hamster
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 03:17:10 am »
Ignore

Jmf: First Great Awakening = mass religious revivalism in the American colonies in the mid-18th century, preachers like Jonathan Edwards (Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God).  It's usually hailed as the first cultural event that is really a product of the American Colonies.

Much less interesting to me than the Second Great Awakening (1820s-1840s), which gave us Millerism->Adventism, Mormonism, mass spread of Methodism, Baptism...much more colorful.

As for the Thrid and Fourths?

Convincing BRTD to drop the Sneakers O'Toole BS is like convincing Sneakers O'Toole to take his sneakers off.

(I realize I'm probably just further encouraging him by saying that, and for this I apologize.)
Deadly Poisonous Zanzibar Hamster
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 04:10:53 pm »
Ignore

Sorry for the double post but this was never resolved:

Now, why isn't Canada as religious as we (the USA) are?

Convincing BRTD to drop the Sneakers O'Toole BS is like convincing Sneakers O'Toole to take his sneakers off.

(I realize I'm probably just further encouraging him by saying that, and for this I apologize.)
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 01:51:50 pm »
Ignore

Sorry for the double post but this was never resolved:

Now, why isn't Canada as religious as we (the USA) are?

I suspect one reason is the entanglement of the Anglican Church in the politics of Canada in the late 18th and early 19th century gave anticlericalism a greater impetus north of the border than it ever attained here in the States.

I wonder why Van Heusen never bothered to make women's clothing?
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 02:10:22 pm »
Ignore

Accursed I guess.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout