Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 04:14:31 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  Why is America so religious in the first place?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Why is America so religious in the first place?  (Read 2179 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 10:52:35 pm »
Ignore

Jmf: First Great Awakening = mass religious revivalism in the American colonies in the mid-18th century, preachers like Jonathan Edwards (Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God).  It's usually hailed as the first cultural event that is really a product of the American Colonies.

Much less interesting to me than the Second Great Awakening (1820s-1840s), which gave us Millerism->Adventism, Mormonism, mass spread of Methodism, Baptism...much more colorful.

It is very advisable to examine and dissect the men of science for once, since they for their part are quite accustomed to laying bold hands on everything in the world, even the most venerable things, and taking them to pieces.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
False Leftist
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 03:17:10 am »
Ignore

Jmf: First Great Awakening = mass religious revivalism in the American colonies in the mid-18th century, preachers like Jonathan Edwards (Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God).  It's usually hailed as the first cultural event that is really a product of the American Colonies.

Much less interesting to me than the Second Great Awakening (1820s-1840s), which gave us Millerism->Adventism, Mormonism, mass spread of Methodism, Baptism...much more colorful.

As for the Thrid and Fourths?

Thanks guys!

As I said once I'd moderate not per the Terms of Service but the the Word of Jesus Christ.  For there is neither troll nor quality poster, neither banned nor unbanned, nor is there red avatar or blue avatar for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
False Leftist
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 04:10:53 pm »
Ignore

Sorry for the double post but this was never resolved:

Now, why isn't Canada as religious as we (the USA) are?

Thanks guys!

As I said once I'd moderate not per the Terms of Service but the the Word of Jesus Christ.  For there is neither troll nor quality poster, neither banned nor unbanned, nor is there red avatar or blue avatar for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 01:51:50 pm »
Ignore

Sorry for the double post but this was never resolved:

Now, why isn't Canada as religious as we (the USA) are?

I suspect one reason is the entanglement of the Anglican Church in the politics of Canada in the late 18th and early 19th century gave anticlericalism a greater impetus north of the border than it ever attained here in the States.

Daily Reflections on the Revised Common Lectionary

Bible thumping kept to a minimum unless you go to sleep!
The below comic stars me!
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 02:10:22 pm »
Ignore

Accursed I guess.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length