US with Australian parties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:05:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  US with Australian parties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US with Australian parties  (Read 17751 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: February 07, 2012, 02:38:16 AM »

Essentially the same as it is in real life; the ALP is as close to the Democratic Party as any party in the world.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 02:00:34 AM »

I'd probably lean toward Liberal, although I agree with the National Party's platform as well.

Does any Australian on the boards think the two parties will merge?

Party registration is by state, so, for example, there is the Liberal Party of Australia (New South Wales) Division, the Liberal Party of Australia (Victoria) Division, etc. Each one is technically a separate party, although all are affiliated and pay an annual subscription to the federal division (at least, that's my understanding of how it works). The merger would need to be put to a vote of members in each state division. This has already happened in Queensland, where the parties merged a few years back. I don't think any other states are currently considering this. I believe the LNP is affiliated federally with the Liberals, rather than the Nationals but I could be wrong. MPs and Senators choose (or are allotted?) a party to caucus in federally (although obviously all sit in the joint Coalition Party Room, it's just for the split party room meetings where it matters).

It's worth noting that the state parties run candidates in both federal and state elections; this is different than Canada, where provincial parties are separate from federal parties (although they may be affiliated). This confused me for a while.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies