US with Australian parties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:04:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  US with Australian parties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US with Australian parties  (Read 17696 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: February 07, 2012, 06:36:42 PM »

I'd probably lean toward Liberal, although I agree with the National Party's platform as well.

Does any Australian on the boards think the two parties will merge?

Party registration is by state, so, for example, there is the Liberal Party of Australia (New South Wales) Division, the Liberal Party of Australia (Victoria) Division, etc. Each one is technically a separate party, although all are affiliated and pay an annual subscription to the federal division (at least, that's my understanding of how it works). The merger would need to be put to a vote of members in each state division. This has already happened in Queensland, where the parties merged a few years back. I don't think any other states are currently considering this. I believe the LNP is affiliated federally with the Liberals, rather than the Nationals but I could be wrong. MPs and Senators choose (or are allotted?) a party to caucus in federally (although obviously all sit in the joint Coalition Party Room, it's just for the split party room meetings where it matters).
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »

One addendum - Labor would do even worse in coal country than the Dems, given their obsession with carbon taxes.

Ah, so you've not discovered how the Hunter Valley votes yet.

Perhaps all the mining areas got moved into Flynn, but Capricornia also had (has?) a fair swag of coal mines, too. A few in Dawson, although plenty of farming there to balance it a bit. Still a gain by Labor in 2007 on a big swing. Disregard Mt Isa, since Kennedy is independent-held, and includes plenty of cattle grazing.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:39:21 AM »

I'd probably lean toward Liberal, although I agree with the National Party's platform as well.

Does any Australian on the boards think the two parties will merge?

Party registration is by state, so, for example, there is the Liberal Party of Australia (New South Wales) Division, the Liberal Party of Australia (Victoria) Division, etc. Each one is technically a separate party, although all are affiliated and pay an annual subscription to the federal division (at least, that's my understanding of how it works). The merger would need to be put to a vote of members in each state division. This has already happened in Queensland, where the parties merged a few years back. I don't think any other states are currently considering this. I believe the LNP is affiliated federally with the Liberals, rather than the Nationals but I could be wrong. MPs and Senators choose (or are allotted?) a party to caucus in federally (although obviously all sit in the joint Coalition Party Room, it's just for the split party room meetings where it matters).

It's worth noting that the state parties run candidates in both federal and state elections; this is different than Canada, where provincial parties are separate from federal parties (although they may be affiliated). This confused me for a while.

Quite right. I should have specified that. You are entirely correct - I hadn't considered the Canadian comparison. Should have, but didn't. You are spot on, though.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 03:49:42 AM »

I don't know much about Connecticut but it sounds like you're drawing a parallel with Mayo, Ryan or Higgins, perhaps even Kooyong.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 06:35:29 PM »

I don't know much about Connecticut but it sounds like you're drawing a parallel with Mayo, Ryan or Higgins, perhaps even Kooyong.

More thinking Bennelong, or Wenworth/North Sydney.

Yeah, those too.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 06:42:08 AM »

Some good stuff here, please keep it going, although I think New Hampshire would have voted ALP once, maybe twice between 1972-2010, I'm thinking 1983.

Yes, and those rural communities could potentially have provided a baton of support for the Nationals, although begun to move towards the Liberals - similar to Hume or Farrer in NSW. Of course, we need to see what happens in Hume if there's a three-cornered contest next year with Album Schultz's retirement.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »

May even have elected the DLP in the years before your dates start...
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 04:34:04 AM »

I think you're on the right track.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 04:33:50 AM »

PUP would not perform well anywhere in a non-compulsory voting system. It appeals most to the voters who only show up to vote in order to not be fined. Next most appeal in electorates with mining (remember, that's where he made his fortune, and they appreciated his anti-Greens stance during the 2013 federal election).
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 04:14:11 AM »

PUP would not perform well anywhere in a non-compulsory voting system. It appeals most to the voters who only show up to vote in order to not be fined. Next most appeal in electorates with mining (remember, that's where he made his fortune, and they appreciated his anti-Greens stance during the 2013 federal election).
Valid point which I don't disagree with. But I'm sorta trying to assume how the parties would behave if they kept the same vote share they do here. No doubt that the minor parties would get a lower vote if we actually had an American system.

Yeah, Trump kind of destroyed my argument there...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies