Ohio challenge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:35:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Ohio challenge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Ohio challenge  (Read 45336 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2005, 07:03:28 AM »

Interesting story about a congressional challenge to Bush's 're-election':

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050106/ap_on_el_pr/electoral_college_ohio&cid=694&ncid=2043

Engineer
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 08:36:10 AM »

The report also contends there were widespread instances of intimidation and misinformation, improper purging of voter registration lists, a lack of inspection for about 93,000 ballots where no vote was cast for president, and vote totals not matching registration numbers or exit poll data.

Just a snippet from the article.

1.  Widespread intimidation and misinformation - I do believe that challenging somebody does not fall under the scope of intimidation.  If you are legally registered, a question of your legality is not intimidation.  Only people who are not legally registered can feel intimidated.  There are instances of Democrat misinforming voters, will these be explored?

2.  a lack of inspection for about 93,000 ballots where no vote was cast for president - What is to inspect?  If their isn't a vote, you can't divine what the voter means.  Oh wait, if you're a Democrat you can.  Some people just don't cast a vote for the President.  To assume everybody does is wrong.

3.  vote totals not matching registration numbers - horribly wrong here, but okay in Washington.

4.  and vote totals not matching ... exit poll data - as if polls are completely accurate and actually vote counts are not.  Just look at Zogby's wonderful polls.  When Venezuela had elections, and the exit polls differed from the actually vote count, Jimmy Carter and follow Democrats discounted the exit polls as being wrong.  I guess that rationale doesn't apply here.

Everything they have to present has been debunked.  They just can't stand the fact that they lost.
handler
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 09:10:50 AM »

I was for Kerry.  That said, this "challenge" is not good politics for our side.  In fact, it's just plain dumb.
Will F.D. People
bgrieser
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 10:27:31 AM »

This is really, really, really bad precedent if the Democrats do this. We do not want to even hint that Congress can un-do a Presidential election because they don't like the results. There could be a full-blown Constitutional crisis in the future when it transpires that the Congress is not controlled by the same party as the evident Presidential victor, and the party with the Congressional majority seeks to overturn the election.

Let me ask this: we hear how much is demanded of Bush to "reach out" and include Democrats in his decision making. How in the heck can a baseless challenge to his election do anything but spoil a spirit of co-operation?
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 10:42:43 AM »

This makes the Democrats look much worse.  You need to learn how to lose gracefully.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 01:07:00 PM »

I was for Kerry.  That said, this "challenge" is not good politics for our side.  In fact, it's just plain dumb.

I agree.  This makes every election from this point forward fair game for a "challenge". 

On the other hand election reform is needed, period.
handler
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 01:15:09 PM »

I do agree that we need voting reforms.  The system badly needs to be cleaned up.

But, dear god, this is NOT the way to make the point.   Why are these people intent on leaping off a cliff?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 01:26:33 PM »

I do agree that we need voting reforms.  The system badly needs to be cleaned up.

But, dear god, this is NOT the way to make the point.   Why are these people intent on leaping off a cliff?

Maybe in there eyes this is the only way to clean things up.  Democrat or Republican if you have half a brain you would agree a paper trail is needed on these voting machines.  Still, contesting the election and pissing 60+million people off is probably not the best way to go.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 01:33:46 PM »

If Ohio were much closer, say within 10,000 and no recount had been held, I might understand it, altho I would still think it foolish unless there were a blatant flouting of the election laws of Ohio that had occurred.  On the other hand, the two hours that Congress wastes on this is two less hours they can spend on other mischief.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 03:23:27 PM »

This is really, really, really bad precedent if the Democrats do this. We do not want to even hint that Congress can un-do a Presidential election because they don't like the results. There could be a full-blown Constitutional crisis in the future when it transpires that the Congress is not controlled by the same party as the evident Presidential victor, and the party with the Congressional majority seeks to overturn the election.

Let me ask this: we hear how much is demanded of Bush to "reach out" and include Democrats in his decision making. How in the heck can a baseless challenge to his election do anything but spoil a spirit of co-operation?

Bush reached out? What crack are you smoking?
handler
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 03:30:57 PM »

Ohio was "stolen"??
Will F.D. People
bgrieser
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 03:54:20 PM »

Do YOU really want to play the "you" card and make this personal??

My point is that why in the world should Bush reach out to these idiots after they pull a cynical, partisan, bitter stunt like this? And the fact that Democratic leadership went along with it shows that the Democrat leadership is willing to risk the very foundation of our democracy to score some short term political points.

Our democracy took a serious blow today and I am not happy about it.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 04:00:08 PM »

So they actually did this? Ha! How long until it's over?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 04:16:22 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Our democracy died December 12th, 2000.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 04:17:13 PM »

Can anyone name ONE THING that Bush has done to "reach out"?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2005, 04:19:07 PM »

The Department of Homeland Security and the perscription drugs bill.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 04:21:09 PM »

The Department of Homeland Security and the perscription drugs bill.

The Democrats came up with a Dept. of Homeland Security plan right after 9/11.

Bush's Dept. of Homeland Security bill had anti-labor provisions, and his Dept. of Homeland Security is run by partisan Republicans.

Bush's medicare plan was a handout out to drug companies (no controls over drug prices).

Both of those make me angry. Try again.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 04:22:24 PM »

I'm just asking for ONE THING, and I haven't heard it, because Bush is the most partisan, polarizing resident in US history.

Republicans whining about his stolen election being contested - priceless.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2005, 04:25:24 PM »

Like I said - the Department of Homeland Security was reaching out to Democrats.

Price controls are unconstitutional and would likely have been struck down by the Supreme Court anyway.

In case you haven't noticed, you're the only one here who thinks it was stolen.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2005, 04:27:21 PM »

Like I said - the Department of Homeland Security was reaching out to Democrats.

Price controls are unconstitutional and would likely have been struck down by the Supreme Court anyway.

In case you haven't noticed, you're the only one here who thinks it was stolen.
No one here with a D avatar thinks it's fair.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2005, 04:27:32 PM »

Once again jFRAUD has shown in many limitations.  Even if all 93,000 votes were found to have been for Kerry, Bush still would have carried Ohio.  We now have demostrated that not only jFRAUD's reading skills are lacking, but so are his mathematical ones.

As for "reaching out" the "No Child Left Behind" Act was both a centerpiece of the Bush domestic policy and had bipartisan support.  I read some place that one of it's supporters was Ted Kennedy, and I kinda think that possibly he might be a Democrat.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2005, 04:29:51 PM »

Once again jFRAUD has shown in many limitations.  Even if all 93,000 votes were found to have been for Kerry, Bush still would have carried Ohio.  We now have demostrated that not only jFRAUD's reading skills are lacking, but so are his mathematical ones.

As for "reaching out" the "No Child Left Behind" Act was both a centerpiece of the Bush domestic policy and had bipartisan support.  I read some place that one of it's supporters was Ted Kennedy, and I kinda think that possibly he might be a Democrat.

Yeah, I have no mathematical skills, right.  Hahahahaha.
Ted Kennedy later said that supporting that was a mistake.
Teaching students just how to pass some dumb multiple choice test is not the best way to learn.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2005, 04:30:26 PM »

Here is an interesting quote from the article cited in the first part of the thread.  Some people looking at it "found no evidence that would change the outcome of the election."   Those people were Kerrry and his attornies.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2005, 04:31:28 PM »

Here is an interesting quote from the article cited in the first part of the thread.  Some people looking at it "found no evidence that would change the outcome of the election."   Those people were Kerrry and his attornies.

If there's ever a murder, you'll say that there's no evidence that there's anything that would bring the person back to life.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2005, 04:41:32 PM »

Yeah, I have no mathematical skills, right.  Hahahahaha.

I'm glad you realize you are mathematically challenged.  If it will help I will be happy to explain to you how subtration works

Are you suggesting that democrates are flipfloppers?  Oh my!

It is fairly to tell that you went to a school system where there was no testing at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies