Canadian by-elections, 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:37:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 35
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2012  (Read 86752 times)
adma
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: August 14, 2012, 06:55:49 PM »

it might not be the candidate so much as the campaign

Or both, in coordinated tandem.  Fife gave the ONDP incentive to pursue this as a serious, *winnable* target, despite naysayers pointing to the 2011 fed-prov results as proof that K-W is RIM-yuppying terminally away from such targetability.  Otherwise, a solid 20% might have been possible on Andrea Horwath's simple coattails--but 30% is the result of the Fife juggernaut, with added boost from this being a resource-concentrating byelection rather than the lost-in-the-ozone circumstance of a general election...

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #426 on: August 14, 2012, 09:26:58 PM »

Fife is a good candidate, and worthy of a good campaign for sure. But she's not winning it on name recognition alone. I doubt most voters would have heard of her before the by-election. Can you even name your public school trustee? I can't, and I voted for her!
adma
« Reply #427 on: August 15, 2012, 09:24:45 PM »

Fife is a good candidate, and worthy of a good campaign for sure. But she's not winning it on name recognition alone. I doubt most voters would have heard of her before the by-election. Can you even name your public school trustee? I can't, and I voted for her!

I addressed the name-recognition-alone point in my "in coordinated tandem" statement  And besides, we're not just talking about your regular school trustee, we're talking about a "trustee and chair of the Waterloo Region District School Board and president of the Ontario Public School Boards' Association".  We're talking about a big shot here--and one who would be familiar to K-W voters from her previous provincial run in 2007, at which time she was already something of a star-candidate-albeit-shame-about-the-party case.

And don't be too hard on school trustees, even if you can't name your own--very often, it *is* a launching pad to political power.  (Toronto has a fair number who went straight from trustee to provincial elected office: Kathleen Wynne, Donna Cansfield, the newly-elected Michael Coteau and Soo Wong, even Rosario Marchese in the NDP camp.  And while the party of choice often helped, trusteeship *did* hold its inherent star-candidate coattails...and in the case of Wynne and Cansfield, especially in the throw-out-the-anti-education-Common-Sense-Tory-bums atmosphere of 2003...)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #428 on: August 15, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »

And don't be too hard on school trustees, even if you can't name your own--very often, it *is* a launching pad to political power. 

They're probably also more familiar to the parents of children in the electorate, as opposed to people more our age.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #429 on: August 16, 2012, 01:17:02 AM »

And don't be too hard on school trustees, even if you can't name your own--very often, it *is* a launching pad to political power.  

They're probably also more familiar to the parents of children in the electorate, as opposed to people more our age.

I went to school with the son of my trustee. Which aren't really elected, since there is never more than one candidate in my area.
Not surprising when a city of 30,000 has 13 trustees.

Last elections were in 2007. 2011 ones were cancelled to merge them with municipal elections, but cities refused, so, they are on indefinite terms.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #430 on: August 16, 2012, 09:27:32 AM »

Quebec has separate elections for school board which is a joke. What's the turnout, like 10%?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #431 on: August 16, 2012, 09:34:35 AM »

Quebec has separate elections for school board which is a joke. What's the turnout, like 10%?

Or thereabouts. Tongue
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #432 on: August 16, 2012, 09:56:51 AM »

why would cities refuse? Yesh, municipal elections have brutally low turnout anyway i couldn't imagine an election JUST for school trustees

Just like i don't get why in Vancouver you have seperate Parks board commissioners... wouldn't that just fall under city council direction? meh
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #433 on: August 16, 2012, 10:10:51 AM »

You should see the insane array of separately elected local positions they have here in the great US of A.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #434 on: August 16, 2012, 01:06:21 PM »

why would cities refuse? Yesh, municipal elections have brutally low turnout anyway i couldn't imagine an election JUST for school trustees

Just like i don't get why in Vancouver you have seperate Parks board commissioners... wouldn't that just fall under city council direction? meh

A few municipalities in the area (eg Nepean) used to elect hydro commissoners before amalgamation.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #435 on: August 16, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »

The electoral districts aren't the same, so it would complicate the jobs of the cities.
adma
« Reply #436 on: August 16, 2012, 07:05:11 PM »

And there have been trustee byelections in Toronto in the past year, to replace Coteau + Wong after they were elected to Queen's Park...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #437 on: August 16, 2012, 10:13:50 PM »

And there have been trustee byelections in Toronto in the past year, to replace Coteau + Wong after they were elected to Queen's Park...

I bet those would be fun o_0

Never had any trustee by-elections in recent memory in Ottawa. It's possible that such things don't exist.
adma
« Reply #438 on: August 17, 2012, 09:20:23 PM »

It may depend upon what council or school boards decide--sometimes a byelection, sometimes a "temporary" appointment.

In any case...

http://www.toronto.ca/elections/by-election-2012/tdsb-17-20/

Ward 17: 5151 votes; winner w/974 votes.

Ward 20: 6422 votes; winner w/1849 votes.

NB: in the riding of Don Valley East, where former Ward 17 trustee Michael Coteau ran and won for the Liberals, 974 votes would have been good enough for 3% of the provincial vote.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #439 on: August 18, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »

Wow. That's a lot of candidates for an election nobody cares about.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #440 on: August 18, 2012, 02:53:59 PM »

Wow. That's a lot of candidates for an election nobody cares about.

They attract more candidates for a reason. The only election ever for my school board which was contested was a by-election, in 2009.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #441 on: August 21, 2012, 08:04:08 AM »

Eek, in Fort Whyte; this is a little unsettling no?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/mrjetztvs-candidacy-casts-doubt-on-rules-166859386.html

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #442 on: August 21, 2012, 04:28:18 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2012, 04:29:49 PM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

As Denis Coderre said he will announce on November 9 his choice (he will either run for Liberal leadership or Montreal mayorship), La Presse is reporting than NDP is already searching a star candidate to run in Bourassa in the resulting by-election. NDP seems to be sure than he will choose the mayorship. La Presse is also saying than, being a Montreal riding, there would be pressure on the Bloc leader (former MP for Hochelaga) to run there.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #443 on: August 21, 2012, 04:33:11 PM »

Coderre didn't say anything about resigning his seat prematurely. Given that Tremblay is a Pelquiste this could mean he's not seeking a fourth term. The alternative is getting steamrolled in a leadership race.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #444 on: August 23, 2012, 02:10:24 PM »

Denise Savoie is resigning, so Victoria will shortly be vacant.

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2012/08/23/ndp-mp-denise-savoie-to-resign-her-seat/
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #445 on: August 23, 2012, 04:24:58 PM »

I hope she gets better soon. She will be missed.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #446 on: August 23, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »

safe NDP hold
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #447 on: August 23, 2012, 05:42:15 PM »

its sad/unfortunate when any MP/MPP has to step aside due to a health issue, but i' relieved thats the reason and not for any political reason.
So... i know its far too early but any thoughts on who might run for the seat for the NDP? or any other party. The city is full of current/former municipal dippers; who knows Carole James might want to try something new (not sure if there is still any bad blood there, but she probably will be in line for a cabinet post so maybe not)
And yup, safe NDP seat now-a-days. 88-93 was held by John Brewin then Liberal David Anderson, then since 2006 its been Savoie.
DL
Canada

« Reply #448 on: August 23, 2012, 10:15:16 PM »

I suspect that Savoie signaled to the party a while ago that she was going to step down and they timed it so that a byelection in a solid NDP seat (ie: Victoria) would have to be on the same day as the other byelections that are all in really bad seats for the NDP like Calgary Centre, Durham and Etobicoke Centre.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #449 on: August 23, 2012, 11:42:46 PM »

I suspect that Savoie signaled to the party a while ago that she was going to step down and they timed it so that a byelection in a solid NDP seat (ie: Victoria) would have to be on the same day as the other byelections that are all in really bad seats for the NDP like Calgary Centre, Durham and Etobicoke Centre.

Well, a strong second would be very good in Durham and Calgary Centre. They don't need to win.
And I'm sure than NDP hopes there is no election in Etobicoke.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies