Iowa High School social studies worksheet sparks outrage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:21:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Iowa High School social studies worksheet sparks outrage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Iowa High School social studies worksheet sparks outrage  (Read 1686 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 04:00:20 AM »

Dear God; some of my best friends go to Roosevelt.  This is amazing.

I didn't know you had a Des Moines connection. Some of my elementary school classmates went to Roosevelt, though I moved out of DM in the sixth grade.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 04:18:27 AM »

This is a disgrace, and every teacher in that school, the principal, superintendent, and the entire school board should all be fired and thrown in jail for treason.

Have we really become the kind of country that thinks it's ok to show the perspective from both sides of an argument?

What's next?  Are we going to start telling students we were the first country to get a spacecraft to the moon?

Cheesy
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 04:46:35 AM »

Have we really become the kind of country that thinks it's ok to show the perspective from both sides of an argument?

Is that what this is though?

I don't think any promoter of capitalism would say that cartoon represents their ideal.

The cartoon doesn't have to represent what a capitalist is saying... it's from a Communist perspective.  But the reading that follows the cartoon is pretty much purely ideals.
It's not introduced as a pro-Communist cartoon.  There is no pro-capitalist cartoon either.

In the press release issued by the school, it was stated that the cartoon was used as an example of a Communist perspective.  Usually when a teacher hands out an assignment, they go over it.  The teacher probably mentioned it then, or at least that's what the school seems to be saying.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 10:40:13 AM »

This is a disgrace, and every teacher in that school, the principal, superintendent, and the entire school board should all be fired and thrown in jail for treason.

Are you serious? I mean really. Sent to jail... for this?

Communism is a dumb system, but it's stupid to ignore that education about communism in school is almost always makes it look evil while capitalism is shown in a godly way.

Someone obviously can't detect sarcasm. And no I'm not talking about Inks.

It's like he didn't even read my second paragraph, where I say pretty much exactly the same thing he said in his second paragraph.

Yeah, I was really impressed by how completely he agreed with you while completely ignoring the inconvenient fact that he agreed with you.

Going beyond the first paragraph seems to be a lost skill for many people.  Especially if they work for cable news. Wink
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »

I...don't see much of a problem here, so long as its coupled with the explanation that that isn't what happened in the USSR.

Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 01:57:31 PM »

The cartoon is rather ridiculous and displays an anti-capitalist bias, and the text both oversimplifies capitalism while misrepresenting communism. The worksheet does not offend me and it really does not matter enough for me to care whether it keeps being used in future classes, but may serve as a convenient example for how easy it is to - whether intentionally or not - pass distorted perceptions of reality on from one person to another.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 08:41:01 PM »

Am I the only one who is just glad the kids in that school are learning anything other then blatant propaganda in history or social studies class? When I was in school we didn't really "learn" anything in that area, just platitudes about how great we were and how everyone else was bad. No perspective whatsoever.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 09:06:43 PM »

Biased.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 01:24:49 AM »

It's really upsetting that this is a news story.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 11:13:27 PM »

It's really upsetting that this is a news story.

I didn't even notice the picture until I took a 2nd look.  I was about to write a big long post asking why this was an issue at all, as it seemed to fairly represent both pros and cons of each system...

But usually when people get that bent out of shape over something like this, it's because they know it's true deep down and don't want to admit it.  Besides maybe the chain and ball on the capitalist workers, even the pictures are correct, "in theory" of course.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies