Nevada: 44,000 Republicans caucused in 2008... 33,000 in 2012.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:33:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Nevada: 44,000 Republicans caucused in 2008... 33,000 in 2012.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nevada: 44,000 Republicans caucused in 2008... 33,000 in 2012.  (Read 2498 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:53:20 AM »
« edited: February 06, 2012, 08:44:13 AM by Joe Republic »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Final result: 32,963.

Turnout was 11% in 2008.  This year it was 8%.

As they demonstrated rather well yesterday and today, the NV GOP is a shambles.  I was far from the only person at yesterday's caucuses who had not received any information - by mail or by phone - about where to go and at what time.  I had to spend a not insignificant amount of time trying to figure it out myself.

The Democrats already have a nominee, and yet they still managed to get 13,000 people to show up and raise their hand for him anyway.  He just opened his fourth campaign office in the state a few days ago.  Mitt Romney has just one.

Nevada may only have six electoral votes, but the GOP are going to have a tough time winning them unless they can get their act together here.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 05:01:56 AM »

Republicans don't need Nevada for the 270th electoral vote. They need Ohio + NH.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 05:17:07 AM »

Republicans don't need Nevada for the 270th electoral vote. They need Ohio + NH.

Well hey, if the GOP wants to give up on a swing state that voted for Bush both times, so be it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 05:22:14 AM »

You left Ohio for Nevada, Joe. That did it for Republicans, they gave up on Nevada and decided to concentrate on Ohio.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:42:31 AM »

Nevada might not be important. Same goes for Colorado and New Mexico potentially.

Ohio and Florida are the keys to winning. Making Pennsylvania and Michigan competitive in October, even September, would help significantly. A southerner who can lock up Virginia and North Carolina early on will be important, too.

Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 10:44:09 AM »

With respect to turnout, most states have had turnout among republicans down.  I do agree that it seems like the Nevada GOP is a mess and that it seems stupid to just ignore it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 11:05:46 AM »

Mitt Rommey's strategy is to run an intensely negative campaign, drive down turnout, and use his money/establishment connections to turn out his base voters (wealthies and Mormons). Every state but South Carolina has seen a significant decline in Republican turnout. This strategy might win Mitt the nomination, but it'll leave behind a scorched earth with little organization or enthusiasm for the fall.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 11:07:11 AM »

Mitt Rommey's strategy is to run an intensely negative campaign, drive down turnout, and use his money/establishment connections to turn out his base voters (wealthies and Mormons). Every state but South Carolina has seen a significant decline in Republican turnout. This strategy might win Mitt the nomination, but it'll leave behind a scorched earth with little organization or enthusiasm for the fall.
He's banking on the same strategy to also work in the fall.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 11:19:05 AM »

sucky field = weak turnout.

If Paul Ryan or Marco Rubio were running, it would be a different story altogether
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »

He's banking on the same strategy to also work in the fall.

Which is why I'm glad he's going to be the nominee. It'll be an hilarious failure.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 01:14:21 PM »

Nevada might not be important. Same goes for Colorado and New Mexico potentially.

Ohio and Florida are the keys to winning.

Uh, can you do math?

283 EVs for Obama. I know you'll insist your hero will take NH, but that still puts Obama at just 279.

Making Pennsylvania and Michigan competitive in October, even September, would help significantly. A southerner who can lock up Virginia and North Carolina early on will be important, too.

...and your boy is not a southerner. Yes I know what's coming, the start of the nonsense that the whole point of the VP candidate is to "lock up" certain states and that the primary thing people vote on is if the running mate of the ticket is from the same region they live in. *sigh*
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 01:24:55 PM »

If Republicans want to cede the southeast, then by all means they should.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »

To be fair, I can't really imagine a situation where Obama wins Indiana while losing Ohio.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »

To be fair, I can't really imagine a situation where Obama wins Indiana while losing Ohio.

Ah yes, I kind of forgot that he even won Indiana.

But even dropping that gives him 272 EVs. So New Hampshire does become vital then, but the last poll showed Obama up big. And Nevada would flip it too. So the GOP obviously can't just write off Nevada (and Colorado).
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »

Hey, if the GOP wants to cede NV, CO, and NM, we'll gladly take them.  (Though, tbh, I don't see the GOP winning NM even if it tried.)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 02:38:23 PM »

Hey, if the GOP wants to cede NV, CO, and NM, we'll gladly take them.  (Though, tbh, I don't see the GOP winning NM even if it tried.)

New Mexico would be one of the few states to landslide simply because their governor was the running mate.  Otherwise, I think Obama could break 60 here against a dullard like Romney.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 07:11:30 PM »

"In an odd sense when turnout is down, contrary to what you are hearing, people are satisfied with the winning and the candidate that’s winning. They are satisfied with Mitt Romney."

-- John Sununu Sr., Romney campaign surrogate
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »

Believe in Low Turnout.

Believe in Mitt Romney.

Believe in America.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 07:50:35 PM »

aka Mehmentum.
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 07:52:42 PM »

I don't see how it is possible for the GOP to rally behind any of these candidates, especially Romney. I wonder if there will be a strong third party candidacy this year?
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 08:18:08 PM »

Hey, if the GOP wants to cede NV, CO, and NM, we'll gladly take them.  (Though, tbh, I don't see the GOP winning NM even if it tried.)

New Mexico would be one of the few states to landslide simply because their governor was the running mate.  Otherwise, I think Obama could break 60 here against a dullard like Romney.
The GOP can pass over NM, like what is there in that state besides dirt?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies