Opinion of the fashion style of Mormon missionaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:53:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of the fashion style of Mormon missionaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of the fashion style of Mormon missionaries
Very Positive

Positive

Neutral

Negative

Very Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Opinion of the fashion style of Mormon missionaries  (Read 3989 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »

Very negative. Gah it's horrendous. On the plus side it makes them easy to identify...and ignore.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:27:22 PM »

Very negative. Suit jackets are too big, their pants are baggy and could be hemmed better, their shoes look cheap, and their ties are ugly and not tied properly.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:38:20 PM »

The biggest problem is the lack of different summer and winter uniforms and respect for local climate differences.  If you dress the same on a mission trip to Tuscon in July and Duluth in January, you have a problem.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »

Are they not allowed to wear overcoats in the winter or cotton/linen suits in the summer?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 03:08:44 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2016, 09:55:51 PM by Simfan34 »

Better than what most wear, so one must give them credit for that. But goodness, those ties are far too short and those suits horrendously ill-fitting.

Mikado, couldn't a black seersucker, linen, or cotton suit for summer and wool for winter solve the problem? A three button wool suit with a heavy dress shirt, buttoned, would keep you rather warm, and vice versa.

RETROSPECTIVE EDIT: Of course, the most common outfit worn by Mormon missionaries are dark trousers, short-sleeve shirt, and tie, which is peculiar both in the sense that it is, while admirable as an attempt at formality, it is an odd and decidedly unstylish combination, and in that it is a combination worn mostly by Mormon missionaries to such an extent that it serves as a unique identifier. More than once have I seen men on the street who simply give off the impression of being Mormon missionaries-- and almost always are-- before I actively realise it's the particular combination of clothes.

I voted positive, would probably vote neutral now. While from a strictly sartorial perspective it'd clearly be negative (there can be worse), the sentiment is to be appreciated, and, far more importantly, it must be considered that this is a BRTD thread and just what kind of clothes BRTD would have a "very positive" opinion of.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 03:18:05 PM »

Very. Very. Negative!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »

Why do they wear ties anyway? I would be significantly far less likely to listen to someone wearing a tie than someone not.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 05:30:26 PM »

Why do they wear ties anyway? I would be significantly far less likely to listen to someone wearing a tie than someone not.
Those guys in the picture don't give two sh**ts about your, BRTD.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 05:36:57 PM »

If they ever met me they theoretically should, as their goal is to convert me to Mormonism.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 05:47:02 PM »

Here they do dispense with the jackets and do wear shirt sleeved shirts (these two alterations making the ties look even worse).
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 05:47:18 PM »

If they ever met me they theoretically should, as their goal is to convert me to Mormonism.
Perhaps if you made a big deal about it, they would take the ties off.  My point is they aren't posing for you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 05:50:12 PM »

Perhaps if you made a big deal about it, they would take the ties off.  My point is they aren't posing for you.

Too late. First impressions are everything. Do you think I'd be so into Jesus Christ now if all Christians preached wearing suits and ties?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »

Crime #1: the suits are terribly ill-fitting
Crime #2: the ties end should just sit on the belt buckle.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 06:29:18 PM »

Too late. First impressions are everything. Do you think I'd be so into Jesus Christ now if all Christians preached wearing suits and ties?
No, because your only concern is being hip.  Lucky for you, being a Christian won't save you, or anyone else, from Hell.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 06:34:23 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2016, 11:05:14 PM by Simfan34 »

BRTD, you are an HP. Those who lambaste ties and suits are at the vanguard of the destruction of society. They are the hallmarks of civilization, of culture, and you hold a contempt for them matched only by my approbatory fervor. I respect you, but I can never like you as long as that remains your position.

Now this is an (sartorial) FF.

And so is this guy HRH The Prince of Wales. It also helps the tailor is called- well, what do you think?

RETROSPECTIVE EDIT:  BRTD's fashion preferences remain inane and ridiculous. I have no recollection as to who the men whose pictures I originally posted were, but I assume the tailor which I refer to is Huntsman, which, as with my adoration of Jon Huntsman, is no longer obvious, a Savile Row tailoring house best known for their one-button jackets.

I instead chose President Obama and the Prince of Wales, two men who clearly have different stylistic senses-- largely informed by personal context-- but are both well dressed. Obama has grown on me, at least in terms of what he wears-- his style exemplifies the conservative business attire worn by white-collar professionals. He sets a good example for what to wear to work. While I am probably a greater fan of the Prince of Wales's fashion sense than Obama's, my own sartorial choices will resemble Obama's far more than they will the PoW's, at least while I'm young and a low-level member of whatever organization I end up working for.

More... expressive "business" attire (the technical yet misleading term is "informal") looks better as one grows older and wiser, Bill Clinton is a very good example of this. Fanciness does not equal formality, which is something I've become more aware of over the years (the bowtie being a good example of this). Trying to dress like the Prince would at best make me a young dandy at best and look as if I was dressed in an old man's clothes at worst. There is a suit for all seasons; they allow for far more diversity than BRTD's band shirts.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »

I could not agree more with the above post.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 07:30:36 PM »

I have said before that if I ever go to a church and the pastor is wearing a tie, I'm walking about, period. It is never acceptable. Same thing if I were a Jew going to synagogue and the rabbi was wearing a tie.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 07:35:57 PM »

...and it's yet another predictably BRTD thread.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 07:53:47 PM »

BRTD, you are an HP. Those who lambaste ties and suits are at the vanguard of the destruction of society. They are the hallmarks of civilization, of culture, and you hold a contempt for them matched only by my approbatory fervor. I respect you, but I can never like you as long as that remains your position.

Now this is an FF.

And so is this guy. It also helps the tailor is called- well, what do you think?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 08:05:05 PM »

Simfan, you remind me of Barney from "How I met your mother".
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »

I love how the one guy's jacket is big enough to be a coat.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 08:58:13 PM »

The suits are a lot less strange than this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_underwear
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »

I love how the one guy's jacket is big enough to be a coat.

What are you talking about?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 09:00:47 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2012, 09:02:57 PM by Blackwater NiK »

Simfan, I salute you. You are a patriot.

Some of these people have great bow ties, which is my choice of tie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bow_tie_wearers
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 10:24:31 PM »

Little man on the first picture in the thread. 'Love' meant in a mocking way, obviously.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies