The CO, MN & MO Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:20:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The CO, MN & MO Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23
Author Topic: The CO, MN & MO Results Thread  (Read 38300 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: February 08, 2012, 04:12:56 PM »

There are hardly any Republicans in Pemiscot county anyway.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #501 on: February 08, 2012, 04:19:33 PM »

Abe Simpson on beauty contest primaries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWc6WRHKEE
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #502 on: February 08, 2012, 04:31:02 PM »

LOL, only two people predicted a Santorum win in Colorado: https://uselectionatlas.org/PRED/PRESIDENT/2012R/pred.php?action=statepred&fips=8
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #503 on: February 08, 2012, 05:13:41 PM »

The NY Times has Santorum winning all 37 delegates but CNN has it broken up more proportionally... anyone know what the truth is?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #504 on: February 08, 2012, 06:04:31 PM »

The NY Times has Santorum winning all 37 delegates but CNN has it broken up more proportionally... anyone know what the truth is?

The truth is that no delegates were formally bound to vote for any nominee last night.  It's how Colorado and Minnesota get to avoid the 50% penalty for going early.  No delegates at all will selected in Colorado until the district conventions in late March/early April select three delegates each.  If Gingrich has dropped out by then and backs Santorum, its possible for Santorum to get all the delegates then and at the 14 April state convention, tho I would expect Romney to get all the delegates from a couple of the CD's.  Paul and Gingrich are only going to get delegates out of Colorado if their support is still needed.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #505 on: February 08, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »

A corrupt anti-gay person is not more electable than Romney or even Paul.  I'm sorry.

Yes.

Good news is that it makes more space/uncertainty for Paul, and if Santorum gets the nomination, more space for Gary Johnson.

If Paul drops out at some point, and Santorum gets the nomination - I might vote for Johnson if he can push real numbers (Paul could endorse him?).
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #506 on: February 08, 2012, 06:54:34 PM »

I know we had a major moan about the lack of speed in NV at the weekend but even so. It is now 1.13pm CST and according to the Minnesota Secretary of State's own website only 4062 out of 4137 precincts have reported (98.2% of the total). I know that MN is a rural state and I know that it is probably under several feet of snow, but for goodness sakes, what are they using to count the votes? First graders?

They are counting the votes in the one-room schoolhouse in the Northwest Angle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Angle
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #507 on: February 09, 2012, 12:17:21 AM »

Mitt's campaign has to be the most incompetent ever.

Doesn't anyone realize that pushing the message that the race is "over" might cause your supporters to think that the race is actually over and not show up? 

And given that a couple of caucus states are up, where the message to turn out is even more important than normal, isn't this just asking for trouble?

My point is - do Mitt's people think that all those who have been against him since 2007 are just going to simply give up because he pulled some of Giuliani and McCain's voters in FL, SC and NH?  Are they really that arrogant?

This is a serious question I'm asking Mitt's supporters.  Do you think a guy with this incompetent of a campaign, who seemingly miss these rather obvious points, can actually win an election barring it being a situation where anyone can win?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #508 on: February 09, 2012, 01:20:35 AM »

Doesn't anyone realize that pushing the message that the race is "over" might cause your supporters to think that the race is actually over and not show up? 

And given that a couple of caucus states are up, where the message to turn out is even more important than normal, isn't this just asking for trouble?

My point is - do Mitt's people think that all those who have been against him since 2007 are just going to simply give up because he pulled some of Giuliani and McCain's voters in FL, SC and NH?  Are they really that arrogant?

This is a serious question I'm asking Mitt's supporters.  Do you think a guy with this incompetent of a campaign, who seemingly miss these rather obvious points, can actually win an election barring it being a situation where anyone can win?

That's actually a really great point.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #509 on: February 09, 2012, 01:21:53 AM »

His campaign style reminds me of a certain platitude loving, vague, robotic, Governor of New York, circa 1948....
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #510 on: February 09, 2012, 01:28:16 AM »

His campaign style reminds me of a certain platitude loving, vague, robotic, Governor of New York, circa 1948....

?

George Romney didn't run until 1968.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #511 on: February 09, 2012, 01:55:56 AM »

?

George Romney didn't run until 1968.

Thomas Dewey. The parallels between him and Romney are bountiful. Romney seems to have picked up his playbook.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #512 on: February 09, 2012, 01:59:34 AM »

Ha, I loved the use of "bountiful". It's even better if that wasn't deliberate.
yourelection

« Reply #513 on: February 09, 2012, 02:18:08 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 02:20:08 AM by yourelection »

This was an amazing victory for Santorum and threw a major wrench in the gears of the Romney campaign. Not that he won't win, but an annoying setback that tarnishes his image.

Summed up my thoughts about the Tuesday results:
http://www.yourelection.net/2012/02/santorum-wins-caucuses-in-minnesota-and-colorado/
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #514 on: February 09, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »

I missed the bit where Mittens said the race is over, which is something, that yes, while I may say it, a candidate shouldn't. Which brings to my mind a question. Is Sam more of a hack against Romney, or am I more of a hack for him?  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #515 on: February 09, 2012, 12:56:57 PM »

Bingo
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #516 on: February 09, 2012, 04:17:03 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 04:22:52 PM by Politico »

This is a serious question I'm asking Mitt's supporters.  Do you think a guy with this incompetent of a campaign, who seemingly miss these rather obvious points, can actually win an election barring it being a situation where anyone can win?

All it is going to take to beat Obama is NOT having a history of speaking about man-on-dog relations, colonizing the dark side of the moon, and bringing back the gold standard while allowing Iran to obtain nuclear weapons.

Neither sleeping with multiple mistresses nor sleeping with a fetus is going to be a huge winner with the 20% of the electorate who are going to decide whether or not Obama gets thrown out. The Santorum bit is a true tragedy, and I see nothing wrong with it because I cannot say what I would do in that situation. I might very well do the same thing he did. However, I am just reporting what the swing voters are going to think about it. The forecast: Not looking good. Still, Santorum is a huge improvement over the moral degeneracy of Newt Gingrich...
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #517 on: February 09, 2012, 04:31:57 PM »

This is a serious question I'm asking Mitt's supporters.  Do you think a guy with this incompetent of a campaign, who seemingly miss these rather obvious points, can actually win an election barring it being a situation where anyone can win?

All it is going to take to beat Obama is NOT having a history of speaking about man-on-dog relations, colonizing the dark side of the moon, and bringing back the gold standard while allowing Iran to obtain nuclear weapons.

Neither sleeping with multiple mistresses nor sleeping with a fetus is going to be a huge winner with the 20% of the electorate who are going to decide whether or not Obama gets thrown out. The Santorum bit is a true tragedy, and I see nothing wrong with it because I cannot say what I would do in that situation. I might very well do the same thing he did. However, I am just reporting what the swing voters are going to think about it. The forecast: Not looking good. Still, Santorum is a huge improvement over the moral degeneracy of Newt Gingrich...

I agree with most of this, except the Ron Paul stuff, which most of the electorate generally agrees with (even though I differ from him on the gold standard, I don't have any problem with fiat currency).

Romney's "strength" is that he's not extreme.  In a general election, I think the recurring point is that Obama is, and there's plenty of supporting material.

I'd much prefer an ideologically pure libertarian, and remain convinced that Paul is the strongest GE candidate.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #518 on: February 09, 2012, 04:39:13 PM »

Mitt Romney is a terrible candidate for a lot of reasons, and he probably won't win against Barack Obama. But no matter how much his detractors want to shout "ROMNEY CAN'T WIN," the fact doesn't change: The other two losers in the GOP race will get beat much, much worse.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #519 on: February 09, 2012, 05:55:18 PM »

Mitt Romney is a terrible candidate for a lot of reasons, and he probably won't win against Barack Obama. But no matter how much his detractors want to shout "ROMNEY CAN'T WIN," the fact doesn't change: The other two losers in the GOP race will get beat much, much worse.

Kudos. I disagree about him probably not winning against Barack Obama. In 2008? Absolutely. But Obama is toast, especially if what many think is going to happen in Europe happens in September or October.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #520 on: February 09, 2012, 07:47:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So we get bonus points for a close loss?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #521 on: February 09, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »

Romney's "strength" is that he's not extreme.  In a general election, I think the recurring point is that Obama is, and there's plenty of supporting material.

This is a joke, right? Apologies if it is and I've missed it, but there are plenty of people on this sub-forum who post things like this on a regular basis without any trace of irony.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #522 on: February 09, 2012, 07:59:44 PM »

Yeah, it's called winning back the Senate at best or at least holding onto the House. Do you really want to hand Obama a landslide victory, a Democratic Congress, and a massive so-called "mandate"? That's what happens if Santorum or Gingrich get the nod.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #523 on: February 09, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »

Yeah, it's called winning back the Senate at best or at least holding onto the House. Do you really want to hand Obama a landslide victory, a Democratic Congress, and a massive so-called "mandate"? That's what happens if Santorum or Gingrich get the nod.

I doubt that, and even it did, unless the Democrats suddenly develop an appreciation for original intent, they aren't going to ditch the filibuster, so they won't be able to do much in the next Congress.  60 Democratic Senators is not possible.  And if they did ditch the filibuster and restore responsible government (responsible in the sense that a majority party will no longer be able to blame a minority party for their failures) that will be a long term benefit to the country.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #524 on: February 09, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »

What evidence do you have that Romney has coattails? From where I sit - the conservatives did better in '10 by expressing conservative principles. It would seem to me that Romney would depress turnout in the downballot races.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies