Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 11:47:00 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  will Kasich be a drag on the (R) nominee in Ohio?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: will Kasich be a drag on the (R) nominee in Ohio?  (Read 1032 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:07:04 pm »
Ignore

obviously he won't be on the ballot, but he has approvals in the low 30s

there's no ghosts in the graveyard, that's not where they live
they live in between a, 'what is' and 'what if?'
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:09:42 pm »
Ignore

Oh, good. This nonsense again.

The soon-to-be-re-elected Kings of Kansas.
Ebowed
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -8.32, S: -9.30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:16:40 pm »
Ignore

I assume Mitt Romney and John Kasich will be making as many appearances together as possible throughout the state!

A tidal wave of healthcare has swept across coal country. 
cinyc
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 04:19:20 pm »
Ignore

As much as Malloy will be a drag on Obama in Connecticut, which is to say not at all.  Coattails are overrated.  Coattails of someone who's not even on the ballot are virtually non-existent.
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 04:21:50 pm »
Ignore

I assume Mitt Romney and John Kasich will be making as many appearances together as possible throughout the state!

No but this idea that people are going to vote based on their negative feelings on Kasich is silly.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 04:22:28 pm »
Ignore

As much as Malloy will be a drag on Obama in Connecticut, which is to say not at all.  Coattails are overrated.  Coattails of someone who's not even on the ballot are virtually non-existent.

I wouldn't call what I am trying to get at 'coattails'... there's a Jason Biggs movie (I think), and he is picking out a film in a video rental store that he wants to watch with a woman that he seeks to bone, and he explains the situation to the video store clerk and seeks counsel.  as he queries the clerk on 'How Harry Met Sally', the clerk replies, "can you keep a boner for two hours whilst looking at Billy Crystal?"  and so my question is, have Ohio voters turned flaccid on the GOP after staring at Kasich for over a year?

there's no ghosts in the graveyard, that's not where they live
they live in between a, 'what is' and 'what if?'
Pope Kalwejt I of Northeast
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 04:35:44 pm »
Ignore

OK, Governors impact is a bit overrated, but do exists. Remember when Bob Taft dragged the entire GOP ticket down in 2006, while not being on the ballot himself?

Invisible Obama
DrScholl
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 04:38:40 pm »
Ignore

I expect whoever the nominee is to fully embrace Kasich and campaign with him, so yes, he will be a drag. Republicans never believe their own politicians are unpopular and will not distance themselves from the unpopular ones.

Please seek a 5150 if your candidate loses.
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 04:39:28 pm »
Ignore

OK, Governors impact is a bit overrated, but do exists. Remember when Bob Taft dragged the entire GOP ticket down in 2006, while not being on the ballot himself?

I remember 2006 dragging down the ticket in 2006.

By the way, Taft certainly was a factor but those were for state and federal races that are different from a Presidential contest.

Cory
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 05:25:24 pm »
Ignore

Assuming Romney is ultimately the nominee, I think Ohio will actually be an uphill climb for the GOP this time around. I just think the "moneybags mitt" narrative is too pervasive for Mitt to overcome. And Frankly, in a general election setting Romney is a very easy person to attack for obvious reasons.

Honestly the MidWest in general is a hard knock for Mitt.
Reaganfan
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 06:35:40 pm »
Ignore

Santorum can win Ohio, but it's an uphill battle. Obama seems pretty popular here. If he could somehow compensate Pennsylvania for Ohio, that would be fantastic.
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 06:49:15 pm »
Ignore

Republicans never believe their own politicians are unpopular and will not distance themselves from the unpopular ones.

What about in 1980 with Kennedy getting the endorsement and campaigning with the then mayor of Chicago who was unpopular?

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=195483.new#new
the birth of modern america & onward election Frederick Douglas becomes the 1st African American president of the united states when he wins election to the office in 1892 only 30 years after the height of slavery in the United States. He narrowly wins reelection in 1896 against William Jennings Bryan. Douglas runs again in 1900 and even indicated his interest in a 4th run in 1904 but Grover Cleveland wins the 1900 election.
TheGlobalizer
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 06:58:41 pm »
Ignore

Kasich?  No.

SB 5?  Yes.
pbrower2a
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 07:01:32 pm »
Ignore

Santorum can win Ohio, but it's an uphill battle. Obama seems pretty popular here. If he could somehow compensate Pennsylvania for Ohio, that would be fantastic.

Six years after Pennsylvania voters showed Senator Rick Santorum decisively (59-41) that they no longer wanted him in the Senate  they will still know why they no longer wanted him in the US Senate. There's just no state or combination of states that Rick Santorum or any other Republican candidate can pick up as compensation for the loss of Ohio. You can say "Pennsylvania", "Michigan", "two of Iowa, Minnesota, and Iowa", or for that matter "New York" or even "California" if you wish, but any Republican nominee for President must force a change in consciousness of America to win election.  

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
Indy Texas
independentTX
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 07:03:35 pm »
Ignore

I've never heard of a down-ballot candidate affecting the performance of candidates higher on the ticket...especially when said down-ballot candidate isn't even going to be on the ballot in that election.

"Well, religious beliefs aren't reasonable. I mean, religious beliefs are categorical. You know, it's God tells you. It's not a matter of being reasonable. God be reasonable? He's supposed to have a full beard."
—Hon. Antonin Scalia, Holt v. Hobbs (2014)

Cory
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 07:09:24 pm »
Ignore

Six years after Pennsylvania voters showed Senator Rick Santorum decisively (59-41) that they no longer wanted him in the Senate  they will still know why they no longer wanted him in the US Senate.

Just like how in 1962 the people of California showed Richard Nixon that they didn't want him to be Governor? Having lost previous elections is way overrated as an indicator of future performance.
Cory
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 07:10:45 pm »
Ignore

Yeah I think Santorum would have an easier time winning states like Ohio and Iowa then Mittens. Granted Santorum is to the right on social issues but this is going to be an economy election. This isn't 2004.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 07:10:55 pm »
Ignore

Malloy's unpopularity is not the same as Kasich's. Kasich has worse disapprovals, stronger feelings of disapproval among those who do, and more disapprovers that would be willing to vote for the opposite party.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 07:28:16 pm »
Ignore

I could see him helping Sherrod Brown some but Obama, not as much.

Pope Kalwejt I of Northeast
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 07:30:28 pm »
Ignore

By the way, Taft certainly was a factor but those were for state and federal races that are different from a Presidential contest.

Look, I agree "unpopular Governor dragging the presidential candidate down" is overrated, but certainly, Kasich won't be a help for any of the band of three.

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 07:58:49 pm »
Ignore

Look, I agree "unpopular Governor dragging the presidential candidate down" is overrated, but certainly, Kasich won't be a help for any of the band of three.

I never said he would be a help.

President von Cat
captain copernicus
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 09:07:43 pm »
Ignore

Yeah I think Santorum would have an easier time winning states like Ohio and Iowa then Mittens. Granted Santorum is to the right on social issues but this is going to be an economy election. This isn't 2004.

If this is an economy election, Rick Santorum won't be the nominee.

It makes me happy Republicans will never be able to say they defeated Obama. Never ever.
HST1948
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -4.97, S: -5.30

P

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 09:12:23 pm »
Ignore

Malloy has a 50% approval rating to 45% who disapprove in the latest poll out on Connecticut.

That said I agree coattails of people who's names the voters don't see on the ballot do very little to hurt their party's nominee unless the race is made about that person (ie. Ohio 2006).

"I believe we can keep the promise of our founders, the idea that if you’re willing to work hard, it doesn’t matter who you are or where you come from or what you look like or where you love. It doesn’t matter whether you’re black or white or Hispanic or Asian or Native American or young or old or rich or poor, able, disabled, gay or straight, you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try.
-Obama
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 09:56:45 pm »
Ignore

This sort of thing only happens in Canada.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 09:57:48 pm »
Ignore

Yes, Kasich/SB5 is going to hurt the Republican nominee in Ohio. There are an awful lot of normally swing voters out there who have lost trust in the Republican Party after said perceived power grab. That's not to say Ohio's not still a swing state; it is. But it will be a few points more Democratic come 2012 than it would have been if Kasich&Co. in Columbus had not attempted the collective bargaining legislation.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout