Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 02:04:26 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  2016 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  So, is Rick Santorum going to become president in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: See above.
Yes   -7 (17.5%)
No   -33 (82.5%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: So, is Rick Santorum going to become president in 2016?  (Read 1593 times)
Breaking hearts and minds
Old Europe
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2012, 05:03:20 pm »
Ignore

I'm asking because the answer is "yes" if you go by conventional rules. That and the fact that we have also laughed at the idea of Santorum winning Iowa or Colorado.

His successes during this primary season would make him the traditional "next-in-line". It already seems like Republicans don't break their "next-in-line" even if it means that they have to nominate Mitt Romney. Tongue And except for the 1981-1993 period, no party has controlled the White House for more than two presidential terms in the past 60 years.
Odysseus
Scifiguy
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 06:15:07 pm »
Ignore

I could see him being the nominee, definately not being President.
Nagas
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -7.65

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 10:38:12 pm »
Ignore

The Democratic nominee would have to be weak or suffer a scandal. Cuomo or Schweitzer would destroy him.

morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:20:42 am »
Ignore

2000 to deny.
Pope Kalwejt I of Northeast
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 09:17:18 am »
Ignore

The Democratic nominee would have to be weak or suffer a scandal. Cuomo or Schweitzer would destroy him.

Conventional wisdom says that 8 years is the most one party can get. Only exception in post FDR/Truman times, Reagan/Bush 12 years from 1981 to 1993, were a fluke.

Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 07:45:52 pm »
Ignore

Unless something tragic happens he won't become President in 2016, unless he already is.  He might in 2017, though.  Just stating facts here.

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 08:48:17 pm »
Ignore

Very much doubt the GOP would let him pull an Adlai. He's losing big in November and he's done.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I will get up and move around every now and then so I reduce the chances to get hit with another Grade 8 headache in the morning.
Cobbler
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 04:26:46 am »
Ignore

With popular conservatives like Rubio, Jindal, McDonnell, and possibly Bush running next time around, I don't think he'd be able to pull it off. He's basically the just the last resort of the ABRs this time around.

Economic score: +2.19
Social score: -5.74
Pictor Ignotus
TCash101
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 11:58:41 am »
Ignore

Yes, a third party moderate will peel off independents and Santorum will consolidate GOP support and win a la Lincoln 1860, Wilson 1912, Clinton 1992.

Renew our Democracy!
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 10:20:39 pm »
Ignore

No.

If Rick is the nominee this time and wins, then he can't become president in 2016 as he'll already be president.

If Mitt is the nominee this time and wins, he'll be the GOP standard bearer in 2016, not Rick.

If Obama is reelected, then a whole crop of better candidates will run in 2016 for the open seat, and neither Mitt nor Rick will be the GOP nominee in 2016.

There is a remote chance that Rick could become president in 2020 after eight years as Vice President, but only Phil would ever be likely to bet on that.

My ballot:
Haley(R) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
Nagas
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -7.65

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 08:47:50 pm »
Ignore

Conventional wisdom says that 8 years is the most one party can get. Only exception in post FDR/Truman times, Reagan/Bush 12 years from 1981 to 1993, were a fluke.

I view that more as an issue of fatigue to get the years 9-12. Gore, Nixon (1960) and Ford ran close races in elections between two equal candidates each time. Hell, even Humphrey wasn't that far off, just swing 3 close states his way.

I think going for years 13-16 (ala Bush) doesn't typically pan out because the business cycle tends to rear its head by the then.

Assuming Obama wins, the Republicans are favored to win slightly between the benches (although both sides are phenomenal). Santorum would be a weak choice, though, and tip the scales to the Democrats.

Tidewater_Wave
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 11:28:16 pm »
Ignore

No I doubt it, this is his chance. For him to do this well again without winning the presidency is extremely unlikely.  I think the idea of being VP for 8 years does get him a better chance in 2020, but we all know the trend of that.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout