Why is America so religious in the first place? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:31:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why is America so religious in the first place? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is America so religious in the first place?  (Read 5545 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: February 09, 2012, 03:19:34 PM »

but, I think Japan is off topic for comparison since it's not even a Christian nation.

Japan's irreligiosity is also massively overstated relative to actual quotidian life in the country, even by Japanese people. I've said on this site in the past that Japan is probably one of the only 'low religious identification, high religious observance' societies on Earth. It's certainly the most extreme example that comes to mind.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »

but, I think Japan is off topic for comparison since it's not even a Christian nation.

Japan's irreligiosity is also massively overstated relative to actual quotidian life in the country, even by Japanese people. I've said on this site in the past that Japan is probably one of the only 'low religious identification, high religious observance' societies on Earth. It's certainly the most extreme example that comes to mind.

Despite over 60 years of so-called athiest government, I also find that China is definitely more religiously devout than anywhere in the western world, save the southern US. Though overt discussion of faith will elicit laughter.

Yes, very much so. The Asian way of 'doing' religion, if it wasn't always very different to the Western way, has certainly become so over the past century or so, with secularization being mostly superficial in many countries.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 01:50:52 PM »

Despite over 60 years of so-called athiest government, I also find that China is definitely more religiously devout than anywhere in the western world, save the southern US. Though overt discussion of faith will elicit laughter.

Wait a minute... China is the Western world? When did this happen?

'Than anywhere in the Western world', not 'Than anywhere else in the Western world'. I don't think the attempt was to suggest that China itself is Western.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:12:20 PM »

Less population density and no state church.

As weird as it sounds, American Christianity is tribal.

And the Canadian ecumene is small enough relative to the size of the country that this might not be the case there (at least, not in the Canadian 'heartland' along the St Lawrence and Great Lakes), plus the whole ambiguous history of Catholicism in Quebec. Makes sense.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 01:36:09 PM »

We are on the verge of a revival that would make the First Great Awakening look like child's play.

i don't know anything about the "First Great Awakening", but I highly highly doubt we're on the verge of a revival.

You should read up on it, jmfcst. I'm not saying that to be snide or something, I genuinely think it would interest you a lot.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies