Barack Obama vs Rick Santorum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:52:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Barack Obama vs Rick Santorum
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Barack Obama

Rick Santorum

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 118

Author Topic: Barack Obama vs Rick Santorum  (Read 9776 times)
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 11:25:45 AM »

I think this is Santorum's realistic minimum. All tossup states go Obama.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 12:16:13 PM »

I would never vote for Obama, a gorilla sounds better.  Either that, I'd vote third party.

Your racism is showing.

MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 12:20:47 PM »

I would never vote for Obama, a gorilla sounds better.  Either that, I'd vote third party.

Your racism is showing.

You're twisting my logic here.  Im saying, anybody even an animal can run this country better than the current President.  His performance is lacking, and you turn it into a race debate which it's not.
Jacobtm

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 12:30:55 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 12:35:05 PM by Jacobtm »

You're twisting my logic here.  Im saying, anybody even an animal can run this country better than the current President.  His performance is lacking, and you turn it into a race debate which it's not.

I think some Republicans just don't even understand how racist they sound.

You do realize that black people, for centuries, have been caricatured as monkeys and apes by racists, right? You do realize that the neo-nazi/stormfront/KKK people love to call black people monkeys/apes to this day, and frequently call Obama a monkey/ape?.

Comparing the President to a monkey is not even a ''dog whistle'' racist tactic, it's an openly racist tactic, saying that black people are sub-human.

So when you talk about him being WORSE than an ape, you're just speaking the same language as the KKK/Neo-Nazis/Storm-Front people.
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »

LOL, if you're a "libertarian" and you're picking Santorum over Obama, you're probably not actually a libertarian.

My thought as well.
The economy is the biggest issue right now, and Santorum is far more preferable to Obama on economic issues. Therefore, Santorum would get my vote.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »

As a right-libertarian/Ron Paul supporter given this Sophie's choice of candidates: Obama every time.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 02:42:41 PM »

LOL, if you're a "libertarian" and you're picking Santorum over Obama, you're probably not actually a libertarian.

This x100000000000.

I hate Obama with uncontrollable disgust, but he's still a far more acceptable candidate to me.

Obviously, I'd vote Gary Johnson, however.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 02:44:16 PM »

American right-libertarianism = support of totalitarian private dictatorships.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 02:56:20 PM »

Obama over Santorum big time.
hotpprs
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: 3.83

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »

Generous?
Who here actually thinks Obama would beat Santorum in Ohio?
No way, no how.
It's Santorum's back yard, and loaded with Christian conservatives.

Being very generous to Santorum:

Republicans are absolutely bonkers
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 04:52:22 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 04:57:58 PM by I like firing poor people! »

My thought as well.
The economy is the biggest issue right now, and Santorum is far more preferable to Obama on economic issues. Therefore, Santorum would get my vote.

That makes no sense. Nobody is supporting Santorum because he is steadier than Obama on the economy. Its because he represents religious/social issue interests, aka "real conservatism" better than Mitt Romney. And because he is more "like" blue collar voters in the midwest (he doesn't enjoy firing people, he doesn't have "200-some-odd million" in wealth). But that has nothing to do with being able to turn around the economy. Lets not forgot that Santorum was himself a part of big government conservatism that helped caused this economic mess in the first place!

Republicans nominate Rick Santorum at their own peril. It would essentially be akin to nominating a cultural warrior in the midst of a weak economy, when simple logic would call for someone with credible economic chops. The country as a whole will not elect a religious warrior when so much else is at stake.

The fact that Mitt Romney is struggling so much to sell himself on something as simple as economic competence represents what a facking failure of a candidate he has been.
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 05:02:04 PM »

That makes no sense. Nobody is supporting Santorum because he is steadier than Obama on the economy. Its because he represents religious/social issue interests, aka "real conservatism" better than Mitt Romney. And because he is more "like" blue collar voters in the midwest (he doesn't enjoy firing people, he doesn't have "200-some-odd million" in wealth). But that has nothing to do with being able to turn around the economy.

Republicans nominate Rick Santorum at their own peril. It would essentially be akin to nominating a cultural warrior in the midst of a weak economy, when simple logic would call for someone with credible economic chops. The country as a whole will not elect a religious warrior when so much else is at stake.

The fact that Mitt Romney is struggling so much to sell himself on something as simple as economic competence represents what a facking failure of a candidate he has been.
This is all true. But I am not a Santorum supporter in this primary. I disagree with just about everything he has to say on social issues. His fixation with gays, for example, is totally ridiculous and even disturbing at times. But his economic policy--even if he doesn't emphasize as much as he should--is better than Obama's.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »

I'd vote for Rick Santorum over Barry Soetoro any day of the week.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 05:41:50 PM »

Turn the tossups to Santorum, and you have my map. O has the west coast, NE -PA, MI + IL and that's all.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 05:58:26 PM »

Obama. Duh.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 06:56:40 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 06:58:48 PM by I like firing poor people! »

Turn the tossups to Santorum, and you have my map. O has the west coast, NE -PA, MI + IL and that's all.

..and then you'll wake up.

This isn't the year 2000; the country has moved beyond idiot Bible boy candidates. We know what a "compassionate conservative" is, and we aren't interested.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 07:01:50 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Which is why you'd take a compassionate Obama? Makes no sense to me. If it's big government you're against it stands to reason that you'd oppose Obama.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 07:04:09 PM »

Compassionate conservatism as a governing ideology died on 9/11 before it even got a chance to be implemented. It's not my first choice, but it would be far better than what the Republican Party typically produces.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 07:33:25 PM »

The fact that Obama doesn't have +90% of the vote in this poll is distressing.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 07:54:17 PM »

If Santorum wins the nomination I'll probably just vote for him out of respect. The man will have achieved the impossible.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2012, 08:18:37 PM »

Yeah I changed my mind.

Of the two, Obama.
Jacobtm

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2012, 10:29:42 PM »

Generous?
Who here actually thinks Obama would beat Santorum in Ohio?
No way, no how.
It's Santorum's back yard, and loaded with Christian conservatives.

Being very generous to Santorum:

Republicans are absolutely bonkers

Santorum isn't even winning his home state. That's like saying Al Gore should've won Kentucky cause it was next to Tennessee...

Santorum is as much of a retard as Palin or Bachmann, he just had more tenacity than they did. When he is on TV non-stop, people will be appalled by him. Stand him next to Obama, and there is no comparison.

Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2012, 01:46:58 AM »

All I know is my very devout and Christian mother looked at me when she heard Santorum speak and said, if for some reason heaven is full of pretentious rightwingers like him, then I don't want to go there. I think that settles that. Barry all the way!
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2012, 02:05:05 AM »

Vote for Santorum and you will get WW3 Wink
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2012, 02:39:25 AM »

Here is my concern right now. From a personal standpoint, Santorum is fine on the issues and I would vote for him over Obama, with ease. The problem is that he continues to drive the GOP down the road to Mike Huckabee. As the GOP becomes more dependent on winning those midwest states, it will become a party of big government and protectionism which isn't conservative in my definition of the term. Santorum himself isn't that bad, contrary to Politico's nonesense, but the problem comes with the rich fiscal conservatives and the libertarians.

The rich fi-cons aren't as generous and don't see a difference really, and the overwhelming focus on the social issues will only make it worse. He can't maintain, more or less restore a balance within the GOP base that is essential to preserve simulteanously competativness in the SW/VA/NE burbs as well as in the upper midwest/interior South. The latter of which, is shrinking, by the way.  The GOP needs to push back against the realignment if it wants to remain a conservative party on both fiscal and social issues. To maintain that, it needs to preserve it's competativeness across the Sunbelt/Suburbs that powered the party in the 1980's. Otherwise politics will necessitate sacrificing one for the other.

Going forward, it is also important to bring Libertarians back into the party. Young Republicans for the most part do not share the same world view as the rest of the party. If party is to have a future it is going to have to back it's way into Libertarian theories and principles. That doesn't mean we should embrace the quackery of Ron Paul and "End the Fed/Stop the wars!!!". It means we should start re-embracing states rights, start to delegating controverisal social issues like Gay MArriage to the states and drop the FMA, take a more balanced approach on foreign policy, etc. Libertarianism shouldn't have to be at odds with social conservatism. The only reason it has become that way is the imbalance in the party and the preferential treatment that wing has received. 

Santorum can't do this. Not sure anyone could as this point, but Rick certainly can't. He has put to much emphasis on antagonizing Ron Paul and re-emphaising his adherence to cultural conservatism at time when advancing that is best served with the silent approach. I sometimes wonder if Conservatives care at all about the long term strength of the movement and whether or not it actually exists in the future. You can't avoid the reality of a more libertarian GOP in the future, unless you are in denial about what is to come. If that move is aborted, I frankly don't see how the GOP or the Conservative movement as we know it survives. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies