Republicans who still think any of the final 4 has a chance?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:29:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Republicans who still think any of the final 4 has a chance?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Republicans, do you still think that any of the final 4 can beat Obama?
Yes, any of them would beat Obama

Yes, but only 1 has a chance

Who knows?

No, they're all toast

Not a Republican

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Republicans who still think any of the final 4 has a chance?  (Read 2302 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:00:36 AM »

Honestly, I can't imagine how intrade still has the odds 60/40.

Obama has it in the bag, these guys are absolute clowns. Santorum? President Santorum?

C'mon, buck up, 2016 is probably yours.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:13:01 AM »

GOP primary turnout is tanking...very bad sign.

And the Establishment has to take the blame on this one.  Romney is such a failure of a candidate.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 01:17:53 AM »

I still think Romney has a chance to be competitive with Obama, and Paul would make things interesting for sure. Santorum and Newt, not so much.
Jacobtm

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:28:12 AM »

All I'm saying is, intrade is looking like one hell of an investment at this point.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:46:42 AM »

Independents hate all four, Republicans are unenthused about all four, and the volatile style of this campaign is destroying all four.   Romney is buying votes, but his money supply even including SuperPACs is probably less than Obama's own campaign without them.   

When you factor in the Democratic PACs to do moderate dirty work, there's an incredibly high chance that Obama won't have to go negative at all.  That alone will create the illusion that he is doing a good job.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 01:59:57 AM »

Honestly, I can't imagine how intrade still has the odds 60/40.

Obama has it in the bag, these guys are absolute clowns. Santorum? President Santorum?

C'mon, buck up, 2016 is probably yours.

The winds are blowing in Obama's direction to be sure, but this isn't a lock yet. We'll know if Obama has this in the bag in September.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 02:00:22 AM »

Willard Romney could be the next John Kerry and it's starting to look like that might just be the best thing they could hope for.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:21:57 PM »

Romney and Paul can win.  Coin flip.
Santorum has a very, very small chance.
Gingrich cannot.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 02:25:25 PM »

one in four or five and fallinggggggg... nominate Romney quick or it's doneski (either that or set off the Eurobomb)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 02:26:16 PM »

Willard Romney could be the next John Kerry and it's starting to look like that might just be the best thing they could hope for.

252/48.5% would be fantastic.  would have both houses of Congress in the bag.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 02:27:44 PM »

Independents hate all four, Republicans are unenthused about all four, and the volatile style of this campaign is destroying all four.   Romney is buying votes, but his money supply even including SuperPACs is probably less than Obama's own campaign without them.   

When you factor in the Democratic PACs to do moderate dirty work, there's an incredibly high chance that Obama won't have to go negative at all.  That alone will create the illusion that he is doing a good job.

Ahem: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2012/01/09/cbs-poll-independents-prefer-ron-paul-vs-obama/
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 02:41:37 PM »

Romney's a terrible campaigner who's probably the most awkward communicator since Nixon, Gingrich is Newt Gingrich, and Paul is an unelectable joke. Santorum's probably the best of a bad bunch, but he's still not exactly a great candidate.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 02:55:55 PM »

Ahem: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2012/01/09/cbs-poll-independents-prefer-ron-paul-vs-obama/

You think they still will once they find out that Paul wants to go back to the gold standard, wants to repeal the Civil Rights Act, signed off on racist newsletters, and wants to end Medicare and Social Security (the last two being the real killer: he could probably get away with the race-based stuff and most people probably don't even know what the gold standard is, but Social Security is called the Third Rail of American politics for a reason).
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »

You think they still will once they find out that Paul wants to go back to the gold standard, wants to repeal the Civil Rights Act, signed off on racist newsletters, and wants to end Medicare and Social Security (the last two being the real killer: he could probably get away with the race-based stuff and most people probably don't even know what the gold standard is, but Social Security is called the Third Rail of American politics for a reason).

^ This post should be automatically quoted every time someone brings up Paul's supposed electability. Palin would probably do better than Paul.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 03:07:11 PM »

Third rail? More like third Ponzi scheme.  If Gen X and Gen Yers actually got out and vote - it would be a close race.  Does anyone under 40 years of age really think they'll get anything out of Social Security other than throwing their money down a hole?

The racist crap is all just grasping at straws to try to fault Paul in some way.  One newsletter, and whatever Anonymous supposedly found.  I guess that could kill his campaign just as stupidly as the Howard Dean scream killed his campaign.

Ron Paul's actually backing off a little on the gold standard thing - said in his Golden Valley, MN speech "We don't have to go back to the old gold standard, but we need something of value" which is still on-message but shows he's open to ideas.  Which a lot of people don't seem to believe about him either.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 03:09:46 PM »

^ This post should be automatically quoted every time someone brings up Paul's supposed electability. Palin would probably do better than Paul.

Speaking of unelectable, who is going to vote for Gingrich?  He totally screwed everyone over after his "Contract with America" debacle.  I'd bet $100 that would go 75/25 Obama landslide at least.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »

Your opinion of Social Security is irrelevant. Americans like Social Security. A candidate who wants to end the two only massively popular welfare programs in the country is unelectable. Period.

The racist crap is all just grasping at straws to try to fault Paul in some way.  One newsletter, and whatever Anonymous supposedly found.  I guess that could kill his campaign just as stupidly as the Howard Dean scream killed his campaign.

You don't think someone bears any moral responsibility for the disgusting racist content of newsletters that he

A) Personally signed off on

and

B) Published under his masthead?

As for the stuff Anonymous uncovered (thanks guys, this has to be the first time ever that Paul was actually hurt by the internet Wink), it's hardly surprising that Paul met with Nick Griffin (...) and members of the Klan. Why not? He was already due to meet with Marine LePen until the media caught wind of it and he cancelled.

He was going to meet with one fascist, why not others?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I assume the gold-fetishising Paultard masses will abandon Paul and find a new, uh, golden calf to rally around.

Speaking of unelectable, who is going to vote for Gingrich?  He totally screwed everyone over after his "Contract with America" debacle.  I'd bet $100 that would go 75/25 Obama landslide at least.

No-one's going to vote for Gingrich. Obama would probably get in the high 50s. But Paul would struggle to win more than a handful of states.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 03:17:43 PM »

Romney will be lucky if he gets John Kerry numbers. He's been an embarassment for the GOP this election. If the Euro collapses then the GOP will have a chance. Otherwise, they'll be waiting for 2016 when Christie, Ryan, and Thune have a shot.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 03:39:41 PM »

Europe is the only thing that can give the GOP some sort of hope.
hotpprs
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: 3.83

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 04:05:28 PM »

I voted in the poll that I think only one has a chance, but I have to qualify that.
I think if the economy stays the way it is, pretty bad, but not a depression, that Romney, Gingrich, or Paul would probably not beat Obama.
But if the economy gets worse, or there is some other huge crisis that people don't think Obama handles correctly, I think Romney has a slight chance.
But I think Santorum is the only one that has the correct combination of qualities that appeal to conservatives and independents, without the personality baggage of Romney or Gingrich, or libertarian policies of Ron Paul that this country is just not ready for at this point in time.
Gingrich is the one that really baffles me. Doesn't everyone who is over 35 years old or so, remember that Gingrich was the shadowy figure in the back of so many Democratic negative ads at all levels of Government? He was like GOP kryptonite!!
How can he possibly win a general election? That's why it baffles me that he has received so much support from prominent GOP personalities. I couldn't believe he was actually running, and my first thought was, he is gonna screw up this golden opportunity for the GOP.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 04:12:36 PM »

Romney has a shot, but he's currently on track to lose.  He needs a game-changing event.

I don't think Santorum would win, but I wouldn't completely rule it out.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2012, 04:28:10 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

Third rail? More like third Ponzi scheme.  If Gen X and Gen Yers actually got out and vote - it would be a close race.  Does anyone under 40 years of age really think they'll get anything out of Social Security other than throwing their money down a hole?

Too bad that Olds are the ones who actually vote. And anyway, I have no doubt that Obama would beat Paul among Gen Y: Paul would do a bit better than a typical Republican, but not enough to win.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 06:31:16 PM »

Who knows? I have no idea what Iran will be like, how Obama would respond (he may have to go against his scruples if a situation arises in Iran to win re-election, and I think he would), what Europe will be like (it's looked like the bottom's gonna fall out for a while, it's like a ticking timebomb), and what the jobs numbers would be like (I have no idea how this'll go). We also have no idea how they would respond to wall to wall coverage. Gingrich and Romney would be disasters, Paul's not going up, Santorum is able to respond to the coverage but would have to change his attitude towards interviewers.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies