OK has anyone noticed Romney's tendency to be so bad at winning elections? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:19:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  OK has anyone noticed Romney's tendency to be so bad at winning elections? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OK has anyone noticed Romney's tendency to be so bad at winning elections?  (Read 4514 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:29:12 AM »

I know the thread title seems kind of obvious but think about it. The guy constantly loses elections he's supposed to win easily. Let's look back to 2008:

IA: Dominated polls all campaign season, looked to be winning in a walk, was done-in by a last minute surge by an unfunded nobody in the last month.
NH: Appeared to be even more in the bag until McCain's moribund campaign came back after Christmas to beat him by a not insignificant margin. That's a several month lead undone in about a week and a half.
FL: He didn't dominate here, but he was way outspending anyone else and the polling was a complete tie, lost by six points to McCain who did basically come out of nowhere.
CA: Wrestled with McCain quite a bit but had a last minute surge making the race also a total tossup, lost by almost double digits.

Now this year:

IA: Never really was expected to win it, but the fact that he was only able to essentially tie a once again out of nowhere also-ran with no money is quite embarrassing.
SC: Had a solid lead, collapsed at the last minute for pretty much no reason.
MN: No one really expected him to win but third place and not winning a single county...and he did win here last time.
CO: His second best state last time with the whole establishment backing him...he still loses.
MO: Doesn't mean anything, but remember how Politico was talking about how his "big" win here would give more momentum? Collapsed terribly for basically no reason.

I mean just one or two cases and you can make excuses but there's a huge pattern here. And as someone who expects the guy to still pull it off limping to the nomination you got to wonder what that bears in the general.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 02:01:26 AM »

Honestly I'd be willing to consider a bet on him losing Virginia to Paul at this point. It wouldn't be any less embarrassing than many of his previous defeats.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »

Well really unlike those cases Missouri didn't matter, there were no delegates. Not really comparable, more like Florida and Michigan that didn't matter then. However the flip flop of Politico was quite amusing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 01:54:40 AM »

Honestly I'd be willing to consider a bet on him losing Virginia to Paul at this point. It wouldn't be any less embarrassing than many of his previous defeats.

you really shouldn't bet then bro.

Romney is like an NFL team that goes 9-7 but was good the previous year and has a solid run game and a good defense and a borderline Hall-of-Fame head coach, so you expect them to perform when the chips or down, or something.  he transcends his 1-2 career record.

I'd said I'd be willing to consider a bet, not take any one. If Paul was trading at like 15% to win Virginia on InTrade (I haven't checked the actual numbers) I would definitely be willing to buy that. If it was like 20s or 30s, probably not.

The way he was crushed in Missouri is arguably a bigger upset than Virginia to Paul would be, even if the former was meaningless.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies