Issue you disagree with the other party on the most
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:31:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Issue you disagree with the other party on the most
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Issue you disagree with the other party on the most  (Read 125776 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2005, 08:31:40 PM »

Illegal immigration!

The Republican officials are opposed to stopping illegal immigration, or to be more precise, legalizing illegal immigration.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2005, 08:48:21 PM »

What Republican that you know doesn't think there should be any kind of enviornmental intervention?

Plenty.

However, many believe there should be very lax restrictions.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2005, 08:52:36 PM »

Name some politicians.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2005, 09:04:59 PM »

There are plenty of people who insist that there is nothing wrong with the environment. No politicians would probably admit to this belief, but some may have; I really do not know of any offhand.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2005, 09:08:03 PM »

I see nothing wrong with the environment. Quit legislating morality. Wink
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2005, 09:12:07 PM »

I see nothing wrong with the environment. Quit legislating morality. Wink

You see nothing wrong with the environment yet you just claimed that no Republicans you know have that review. Interesting.

How is the environmental a moral position?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2005, 09:13:58 PM »

That went way over your head.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2005, 09:49:30 PM »

I disagree with the premise, effectively put forth by the Democrats, that society should hold "minorities" to a lower standard of behavior than white people, and that those who don't subscribe to this theory are racist.  I think the reverse is true.

I also disagree, as J.J. said, that every problem can be solved by writing a check.

One of the greatest dangers of our age is the use of unelected judges, some of whom are little more than black-robed dictators, to establish a tyranny of the minority (opinion, not ethnic).

While our constitution establishes certain absolute rights that are not subordinate to the will of the majority, contemporary courts have gone too far in delineating those protections, in my opinion, and it is hurting the vast majority of people in society.  The Democrats have encouraged this trend in my opinion, and it is one of the reasons that I can't bring myself to support the Democrats in anything but local elections.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2005, 10:10:33 PM »

Senator Inhofe says global warming doesn't exist.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2005, 10:12:01 PM »

I disagree with the premise, effectively put forth by the Democrats, that society should hold "minorities" to a lower standard of behavior than white people, and that those who don't subscribe to this theory are racist.  I think the reverse is true.

I also disagree, as J.J. said, that every problem can be solved by writing a check.

One of the greatest dangers of our age is the use of unelected judges, some of whom are little more than black-robed dictators, to establish a tyranny of the minority (opinion, not ethnic).

While our constitution establishes certain absolute rights that are not subordinate to the will of the majority, contemporary courts have gone too far in delineating those protections, in my opinion, and it is hurting the vast majority of people in society.  The Democrats have encouraged this trend in my opinion, and it is one of the reasons that I can't bring myself to support the Democrats in anything but local elections.

If a poor black was caught doing the things Bush has been caught doing, he'd be completely screwed. There is a double-standard, the more powerful you are, the more you can get away with. Who voted for this inside tradiing drunk driving moron, anyways?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2005, 10:13:55 PM »

I said someone who doesn't think there needs to be any environmental regulation.

I believe Inhofe thinks global warming is not the result of an enviornmental problem. That's completely reasonable.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2005, 10:14:59 PM »

I said someone who doesn't think there needs to be any environmental regulation.

I believe Inhofe thinks global warming is not the result of an enviornmental problem. That's completely reasonable.

Humans cause greenhouse gases which cause global warming. It's really pretty simple.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2005, 10:16:31 PM »

It's very simple to say. Now try proving it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2005, 10:17:45 PM »

It's very simple to say. Now try proving it.

We release greenhouse gases.
The amount of greenhouse gases is going up.
Greenhouse gases are shown in lab tests to raise temperatures.
Temperatures are going up.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2005, 10:19:03 PM »

Yeah, this has happened before in the earth's history. Ever heard of the term "ice age?"
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2005, 10:23:11 PM »

Yeah, this has happened before in the earth's history. Ever heard of the term "ice age?"

Are you saying that global warming is ok?
It has a lot of economic downsides.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2005, 10:27:23 PM »

If a poor black was caught doing the things Bush has been caught doing, he'd be completely screwed. There is a double-standard, the more powerful you are, the more you can get away with. Who voted for this inside tradiing drunk driving moron, anyways?

Your issue is with wealth, not race.  Look at O.J.  Or are you one of those who thinks he'll find Nicole's "real" killer on some golf course?

Then of course there's Ted Kennedy, another shining example of using money to buy your way out of trouble.

I don't believe that the poor are punished too severely by our justice system.  If that were true, poor neighborhoods would be oases of safety and tranquility.  I do believe that it is too easy to use money to buy your way out of trouble.  There are so many opportunities with money to manipulate the legal system in your favor.  It's wrong, but it's not a party issue.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2005, 10:36:05 PM »

Your issue is with wealth, not race.  Look at O.J.  Or are you one of those who thinks he'll find Nicole's "real" killer on some golf course?

Then of course there's Ted Kennedy, another shining example of using money to buy your way out of trouble.

I don't believe that the poor are punished too severely by our justice system.  If that were true, poor neighborhoods would be oases of safety and tranquility.  I do believe that it is too easy to use money to buy your way out of trouble.  There are so many opportunities with money to manipulate the legal system in your favor.  It's wrong, but it's not a party issue.

Obviously OJ got off because of his expensive lawyers. Sending non-violent drug users to jail doesn't help anyone with anything. We need rehabiliation for all but the worst criminals.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2005, 10:36:52 PM »

It would make a lot more sense to just legalize drugs and let people live their own lives.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2005, 10:57:18 PM »

Obviously OJ got off because of his expensive lawyers. Sending non-violent drug users to jail doesn't help anyone with anything. We need rehabiliation for all but the worst criminals.

In order to rehabilitate people, they have to want to be rehabilitated.  And it usually takes punishment to get them to the point where they want to be rehabilitated.  That's the reality.  I wish rehabilitation alone were the answer, but it isn't.  It also takes punishment.

And so-called non-violent drug users are responsible for a great deal of property crime like burglaries, in order to get money to support their habits.  Putting them away reduces other crime.  In my town, burglaries are way down over the last ten years due to a stiffening of prison terms for non-violent criminals at the state level.  Many high-crime areas have enjoyed a similar drop in crime since penalties were stiffened for property and drug crimes.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2005, 11:00:09 PM »

The environment
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2005, 11:01:27 PM »

Trickle Down Economics makes almost no sense to me.

Enviromental Policy of alot of Republicans disappoints me.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2005, 12:05:39 AM »

In order of importance from least to most:

The obnoxious attitude that the government and everybody (else) owes them a living. This is best exemplified by the innumerable labor-, teacher-, government-sector unions, the AARP, etc.

The sense of absolute entitlement to government office ("We wuz robbed!", "Florida!", "Ohio!", "Gregoire!")

Using the judiciary to implement perverse social changes (Abington School District vs. Schempp, 1963)

The paranoid hatred of the big business in particular and their suspicion towards the free market economic system in general, the greatest engine of general prosperity ever devised by man.

The diffident and irresponsible attitude towards national security, as though the United States is morally unworthy to wage wars or maintain a first-class military

dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2005, 12:08:53 AM »

The obnoxious attitude that the government and everybody (else) owes them a living. This is best exemplified by the innumerable labor-, teacher-, government-sector unions, the AARP, etc.

The sense of absolute entitlement to government office ("We wuz robbed!", "Florida!", "Ohio!", "Gregoire!")

Using the judiciary to implement perverse social changes (Abington School District vs. Schempp, 1963)

The paranoid hatred of the big business in particular and their suspicion towards the free market economic system in general, the greatest engine of general prosperity ever devised by man.

The diffident and irresponsible attitude towards national security, as though the United States is morally unworthy to wage wars or maintain a first-class military

Dude, I could hardly have said it better myself.  Well done.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2005, 12:14:39 AM »

Dude, I could hardly have said it better myself.  Well done.

Thanks! 'Preciate it!

Maintaining intellectual (and emotional) honesty doesn't mean being degenerating to a hacking trollery...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies