Issue you disagree with the other party on the most
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:11:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Issue you disagree with the other party on the most
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Issue you disagree with the other party on the most  (Read 125778 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2005, 12:39:27 AM »

Social Issues

The Environment

Trickle Down Economics
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2005, 12:41:38 AM »

Can you be more specific?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2005, 12:50:02 AM »

Nice for you to completley change what I said, but I will be more specific nonetheless

Social Issues-  I disagree with the hard push toward the right on social issues, (Absitence Only education for one, states in which happen to be more open about safe sex discussions have among the lowest teen pregnancy rates, states which primarily promote absitence only programs have among the highest.

The whole gay rights issue.   While I don't expect everyone to agree with Gay Marriage the wholeconsitution thing is way over the top.

The way that if you don't agree with the hard religious right on many social issues your labeled as anti-Christian or your Christianity is questioned (Cheney questioned Leahey's religion basically because he was pro-choice.

Environmental issues.  the turn back the clock attitude Bush has exhibted toward the environment.  Various admission rules & regulations put forth by Clinton have been overturned.  Believing in various companies "good will" to follow environmental laws instead of enforcing them.

Trickle down Economics, just doesn't help the middle class and working class.  Didn't under Reagan and doesn't under Bush
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2005, 01:05:02 PM »

Using the judiciary to implement perverse social changes (Abington School District vs. Schempp, 1963)

Schempp was  wonderful decision - it is hard to believe that prior to that religious propaganda was being pushed by the public schools.  Talk about perverse, not to mention unconstitutional.  The scary part, as we re-enter the dark ages, is that we were only in the light about 40 years!
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2005, 01:21:03 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2005, 01:26:48 PM by Senator Bono »

well, a lot of them, but I say the thing I really hate the democratic party for is trying to ban guns.

EDIT:
And of course that horrible Northeastern elitism.
Cashcow

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2005, 04:54:27 PM »

Have you ever even been to the Northeast?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2005, 04:56:14 PM »

Migrendel, Shira. Enough said.
Cashcow

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2005, 04:59:29 PM »

Of course there are elitists, but it exists everywhere. I'm not even from the Northeast, it's just a stupid thing to say.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2005, 04:42:27 AM »

Of course there are elitists, but it exists everywhere. I'm not even from the Northeast, it's just a stupid thing to say.

But you agree that the northeast is the predominant place. Just look at John Kerry, with that horrible Patrician accent.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2005, 07:40:02 PM »

women's rights, gay rights, civil liberties, sex education

basically the 'moral majority' approach
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2005, 01:23:58 PM »

I lean Republican more than Democrat, but the Republicans have their faults too.

Democrats: The Radical Pro-abortion stance. It's not just the fact that many are Pro-Choice, but the fact that they want Tax Payer Funded Abortion, Partial Bith Abortion, and Abortion for Minors. They also want to stop Fetal Pan Laws, hide the Abortion - Breast Cancer link, and were opposed to the Lacy & Conner Peterson law because they saw it as a threat to the 'right' to an abortion. Fortuneately, as a result of this past election, many Democrats are realizing this. While I don't expect them to change their platform (as Roemer stated over the weekend) at least they are realizing the need to moderate their position on the issue.

Republicans: The catering to Big Business. I still considering myself an economic conservative, but the Republicans (and the Democrats to a smaller degree) give businesses all the breaks in the world. Corp. Welfare for one. Bush's Tax Plan, while it did help the middle class (if you are married and have children, which I don't) was designed to help the upper class and the middle class was included because Bush could not get re-elected without a good amount of them. Now the Social Security Plan. I like the fact of getting more control over my own money, but when I look closer into this, it is away to benefit Bush's large corporate buddies.

Since I live in a safe state, neither Bush nor Kerry got my vote in November.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2005, 01:42:33 PM »

Hm...I guess it's either environment or certain social issues, such as gay marriage. It would, ironically, be more clear cut the other way around - I disagree completely with the Democrats on vouchers and free trade.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2005, 02:40:05 PM »

Hm...I guess it's either environment or certain social issues, such as gay marriage. It would, ironically, be more clear cut the other way around - I disagree completely with the Democrats on vouchers and free trade.

You're a republican now?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2005, 12:03:06 AM »

He was just saying if he were a Republican.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2005, 05:23:19 PM »

The environment, gay rights and failure to see that true problems exist among the lower and middle classes.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2005, 06:02:04 PM »

Very simple:
Republicans - death penalty
Democrats - abortion

PRO-LIFE FOREVER!
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2005, 06:22:18 PM »

Very simple:
Democrats - abortion

PRO-LIFE FOREVER!

Seconded Wink
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2005, 08:43:52 PM »

Very simple:
Democrats - abortion

PRO-LIFE FOREVER!

Least you aren't a walking contradiction.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2005, 08:50:38 PM »

I'm so pro-life I support the death penalty for those who destroy it. How is that a contradiction?
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2005, 08:55:33 PM »

Sex Education and Radio and TV Regulations

I take it you're a fan of the FCC....

I just went back and Re-Read this Topic, I thought it said what do I Disagree with MY party on. I am NOT a fan of the FCC and I think not teaching kids about sex in school is very Dumb. As for the other party, Taxes and Abortion.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2005, 10:07:39 PM »

Sex Education and Radio and TV Regulations

I take it you're a fan of the FCC....

I just went back and Re-Read this Topic, I thought it said what do I Disagree with MY party on. I am NOT a fan of the FCC and I think not teaching kids about sex in school is very Dumb. As for the other party, Taxes and Abortion.

Ahhh, you're right. My bad.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2005, 10:10:04 PM »

Abortion, because there is so little rom for a middle, and because the Democratic Party has become so doctrinaire about it.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2005, 10:26:02 PM »

Gay Marriage.

Who is it exactly hurting?

As for Democrats, I disagree completely with their stupid school voucher position, vouchers will do nothing but help education.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2005, 12:29:25 AM »

GOP-

1. Zealous, even religious support of the established and powerful, not just a lack of compassion but an ideological anti-compassion. This is what I hate most about the GOP and makes me a Democrat.

2. Ties to race-based elements. For example, their support of the Confederate flag in government, their alliance with the xenophobic groups who are some of their more extreme (if not more vocal) supporters. This ties with "issue" #1 as most aversive characteristic of the right.

3. Generally bitter outlook on others and a constant mentality of confrontation that they thrive on. For so-called Christrians, they seem to be always looking for different groups to hate for not conforming to this or that. In foreign policy this means an us-or-them, zero-sum attitude against anything resembling a principle that peaceful, mutual success is an inherent positive and which is a long term recipie for strife.

Democrats-

1. Support of programs and attitudes that undercut individual responsibility. For example, the idea that its bad for parents to discipline their children, that families should not be protected, that children's self-esteem is more important than accurate assessment of reality, and a condescending lowering of expectations towards minorities and other disadvantaged.

2. Religious/spiritual vacuousness. Every party likes to feel morally superior, but the Democrats dont even try to believe in or pretend to promote anything other than an animalistic, relativist universe. No wonder they find it harder to inspire impassioned commitment than the GOP.

3. Knee-jerk anti-capitalism and anti-Americanism (btw, this is what separates the liberals from the Left). The bizzare self-loathing of the far left and their convulted, condescending and  nonsensical explanations for these tendencies continues to baffle me whenever I encounter them.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2005, 12:41:19 AM »

GOP-

1. Zealous, even religious support of the established and powerful, not just a lack of compassion but an ideological anti-compassion. This is what I hate most about the GOP and makes me a Democrat.

2. Ties to race-based elements. For example, their support of the Confederate flag in government, their alliance with the xenophobic groups who are some of their more extreme (if not more vocal) supporters. This ties with "issue" #1 as most aversive characteristic of the right.

3. Generally bitter outlook on others and a constant mentality of confrontation that they thrive on. For so-called Christrians, they seem to be always looking for different groups to hate for not conforming to this or that. In foreign policy this means an us-or-them, zero-sum attitude against anything resembling a principle that peaceful, mutual success is an inherent positive and which is a long term recipie for strife.

Democrats-

1. Support of programs and attitudes that undercut individual responsibility. For example, the idea that its bad for parents to discipline their children, that families should not be protected, that children's self-esteem is more important than accurate assessment of reality, and a condescending lowering of expectations towards minorities and other disadvantaged.

2. Religious/spiritual vacuousness. Every party likes to feel morally superior, but the Democrats dont even try to believe in or pretend to promote anything other than an animalistic, relativist universe. No wonder they find it harder to inspire impassioned commitment than the GOP.

3. Knee-jerk anti-capitalism and anti-Americanism (btw, this is what separates the liberals from the Left). The bizzare self-loathing of the far left and their convulted, condescending and  nonsensical explanations for these tendencies continues to baffle me whenever I encounter them.

Very well said.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies