McCarthy vs. Ackerman in NY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:54:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  McCarthy vs. Ackerman in NY
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCarthy vs. Ackerman in NY  (Read 581 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2012, 12:30:14 AM »

If the rumors are true, this will be the primary? What do you think happens?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 12:57:16 AM »

i've heard Ackerman is planning on retire. He's been in office for nearly thirty years so the choice is to get into an unnecessary primary battle against McCarthy or run in a district where he risks getting primaried by an Asian.
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 01:31:28 AM »

Ackerman is going to win due to the fact the new NY-4 will be a North Hempstead centric District. Most of North Hempstead is located in Ackerman district(NY-5). Ackerman has 30 year seniority, has support from AIPAC. McCarthy was a Republican before she was elected to Congess in 1996, she became a Democrat because of the gun control issue. The Gingrich Congress introduce legislation and the Republican who preceded McCarthy voted to repeal the assault weapons ban couple of years after the LIRR massacre. McCarthy could move to the NY-3 and run against King.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 12:25:54 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2012, 12:38:22 PM by ag »

I, actually, lived on LI around the time that McCarthy was forced into politics and I remember the story well. But I am not sure, how easy it would be to play off her ancient Republicanism. She was a fairly apolitical woman, cast into politics after the murder of her husband by a maniac on LIRR. You bring up her origins as a Dem, you also bring up the memory of that story, which would remind people why she was elected in the first place. She has been a consistent suburban Democrat ever since. Yes, she's been a few terms less in Congress than Ackerman (16 vs. 29 years), but it is not negligible seniority as it is. She may be only a couple of years younger, but women live longer: her life expectancy should be taken into account when thinking seniority.

The North Hempstead thing is more serious, though. But Ackerman is an NYC, Queens guy; McCarthy is the proper Long Islander. True, North Shore is North Shore, but is there any reason to believe Ackerman is a better overall fit there than McCarthy?  I would want to see the map first.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies