Should Ron Paul drop out?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:32:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Should Ron Paul drop out?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ??
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Should Ron Paul drop out?  (Read 4247 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »

At this point his campaign has proven to be a total failure and even kind of embarrassing. He clearly wants Mitt Romney to win for some reason and he should stop taking the donations of poor, deluded Paulites so that he can waste it on whatever his campaign has spent all their money on.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »

Why the hell do you want him to drop out so badly if it helps Romney? Sad
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2012, 07:56:00 PM by Politico »

He has more delegates than the fiscally counterfeit conservative (And just as many delegates as the Moon President if you take away South Carolina), so why would he do such a thing?

That said, we will appreciate his support and delegates after he endorses Romney. But he'll probably be the last of the three still standing when that happens.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 07:53:40 PM »

Yeah, probably. He's underperformed expectations consistently and is clearly fine with being the perpetual underdog. He should give up and endorse Romney, who he has an explicable crush on for no apparent reason.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 07:56:49 PM »

failed at what?  he's aggregating delegates, even ninjas.  let it play out.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 08:01:16 PM »

What's all this BS about Ron Paul loving Mitt?  Yeah right. It's clear people just don't get RP - if he's not in to win - he's in to spread the message of his campaign.  Same things he's been saying for decades.  3% is nothing here, and he's probably got Maine and Minnesota just in delegates.  

Will he win the nomination?  Probably not.  But, he can get push the agenda and spread the message and wait for the national convention.  Plus, I think you'd want to follow through with this - just to see how much support he will have there.  Drop out before then and we'll never know.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »

Paul  has no reason to drop out. He is getting free publicity for his message. And he is getting some delegates which conceivably could represent the balance of power. So he won't -  and shouldn't. His goal is not to stop Romney - unlike 75% if this forum. You will just have to accept that his loadstar is not yours. Smiley
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »

Honestly was anyone expecting him to do better than he has? The longer he stays in the more TV time he gets to deliver his message and maybe collect a few delegates that could make him a player if the nomination fight goes all the way to the convention. No reason at all to drop out.
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 08:15:33 PM »

What's all this BS about Ron Paul loving Mitt?  Yeah right. It's clear people just don't get RP - if he's not in to win - he's in to spread the message of his campaign.  Same things he's been saying for decades.  3% is nothing here, and he's probably got Maine and Minnesota just in delegates.  

Will he win the nomination?  Probably not.  But, he can get push the agenda and spread the message and wait for the national convention.  Plus, I think you'd want to follow through with this - just to see how much support he will have there.  Drop out before then and we'll never know.

The fact is that, while they have some big political disagreements, Mitt Romney and Ron Paul have had a good, amicable relationship ever since 2008, just like Ann Romney and Carol Paul. Plus, while Paul will never trust 100% on any of his rivals, he might see Romney as a better alternative to try to implement his monetary dreams than those he call "counterfeit conservatives"...
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 08:29:36 PM »

They're not going to let him pull any serious shenanigans with the delegates at the convention when he can't win a goddamn single state. Nobody is going to take him seriously.

He could have hit Romney in Maine like he hit Gingrich in Iowa but he didn't because he's weirdly infatuated with him and he wants Romney, rather than himself, to be the next President.

I'm sorry but he is just wasting everyone's time with this charade now. At least it seems like Santorum legitimately wants to be the Republican nominee and thinks he might have a shot at it.

Paul's latest failure has really pissed me off and I'm not even a legitimate supporter of his or anything.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 08:31:28 PM »

They're not going to let him pull any serious shenanigans with the delegates at the convention when he can't win a goddamn single state. Nobody is going to take him seriously.

He could have hit Romney in Maine like he hit Gingrich in Iowa but he didn't because he's weirdly infatuated with him and he wants Romney, rather than himself, to be the next President.

I'm sorry but he is just wasting everyone's time with this charade now. At least it seems like Santorum legitimately wants to be the Republican nominee and thinks he might have a shot at it.

Paul's latest failure has really pissed me off and I'm not even a legitimate supporter of his or anything.

Blah blah blah blah.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 08:33:04 PM »

Hell no.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 08:33:09 PM »

He's actually done markedly better than I would have predicted a year ago.  I always thought he had a real but somewhat remote chance of winning even a single state.  It's just that once he broke 20% in both Iowa and NH, people's expectations got out of control, so now his subsequent showings look underwhelming.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 08:33:40 PM »

Blah blah blah blah.

Umm, care to address any of my points or are you just here to act like a child? Why the hell won't Ron Paul ever attack Mitt Romney?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 08:34:46 PM »

Blah blah blah blah.

Umm, care to address any of my points or are just here to act like a child? Why the hell won't Ron Paul ever attack Mitt Romney?

Ignore him. He clearly hasn't noticed that this place isn't the Ron Paul Forum.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 08:36:46 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2012, 08:38:40 PM by Politico »

Blah blah blah blah.

Umm, care to address any of my points or are you just here to act like a child? Why the hell won't Ron Paul ever attack Mitt Romney?

Because Paul appreciates Romney's support of free markets and smaller/decentralized government. Paul knows that Santorum and Gingrich are all about Big Government. Romney's balanced temperament when discussing his conservative positions on social issues is also something Paul appreciates, I am sure.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 08:40:09 PM »

Blah blah blah blah.

Because Paul appreciates Romney's support of free markets and smaller/decentralized government. Paul knows that Santorum and Gingrich are all about Big Government. Romney's balanced temperament when discussing his conservative positions on social issues is also something Paul appreciates, I am sure.

There are hardly any differences between Romney, Gingrich and Santorum on the issues.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »

Blah blah blah blah.

Hit Romney with what? An ad like this one? http://youtu.be/jSVi45vfA6o

Besides, Romney's never been named one of the most corrupt politicians like Newt and Frothy have.  Maybe he realizes that he won't get enough delegates from primary states and if he throws his supporters behind Romney, trade that for the VP position.  That would secure their position from a wide-base of followers.  
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 08:46:01 PM »

Absolutely not.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 10:36:42 PM »

No.

He's running to push his ideology and set his son up for 2016 or 2020. So the last thing he wants to do is drop out in early February.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 01:26:04 AM »

Because he lost a state? He never had a chance at a single state last time and stayed in till the end. He's not running to win, as he can't so he has no reason to drop out.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 02:19:52 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2012, 02:22:57 AM by the brute choir »

^^^
Yes, obviously. I'm not exactly sure what his bizarre strategy of deliberately avoiding multiple states is intended to accomplish. If his goal is to "help" lay the ground work for Rand in 4 years I'm not sure how that does anything other than alienate people. But whatever, I'm done.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 11:33:11 AM »

I suppose nobody watched Rachel Maddow on Friday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x28_I9oIVg
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 11:57:53 AM »

Glad that I caught Paul's Fozzie Bear chuckle (and Rachel's imitation).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 01:43:21 PM »

Don't you need to win five states to be allowed to seat your delegates at the national convention? I remember reading something like that.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies