Is Rick Santorum really the final final final anti-Romney?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:33:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Is Rick Santorum really the final final final anti-Romney?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Is Rick Santorum really the final final final anti-Romney?  (Read 2269 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »

I'd say "no".

I'm expecting another Santorum collapse sometime around Super Tuesday, followed by a Gingrich surge.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 11:37:04 AM »

I think they've hitched their wagon.  I could be wrong, but barring some stupidity from Santorum (very possible), the anti-Romney brigades will ride The ConservativeTM to the convention.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »

Another Gingrich rise remains possible.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »

I may be wrong, but I think the whole "moon base" thing sunk Gingrich once and for all. I do not foresee Paul becoming an anti-Romney. Therefore, Santorum is the last anti-Romney standing.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:07:25 PM »

I may be wrong, but I think the whole "moon base" thing sunk Gingrich once and for all. I do not foresee Paul becoming an anti-Romney. Therefore, Santorum is the last anti-Romney standing.

No, it was Gingrich's terrible debate performances and Romney's money in the week prior to Florida that killed Newt.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 12:11:31 PM »

No, it was Gingrich's terrible debate performances and Romney's money in the week prior to Florida that killed Newt.

In Florida? Sure, but Newt has become a national punch-line over the "moon base" pandering he did in Cape Canaveral.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 12:15:17 PM »

I think the moon base thingy just guaranteed Newt would not rise again, but what killed him was his past, his debate performances, and Romney's money.

Santorum is the last anti-Romney, unless it goes to the convention...then the real anti-Romney will be unvieled.  

But a large chunk of the GOP base has given up on the field, which is why turnout is low.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »

I agree with this, more or less.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »

Yes, he is. End of the story.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 02:38:26 PM »

Yes

There has been a large group of GOP voters that have moved from one flavor to another flavor. But there are no potential flavors left and I agree Newt is done.

This leaves Mitt with a problem. In the past conservatives who soured on one candidate had another one to flock to. Now they dont. Romney is not going to convince them to vote for him, so his goal now has to be to keep them from going to the polls entirely. The only way to do that is to go negative in a big way and destroy Santorum like he did with Gingrich. The problem with that is that it will drive up Romney's own negatives in the process. At this point his SuperPAC is now considered part of his campaign and even without the "I'm Mitt Romney..." sign-off, people know he is responsible for the negative ads.  

In other words, Romney has to destroy himself to win. And there is a chance of a backlash
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 04:26:22 PM »

How is Santorum's fundraising going? Will he have the resources to compete with Romney in Michigan or will he be swamped?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »

I'm getting that kind of vibe, for the first time ever. But I wouldn't stick a fork in it yet.
The Professor
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »

Jmfct is correct. Santorum is the fake anti-Romney. The true anti-Romney will indeed be revealed at the convention.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 07:51:35 PM »

Jmfct is correct. Santorum is the fake anti-Romney. The true anti-Romney will indeed be revealed at the convention.

you know dude if you post more than a few times a week you start to risk a serious inflationary problem re: your reputation.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 08:00:27 PM »

Yeah, this.  I am basically waiting for Gingrich to drop out at this point, which will probably be after losing Georgia to either Santorum or Romney.  And in all likelihood he will endorse Santorum and throw all his support and resources behind his candidacy. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies