Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 11:00:59 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Republican "next-in-line" mentality
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Republican "next-in-line" mentality  (Read 660 times)
Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:14:28 am »
Ignore

1980: Ronald Reagan, who was a runner-up in 1976, wins the nomination
1988: George H. W. Bush, who was a runner-up in 1980, wins the nomination (granted, he was incumbent Vice President, but still)
1996: Bob Dole, who was a runner-up in 1988, wins the nomination
2008: John McCain, who was a runner-up in 2000, wins the nomination

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:15:17 am »
Ignore

this is well documented, the question becomes a bit murky in 2016 if it's an open contest.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:15:59 am »
Ignore

Well Romney likely won't run again if he loses the nomination (or in the general, for that matter) but I could see Santorum running again. No way Ron Paul or Gingrich runs again...so maybe this year will be an exception.

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:17:21 am »
Ignore

still I don't think anyone is going to see Santorum as a metaphorical next-in-line/heir apparent.  his success this year is at best an accident of circumstance.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 09:19:47 am »
Ignore

still I don't think anyone is going to see Santorum as a metaphorical next-in-line/heir apparent.  his success this year is at best an accident of circumstance.

Yep, this. If he does run again, he'll hover around the low single digits and drop out early.

Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 10:35:46 am »
Ignore

In 2000, Pat Buchanan was the 'next-in-line', but still didn't get the nomination.

I think it's pretty much a given Santorum comes in second to Romney, but does that entail being next-in-line? I'm not so sure; Santorum is a rather weak candidate. But it's certainly possible.
The Kingfish
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 10:37:19 am »
Ignore

In 2000, Pat Buchanan was the 'next-in-line', but still didn't get the nomination.

I guess that not enough people wrote him in.

realisticidealist
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: 2.78

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 02:52:10 pm »
Ignore

I think Romney's VP selection may have more of a chance at being next-in-line than Santorum, honestly.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."
Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 03:08:27 pm »
Ignore

First of all, he didn't run. Second of all, he was an insurgent in 1996, and I'm not talking about mere "insurgent campaign against the frontrunner" Dole waged in 1988 or McCain in 2000.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 03:12:45 pm »
Ignore

I think Romney's VP selection may have more of a chance at being next-in-line than Santorum, honestly.

I've assumed that Romney's VP will be the heir(ess) apparent since December, especially since he's bound to go low-risk and pick someone who is both an establishment figure and at least somewhat well-known nationally.

What I find interesting is that Santorum is looking like a more and more plausible VP pick for Romney. If that happens, I don't think that can we safely count him out in 2016.

ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 03:14:59 pm »
Ignore

First of all, he didn't run. Second of all, he was an insurgent in 1996, and I'm not talking about mere "insurgent campaign against the frontrunner" Dole waged in 1988 or McCain in 2000.
If I am not mistaken, he started as a Republican and joined the Reform Party later on.

America's like that hot chick everyone wants, and illegal immigrants are all the nerds that she should say "no" to.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 03:16:09 pm »
Ignore

Either way, it doesn't hold up for 2012 because Huckabee, the 2008 runner up, stayed out of the race.

It is very advisable to examine and dissect the men of science for once, since they for their part are quite accustomed to laying bold hands on everything in the world, even the most venerable things, and taking them to pieces.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Is Totally Not Feeblepizza.
Crackers
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 03:17:02 pm »
Ignore

The "next guy in line" for 2016 will be Santorum, or Mittens's VP choice.

lawlz
bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 03:18:06 pm »
Ignore

Either way, it doesn't hold up for 2012 because Huckabee, the 2008 runner up, stayed out of the race.

Romney just dropped out earlier... And even then, he still got more caucus votes, more primary votes, more states...

Especially if his running mate is someone like Rubio.

Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 03:54:54 pm »
Ignore

Huckabee was not "the" runner up, he was "a" runner up. Romney came in second in both caucus and primary votes to John McCain. Romney came in third in delegates because a rule in the MI bylaws requires that it's delegates must be alligned with someone currently in the race, so when Mitten's dropped out the MI delegation immediately swung to McCain. If you include the MI delegation with Romney, I think he was either tied or ahead of Huck in delegates as well. When Romney dropped out, he had many more delegates then Huck. He lost the MI delegates instantly and Huck won KS, and some other states that I can't remember, in February.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout