Do you have Asperger's Syndrome?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:02:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you have Asperger's Syndrome?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ....
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 94

Author Topic: Do you have Asperger's Syndrome?  (Read 6402 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 08:31:07 AM »

I am tempted to agree with what Snowguy and, to a lesser extent, Gully Foyle posted. Selfdiagnosed Asperger must be among the worst things the internet has too much of. And I'm quietly convinced mental disorders are severely overdiagnosed even in clinical environments, anyway.

I would never say (and I know this from experience) that there aren't people who really have serious emotional and interpersonal problems (and sometimes other problems) who have been diagnosed with "aspergers". Simultaneously, it is obvious that there are many people who been diagnosed with "aspergers" whose only problem is that they are a bit individualistic or are not very sociable or whatever human-problem-of-the-month there happens to be at the end.

That's the problem - it is a "condition" without any real content.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 10:09:27 AM »

I don't see why anyone would want to have Asperger's. I don't feel like I'm a better person for having it, and while I'm not sad about it, some aspects of my social life really depress me (and no, it's not like being "the usual awkward guy").
I'm not going to challenge your doctor in the diagnosis... but the fact that you are depressed about the asocial aspect of Aspergers is a good indicator that you either have a relatively mild case or you have been misdiagnosed and instead have a different social disorder.

You might have a social anxiety disorder where you seek relationships with others but find it almost impossible to do so due to the anxiety such situations cause you... which can cause real physical problems (like panic attacks).

I think one of the underlying factors in Aspergers and autism in general is that they are asocial.. or in more specific terms, they avoid "society" or social situations but doing so doesn't necessarily cause them stress because they don't have the capability to appreciate social interaction and instead focus intensely on their niche interest (which almost invariably does not involve other people).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 11:02:40 AM »

All the debates in this thread are explaining why I have trouble to consider psychology as a serious science.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 01:15:11 PM »

Just because you're socially awkward/anxious/introverted doesn't mean you are on the autistic spectrum (which Aspergers is basically a variation/form of).

What is the standard that is being used for comparison, anyway? What does a "normal" person act like? Like BRTD said, "normal" people tend to be boring.

Maybe what's happened is that for some reason, the younger generation (which I'm a part of, FWIW) has not been taught social skills en masse. Considering the way many politicians and "celebrities" act, it's not limited to the younger generation, either.

Get rid of the label and do something to improve yourself. Don't look for pity from someone else or even yourself. People have always struggled with challenges, both mental and physical. It's a part of everyday life.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »

Well if I did it would certainly explain my interest in congressional maps and my mediocre B-student performance in high school.  Tongue

But seriously, I highly doubt I have it.  Like PR said, displaying only a single symptom or so doesn't mean much.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 02:47:46 PM »

I don't see why anyone would want to have Asperger's. I don't feel like I'm a better person for having it, and while I'm not sad about it, some aspects of my social life really depress me (and no, it's not like being "the usual awkward guy").
I'm not going to challenge your doctor in the diagnosis... but the fact that you are depressed about the asocial aspect of Aspergers is a good indicator that you either have a relatively mild case or you have been misdiagnosed and instead have a different social disorder.

You might have a social anxiety disorder where you seek relationships with others but find it almost impossible to do so due to the anxiety such situations cause you... which can cause real physical problems (like panic attacks).

I think one of the underlying factors in Aspergers and autism in general is that they are asocial.. or in more specific terms, they avoid "society" or social situations but doing so doesn't necessarily cause them stress because they don't have the capability to appreciate social interaction and instead focus intensely on their niche interest (which almost invariably does not involve other people).

It was diagnosed by a very respected neurologist in 2008, and I've been followed by an orthophonist since then. I don't particularly hold on being labeled an Asperger, but I don't see a particular reason to challenge the entire medical system. Also, I think French doctors are far less prone to overdiagnose stuffs like autism, I've actually heard they tend to underdiagnose them, because they think it would be too big a shock for a boy to be called an autist.

And yes, I think I'd like to have as much social relationships as other people ; but my inability to do so isn't only due to social anxiety. It's hard to explain, but believe me : you know when you just don't "fit" in a group. When you are among people, do your best to act like them and just don't mange to. When you don't enjoy what other people enjoy. I've managed to deal with it, I'm in peace with myself, but of course it's frustrating sometimes. It's not something I can easily explain in an internet forum, neither something I particularly want to talk about. I'd just like you not to think that I'm some teen who thinks having Asperger is cool and makes him feel important.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »

All the debates in this thread are explaining why I have trouble to consider psychology as a serious science.

The fact that you think all psychology is clinical psychology makes me cry all the tears Cry
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 09:51:36 PM »

I don't though I was rather socially awkward and am shy  but my best friend (and at times girlfriend) was diagnosed right after we graduated from high school.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012, 10:42:13 PM »

This would appear to be a clear example of the Forer effect.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »

This would appear to be a clear example of the Forer effect.

No it's not. My story is actually true.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »

... Yes, but your story is that you don't have Aspergers.  So why are you refuting Xahar's point?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2012, 05:00:00 AM »

It was diagnosed by a very respected neurologist in 2008, and I've been followed by an orthophonist since then. I don't particularly hold on being labeled an Asperger, but I don't see a particular reason to challenge the entire medical system. Also, I think French doctors are far less prone to overdiagnose stuffs like autism, I've actually heard they tend to underdiagnose them, because they think it would be too big a shock for a boy to be called an autist.

And yes, I think I'd like to have as much social relationships as other people ; but my inability to do so isn't only due to social anxiety. It's hard to explain, but believe me : you know when you just don't "fit" in a group. When you are among people, do your best to act like them and just don't mange to. When you don't enjoy what other people enjoy. I've managed to deal with it, I'm in peace with myself, but of course it's frustrating sometimes. It's not something I can easily explain in an internet forum, neither something I particularly want to talk about. I'd just like you not to think that I'm some teen who thinks having Asperger is cool and makes him feel important.

You're still quite young though, right? Because it gets better. Really, it does.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2012, 06:16:13 AM »

You're still quite young though, right? Because it gets better. Really, it does.

It's already way better now than when I was 12-13, for several reasons : having been diagnosed and being followed by professionals able to help me, doing more efforts myself, but also being surrounded by smarter people. So yeah, I'm reasonably hopeful, even though certain things will never change.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »

The definition of it is way too vague. I don't have it as I don't have extreme anti-social behaviour nor do I carry extremely narrow niche interests. I am "physically clumsy" and if I had/have a speech impediment, it's because of something real called stuttering.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2012, 01:44:22 PM »

No, nor am I convinced that such a thing even exists.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »

What is the standard that is being used for comparison, anyway? What does a "normal" person act like? Like BRTD said, "normal" people tend to be boring.
A normal person is a person who displays none of the traits that people who talk to psychologists display (none of the traits that people actively seek such help for AND none of the traits that psychologists tell them they have and are problematic).
The theoretical picture the literature paints of them looks like a very strange creature indeed, and no specimen of it has ever been observed irl.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2012, 05:26:36 PM »

I do not know if it is listed as a diagnosis anymore but I did receive the label. Depression and a severe social phobia have ganged up with it for roughly eight years to the effect that I am preoccupied with getting by on a day-to-day basis instead of pursuing a career in higher education, accepting offerings of posts in local political organizations, or contributing anything of value to my community. It is all getting sorted out bit by bit but I am quite deeply dissatisfied with my quality of life despite being bright, much more charismatic than in past years, and coming from a privileged, upper-middle class background. Tongue
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »

The fact that you think all psychology is clinical psychology makes me cry all the tears Cry

There is non-clinical psychology?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 12:27:18 AM »

There is non-clinical psychology?

Er, yes (including many I care less about), and some of the programs I've applied to would like to have a word with you about their supposed non-existence Wink (That doesn't even count the neuroscience programs that I've applied to.)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2012, 10:42:16 AM »

Reflecting on this thread again....I would like to revise my previous comments about Asperger's syndrome.

It may not, in fact, be over diagnosed. There are a lot of adults out there who very likely have some form of it, but they have learned to hide it or cope with it and have just chalked it up to awkwardness/anxiety in social situations. Also, the awareness of the disorder and milder forms of it have increased dramatically in recent years.

It should also be noted that there is no such thing as a "normal" personality. Rather, there is a normal range of distribution of people who more or less know social norms and conventions. Asperger's people are people who struggle with social interaction and often don't naturally acquire many of the nuances of the language of interpersonal communication; they need to be taught those in a more explicit way, and then practice them.

The difference between Asperger's and autism is that Asperger's people do not have cognitive or verbal language functions impaired usually. Rather, the deficit is in non-verbal communication and in recognizing emotional states in themselves and in others. People with Asperger's, as you know, often are brilliantly intelligent in a lot of ways-but the deficits in social and emotional communication make life hard in other ways.

My point is this: there is no way that everybody in any given society is going to be socialized comfortably to the same extent. The question is, how do we as a society deal with that fact? What are we looking for, in society anyway?

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2012, 11:27:03 AM »

Ehhhhh...this. My brother just got into the Psychotherapy school here..so I know some things.  Asperger's Syndrome won't be considered an actual diagnosis as of next year. Basically, I heard that they are dividing people up in this group from basically people who are basically verbal autists (handflapping, ritualized, hypersensitive to touch "walker talkers"...that are totally asocial) and those that simply have trouble getting along in groups of people. I think it will simply be Severe Autism, Moderate Autism, Mild Autism and Social-Cognitive Disorder...instead of things like PDD, HFA, Asperger's and the like.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 06:32:36 AM »

Yes. Was diagnosed with it when I was 5.

Also, at the people saying it's over-diagnosed. Not true at all. I think I heard that only one in like 500,000 people in the world have it. Probably inaccurate though, given that one in 100 have some form of Autism.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 02:44:02 PM »

See, I've no idea how it is in the US, but in France everybody in the scientific community agree that it is extremely underdiagnosed, and the fact I have been diagnosed only 4 years ago is a good illustration of this.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2012, 10:08:08 PM »

Yes, but it's not too bad. At least I have a good group of friends, unlike most who do. I had only one girlfriend though.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2012, 11:21:21 PM »

Mostly agree with Snowguy. I'd like to ask if it's "normal" to not have any traits at all associated with Asperger's. I mean how many people don't have some type of weird niche interest? Anyone who is completely free of any traits associated with Asperger's is probably a pretty boring person all around.

Weird niche interests really don't define Asperger's. I've had the pleasure of knowing and working with a number of Appies. The defining behavior is really in social interactions, not just awkwardness but in misuse and misreading of non-verbal communication. There are lots of other associated behaviors, so just having a few of them doesn't put one in the position of having AS.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies