Why are British left-wingers so enthusiastic about proportional representation? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:09:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Why are British left-wingers so enthusiastic about proportional representation? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are British left-wingers so enthusiastic about proportional representation?  (Read 5831 times)
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: February 13, 2012, 03:51:34 PM »
« edited: February 13, 2012, 03:55:12 PM by Leftbehind »

Pretty much because we're now at US-levels of consensus RE neoliberal economics + reactionary social policies within the main parties; even if it inadvertently allowed UKIP* or BNP success it'd still be better than what's largely a democracy not worth participating in. Personally, I'd like to vote for a minority rump of leftists you see across Western Europe - which could join a coalition with Labour, or at least wield a positive influence in parliament - than be forever voting for right-wing parties or pointless also-runs and staying at home in disgust.

*You're a) quoting 2009 - a way-above average performance from the Right, largely due to the collapse of Labour and b) a Euro election, where UKIP gains votes for being the prominent anti-EU party in a Euro election.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 07:52:50 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2012, 07:56:30 AM by Leftbehind »

I don't really get the characterisation - I can't believe there's anyone more happy with FPTP on the left than Blairite/right-wing Labour members, who support the current direction, enjoy that through Labour they capture a far bigger vote than they would do, have basically ensured there's no avenue for the left and are usually middle-class liberals (in the economic sense) themselves (sure, historically Labour left's been opposed to PR, but I'd suggest that made sense until they became completely sidelined).
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 08:46:25 AM »

Even still it's an uncomfortable generalisation, which I don't adhere to. I'm sure PR is a middle-class issue - with the social liberals on one side, and the market liberals on the other - but that's hardly surprising when politics itself is increasingly becoming a middle-class interest.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies