How have your political views changed over time? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:08:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How have your political views changed over time? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How have your political views changed over time?  (Read 8301 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: February 17, 2012, 04:37:56 AM »

Hm. Generally speaking, I've probably shifted left a bit.

I used to have a very strong disdain for structural analyses when I was young - I'd find affirmative action and feminist analysis and such things to be utter nonsense. My values came mostly from my dad, I think, and they were sort of traditional conservative working class values.

Then when I got a girlfriend who's parents were foreign my views changed a lot. From my dad I already had a great deal of respect for the working class, but my girlfriend sort of added a layer of feminist and racial analysis to that. Essentially, she had the same type of values as I had been brought up with, but that still wasn't enough. So I sort of realized that social injustice is real and not just a victimization complex.

And before someone asks how anyone could believe the latter, well, I was still very young and I'm also exaggerating the transition a bit. Wink

My volunteer work has also shifted my views on economic injustice. It really opened my eyes to how people have different starting positions that are very hard to overcome. This has made me a lot more firm in my support for things like publicly funded education and such.

Finally, my economics education has tended to undermine my support for free markets quite a bit and made me more sympathetic to state intervention in markets for various reasons.

So, overall a leftward shift. I was very libertarian when I was 12 or so, but I've been maturing ever since. Although, in fairness, I did shift rightwards when I was 19-20 and studied philosophy. Being surrounded by Communists tends to push one to the right.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 05:14:58 AM »

My outlook and basic analysis has shifted considerably to the left in many ways. But, aha, the direct result has actually been something of a rightwards shift in certain specific practical terms. There's a certain twisted logic of sorts there.

Care to give an example or two? Sounds like an interesting mechanism...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies