MI: Public Policy Polling: Hoekstra going down in flames
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:58:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 Senatorial Election Polls
  MI: Public Policy Polling: Hoekstra going down in flames
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI: Public Policy Polling: Hoekstra going down in flames  (Read 1744 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2012, 03:09:24 PM »

New Poll: Michigan Senator by Public Policy Polling on 2012-02-13

Summary: D: 51%, R: 37%, U: 12%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »

Over 40% of respondents said that the racist ad made them less likely to vote for Hoekstra.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »

I knew it'd be bad.  I'm part of that 45% who are less likely to support him (I won't vote for him).  It's REALLY hard to win an election with a net negative favorability rating.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 06:02:11 PM »

Time for a new candidate. When is the filing deadline?

Please don't let this be the Katherine Harris of 2006, where everybody refuses to challenge the dud. They challenged him for Governor, and he lost. Someone please run! Bouchard, Land, Cox, anyone!

Ah Insky, you wouldn't happen to be anywhere close to age of 30 would you? Grin
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 06:19:26 PM »

Please don't let this be the Katherine Harris of 2006, where everybody refuses to challenge the dud. They challenged him for Governor, and he lost. Someone please run! Bouchard, Land, Cox, anyone!

Republicans likely werent winning this seat anyway with Obama likely winning again by 15+ points. 
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 06:26:30 PM »

Republicans likely werent winning this seat anyway with Obama likely winning again by 15+ points. 

Republicans weren't going to beat Bill Nelson in 2006, but they could have got to 44% or 45% though with a different candidate.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 05:38:57 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2012, 05:41:34 AM by redcommander »

Obama's going to have a much closer race than 2008, but anyways that isn't the point. A dud leading a ticket, especially one with racist advertisements is going to have repercussions down the ballot. Harris likely hurt Republicans chances down the ballot in Florida. There are exceptions such as Paladino, but if you have a statewide ticket led by someone who has made themselves entirely unelectable, it's going to hurt the rest of the party. So yes Republicans should definitely get Land to reconsider her decision not to run, or recruit Cox, Bouchard, or Amash.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 05:27:42 PM »

Sadly, I have a few more years to go. Wink
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 05:46:54 PM »

Sadly, I have a few more years to go. Wink

You'll always have 2018.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 06:04:20 PM »

Inks is way too nice and honest to be a professional politician of any sort. 
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 06:08:01 PM »

Terri Lynn Land would be a much better candidate, although I don't think she would get over 45%. Mike Cox would be the next best(but not that good of a candidate). Both have been elected statewide twice. Amash would have to give up his congressional seat for a longshot chance at a senate seat. He would be foolish to give up a safe house seat.

I didn't think Hoekstra had a chance before this ad ran. Too conservative. I think Stabenow is underestimated. She is not going to lose to anything other than a first rate candidate, even then it would be close barring a another recession, and the republicans don't have a first rate candidate. She is a good fit for Michigan. I think she would have won vs Land in 2010 too. Michigan doesn't send republicans to the senate. I could see Stabenow as senator for Michigan for a long time.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 07:05:02 PM »

Terri Lynn Land would be a much better candidate, although I don't think she would get over 45%. Mike Cox would be the next best(but not that good of a candidate). Both have been elected statewide twice. Amash would have to give up his congressional seat for a longshot chance at a senate seat. He would be foolish to give up a safe house seat.

I didn't think Hoekstra had a chance before this ad ran. Too conservative. I think Stabenow is underestimated. She is not going to lose to anything other than a first rate candidate, even then it would be close barring a another recession, and the republicans don't have a first rate candidate. She is a good fit for Michigan. I think she would have won vs Land in 2010 too. Michigan doesn't send republicans to the senate. I could see Stabenow as senator for Michigan for a long time.

Spencer Abraham?   

The problem with MI has been timing. Levin is too popular to take out in any year. 2000, the state was won by Gore and in 2006, it was a bad GOP year.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 12:12:17 AM »

Oh, Petah Hok Strah! Meechigan votahs hate you long time!
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 05:30:10 PM »

Spencer Abraham?   

The problem with MI has been timing. Levin is too popular to take out in any year. 2000, the state was won by Gore and in 2006, it was a bad GOP year.

Abraham won in one of the better years for the GOP, and he only lasted one term. Other than him, Michigan hasn't sent a Republican to the Senate since the 70s.

I don't buy the "timing"--Gore didn't exactly win here in a blowout in 2000 (51-46)--a stronger incumbent may have pulled off a victory. Levin won his second term in 1984, before he became Michigan's Senate lifer.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 07:43:46 AM »

Spencer Abraham?   

Abraham lost to Stabenow 12 years ago.  And hardly anybody remembers who he is.

We don't have a good candidate.  Terri Lynn Land is probably the best one, and she didn't run.  Ultimately, this was a lost seat no matter who we ran.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 10:37:38 AM »

His campaign get very weak.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »

His campaign was always weak. It'll be fun to watch the Yobs lose hard on this one.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 09:02:31 AM »

Hoekstra make racist ad. Hoekstra no do well. Hoekstra campaign collapse. Debbie Spend-it-now keep her job.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 10:56:53 AM »

Couldn't y'all just run Tim Allen as a republican? I'm sure enough voters would confuse him for his character and elect him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 08:55:25 AM »

In prez yrs mi usually stays w dem party. It was only closer than usual in 06 because of devos and off yr.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies