Mississippi House Democrat wants to rename Gulf of Mexico
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:52:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mississippi House Democrat wants to rename Gulf of Mexico
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mississippi House Democrat wants to rename Gulf of Mexico  (Read 874 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »

lol

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2012/02/09/mississippi-lawmaker-pushes-for-gulf-mexico-to-be-changed-to-gulf-america/
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:29:21 PM »

THIS IS 'MERKA!!!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 06:43:40 PM »

I'm surprised he didn't want to rename it the Gulf of Mississippi, after the largest river to empty into it.

If we were starting to name things from square one Gulf of America ain't too bad, since Amerigo Vespucci was the first European explorer to visit it.  But to change it now?

Of course, if he were a Republican, he'd probably propose to sell the naming rights.  Gulf of British Petroleum would certainly be an appropriate name right now under the you broke it, you bought it rule.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 08:25:40 PM »

The fact that it wasn't obvious that this was a joke says it all, I think.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:28:54 AM »

I have for a very long time favored the idea of renaming it, but the Gulf of America is as bad as, or worse than, The Gulf of Mexico.  I always liked The Sea of Tehuantepec or something sexy like that. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 10:41:09 AM »

This reminds me that some tourist traps in Baja California Sur, mostly gringo-run outfits in Cabo San Lucas, have started to call the Gulf of California the Sea of Cortez.  It actually shows up on many tourist brochures as The Sea of Cortez.  That's really insensitive, callous, and exhibits an utter contempt for history.  If you really must name a sea after the marauding conquistador that brought smallpox to the indigenous peoples of the Americas, at least do it with the sea that he actually crossed to get to Veracruz.  Call the Gulf of Mexico the Sea of Cortez.  That's just as callous, but at least it is sensitive to the facts of history.  

My vote would be to leave the Gulf of California the Gulf of California (Golfo de California on Mexican maps, of course), and change the Gulf of Mexico to Sea of Tehuantepec (Mar de Tehuantepec.)  Or maybe name it after some brave Mejica chief like Nezahualcoyotl or Cuauhtémoc.  I love those Nahuatl names, don't you?  Coyolxauqui, Huitzilopochtli, Chipotle, Moctezuma.  Very chic, imho.  Or, if you really want to basque in the warm glow of White Man's Guilt, call it Mar de la Época Triste, or something morose like that.

I vote for "Sea of Tehuantepec."  Who's with me?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »
« Edited: February 10, 2012, 11:37:50 AM by memphis »

The fact that it wasn't obvious that this was a joke says it all, I think.
^^^^^^^^^
For people who don't get it:
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20120210/NEWS/202100330/Gulf-renaming-mocks-bills-immigration?odyssey=mod
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 11:18:06 AM »

Well mine wasn't a joke.  I have always favored renaming it.  Who's with me?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »

This reminds me that some tourist traps in Baja California Sur, mostly gringo-run outfits in Cabo San Lucas, have started to call the Gulf of California the Sea of Cortez.  It actually shows up on many tourist brochures as The Sea of Cortez.  That's really insensitive, callous, and exhibits an utter contempt for history.  If you really must name a sea after the marauding conquistador that brought smallpox to the indigenous peoples of the Americas, at least do it with the sea that he actually crossed to get to Veracruz.  Call the Gulf of Mexico the Sea of Cortez.  That's just as callous, but at least it is sensitive to the facts of history.  

My vote would be to leave the Gulf of California the Gulf of California (Golfo de California on Mexican maps, of course), and change the Gulf of Mexico to Sea of Tehuantepec (Mar de Tehuantepec.)  Or maybe name it after some brave Mejica chief like Nezahualcoyotl or Cuauhtémoc.  I love those Nahuatl names, don't you?  Coyolxauqui, Huitzilopochtli, Chipotle, Moctezuma.  Very chic, imho.  Or, if you really want to basque in the warm glow of White Man's Guilt, call it Mar de la Época Triste, or something morose like that.

I'm afraid my vote is no. Tehuantepec is a Pacific coast name and doesn't work for me as a marker on the Atlantic side. The Caribbean Sea is named after the indigenous Carib, so the natural choice is Nahuan Sea named after the indigenous Nahua. Doesn't that just roll off the tongue? Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 12:07:50 PM »

Sea of Cortez is the older name (though Gulf of California has been the more common name, including in Spanish, for the bulk of the period since.)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 01:35:38 PM »
« Edited: February 29, 2012, 03:56:45 PM by Nathan »

I'd be willing to throw in for Nahuan Sea (pronounced Nah-hwahn, of course).

Also, now that it's clear what he was trying to do with this, Steve Holland is officially a bro for life in my book. I really don't think that there are any issues that are 'too sensitive for satire', and in this case, successful satire was successful.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 02:05:34 PM »

First reference to Steve Holland on this forum:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=61735.0 (opening post)

Holland is a fat himself, so he knows what he's talking about.

He also ran for Congress in 2008, but lost the primary to Travis Childers.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 05:12:09 PM »

I like Wonkette's take on this (even if they apparently weren't aware it was satire):

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 02:48:51 PM »

I'm afraid my vote is no. Tehuantepec is a Pacific coast name and doesn't work for me as a marker on the Atlantic side. The Caribbean Sea is named after the indigenous Carib, so the natural choice is Nahuan Sea named after the indigenous Nahua. Doesn't that just roll off the tongue? Smiley

Not bad.  But nahuan sea sounds too much like "Nah, Wansee."  Wansee reminds me of the Wansee Conference of 1942, where the Final Solution to the Jewish Problem (i.e., deportation and extermination) was promulgated by Reinhard Heydrich, the Nazi official that Hitler called "The man with the iron heart."  It's like Heinrich Himmler and Adolf Eichmann and all the boys are sitting around and someone asks Heydrich, "Hey Reinhard, wanna have a conference in Potsdamm?"  And Heydrich says, "Nah, Wansee."   I'd avoid the name Nahuan Sea for that reason. 

But I've been reading Erik Larson's "In the Garden of Beasts" and lately everything reminds me of Nazis.  Maybe a few weeks after I finish this book Nahuan Sea will sound better.

Anyway, how about Arawak Sea?  Or Taino Sea?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 04:25:42 PM »

How about "The Gulf of the Confederacy?"  Wink
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »

How about "The Gulf of the Confederacy?"  Wink

Confederations are no fun.  The Confederation of the Rhine lasted only seven years.  The Articles of Confederation held the former british colonies together only long enough for the US Constitution to be ratified.  The Confederate States of America lasted even less time.

No, I'd go with a more permanent name.  Gulf of Mexico isn't bad, really.  The Mexica people have been around ever since Huitzilopochtli told them to go forth and search for the serpentivorous eagle.  In that light, I'd also consider The Mexican Sea to be an appropriate name.

I still like Tehuantepec better, but as muon points out, West Coast Mexicans (including the gangstas of the local cartel there) won't like it if they think the Juarez cartel gangstas are stealing their name. 

Maybe we could name it after Frida Kahlo. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies