Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2014, 12:59:15 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  2016 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Will the 2016 Democratic Nominee be to the left or right of Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: ?
Left   -31 (58.5%)
Right   -22 (41.5%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Will the 2016 Democratic Nominee be to the left or right of Obama?  (Read 2589 times)
Psychic Octopus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:13:29 am »
Ignore

I'm genuinely curious. I think that a lot of displeased progressives may focus their attention on a "grassroots, insurgent-type" candidate again, as many obviously believe Obama has not governed with them. On the other hand, the Democratic establishment may force through a more electable candidate, with centrist credentials, as they will probably be fearful of not being to appeal to more conservative Democrats. With Obama not on the ticket, it seems fairly likely that black turnout is reduced, which will probably make North Carolina and Georgia more favorable to the GOP. And if the wrong candidate is nominated, several core votes (labor, latte, et cetera) may be turned off.

So, what do you (especially Dems) think the path forward is? A more moderate candidate, or a more liberal candidate?

Snowstalker
YaBB God
Burkina Faso

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:15:41 am »
Ignore

Schweitzer. Depending on how you look at him, he could be a Blue Dog or a progressive.

morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 07:28:40 pm »
Ignore

All the favourites (barring Gilliband and O'Malley) appear to be moderates.....
Nagas
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -7.65

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 07:30:41 pm »
Ignore

Probably to the right. Regardless, I'll be supporting Cuomo or Schweitzer most likely. Smiley

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:45:56 pm »
Ignore

Schweitzer. Depending on how you look at him, he could be a Blue Dog or a progressive.
It depends if he can win his re-election in Montana.
morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:56:48 pm »
Ignore

Schweitzer's term-limited isn't he?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:50:29 am »
Ignore

Schweitzer's term-limited isn't he?
Hmm. But there will be a left-wing alternative if the rest of the field is centrists. Kucinich might even get 25-30% if nobody else decides to run(Feingold). Warren might also get quite a large following.
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 08:07:24 am »
Ignore

Bobby Rush '16! Tongue

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Burkina Faso

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:20:31 pm »
Ignore

He's term-limited. Even if he weren't, he'd easily win a third term.

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:28:02 pm »
Ignore

Feingold will be my default choice if he runs in 2016.  If not, I'm a little split between Cuomo, Kaine, and Schweitzer.  I could support one of them or even neither of them.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 07:21:34 pm »
Ignore

It's difficult to say.

Tell me if the following politicians are what you'd call to Obama's left or right.

Andrew Cuomo
Martin O'Malley
Brian Schweitzer

...It really gets hard, doesn't it?

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Zach Vega
zachvega
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.83, S: -6.61

P

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 01:06:14 pm »
Ignore

They're going to have to be to the right if they want to win in America circa 2016.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 06:37:55 pm »
Ignore

They're going to have to be to the right if they want to win in America circa 2016.
D E M O G R A P H I C  T R A I N W R E C K

I spelled it out for you.
Pictor Ignotus
TCash101
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 07:40:28 pm »
Ignore

So, what do you (especially Dems) think the path forward is? A more moderate candidate, or a more liberal candidate?

Someone who can obfuscate enough to avoid being labeled one or the other definitively.

Renew our Democracy!
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 11:07:30 pm »
Ignore

It's difficult to say.

Tell me if the following politicians are what you'd call to Obama's left or right.

Andrew Cuomo
Martin O'Malley
Brian Schweitzer

...It really gets hard, doesn't it?

Cuomo is to Obama's right on most issues but there are of course exceptions. Economically he's too right-wing for me to consider supporting in a primary. O'Malley strikes me as quite similar to Obama but I could be missing something. Schweitzer is for the most part substantively to the left of Obama except on those issues that someone in Montana specifically has to pander on but with an odd Western populist-libertarian streak that makes him hard to pin down stylistically. I really like Schweitzer.

...You're right, this is hard.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:56:47 am by Nathan »Logged

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Burkina Faso

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 08:54:08 am »
Ignore

Cuomo: Right
O'Malley: Left
Schweitzer: Left, though on the Montana issues (guns) he's to the right

Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 01:56:16 pm »
Ignore

I'd say slightly to the left, but only because I want Bennet to run and win. Cheesy

"Human beings are not much. But they may still be much more."
Chris B
cb48026
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 11:59:16 pm »
Ignore

I'd say about the same.
Tidewater_Wave
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 02:13:30 am »
Ignore

To get to the left of Obama you'd have to nominate George Soros. There can't possibly be more than 5 people on our continent to his left and besides, if Obama wins this year, I can guarantee he leads without a care for what the public thinks and only screws his party's chances for 2016. Under those circumstances, having a candidate like George Soros or Dennis Kucinich doesn't seem to help at all. We'll have to wait and see who the elders and donors of the Democratic Party decide is going to be their nominee by that point.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.26

P

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 09:08:26 pm »
Ignore

To get to the left of Obama you'd have to nominate George Soros. There can't possibly be more than 5 people on our continent to his left and besides, if Obama wins this year, I can guarantee he leads without a care for what the public thinks and only screws his party's chances for 2016. Under those circumstances, having a candidate like George Soros or Dennis Kucinich doesn't seem to help at all. We'll have to wait and see who the elders and donors of the Democratic Party decide is going to be their nominee by that point.
So your essentially saying he's a communist. Very original.

Schweitzer is the perfect nominee for the Dems in 2016. I'd say he's slightly more to the left on economic/energy issues, but to the right on gun control.

We need a public option

Quote from: President Harry S. Truman
“We should resolve now that the health of this nation is a national concern; that financial barriers in the way of attaining health shall be removed
Del Tachi
Republican95
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 5.91

P P
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 09:29:26 pm »
Ignore

The Dems will not choose someone more "authoritarian" in 2016, like Klobuchar or Cuomo.

Cobbler
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 07:29:21 am »
Ignore

Schweitzer would be the best nominee, particularly because he is somewhat ambiguous on whether he is to the left or the right. He is certainly to the left on issues like energy independence, but to the right on issues like gun control. He can appeal to liberals as well as rural areas that might otherwise lean Republican.

Economic score: +2.19
Social score: -5.74
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Burkina Faso

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 05:19:25 pm »
Ignore

To get to the left of Obama you'd have to nominate George Soros. There can't possibly be more than 5 people on our continent to his left and besides, if Obama wins this year, I can guarantee he leads without a care for what the public thinks and only screws his party's chances for 2016.

>mfw you know absolutely nothing about the Obama presidency or the opposition to him from the left.

Tidewater_Wave
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 09:19:34 pm »
Ignore

So your essentially saying he's a communist. Very original.

Schweitzer is the perfect nominee for the Dems in 2016. I'd say he's slightly more to the left on economic/energy issues, but to the right on gun control.

That sounds far to the right of Obama.
Tidewater_Wave
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 09:20:25 pm »
Ignore

To get to the left of Obama you'd have to nominate George Soros. There can't possibly be more than 5 people on our continent to his left and besides, if Obama wins this year, I can guarantee he leads without a care for what the public thinks and only screws his party's chances for 2016.

>mfw you know absolutely nothing about the Obama presidency or the opposition to him from the left.

I measure opposition in votes not voice! Let them vote for someone else if they think he's so bad.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout