Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 11:36:38 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  Opinion of Pontius Pilate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Opinion of Pontius Pilate  (Read 558 times)
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2012, 04:28:06 pm »
Ignore

No, no poll options. I want to actually have people talk about what they think of the man who has been portrayed so many different ways--as victim, oblivious villain, tragic actor, as redeemed or as irredeemable--throughout the history of the Christian story.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
bullmoose88
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 05:47:56 pm »
Ignore

Painted as a sympathetic yet tragic actor so that the new off shoot of Judaism would not offend Rome while other Jews were in open rebellion against the Empire.  Not sure he's a villain, but this kind treatment essentially transferred all of the blame for the death of Jesus to the Jews rather than a more equitable distribution.

A Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative NE Republican with some Left-Libertarian/3rd Way Leanings. Simply, a Rockefeller Republican.

According to one poster, I represent a...

Dying bread of Americans.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:56:47 pm »
Ignore

Painted as a sympathetic yet tragic actor so that the new off shoot of Judaism would not offend Rome while other Jews were in open rebellion against the Empire.  Not sure he's a villain, but this kind treatment essentially transferred all of the blame for the death of Jesus to the Jews rather than a more equitable distribution.

the NT puts blame on all of humanity, including you and I, for the death of Jesus Christ.

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y_GLT4_9I

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Coming for to carry me home,
A band of angels coming after me,
Coming for to carry me home.

Swing low, sweet chariot,
Coming for to carry me home.
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 06:03:20 pm »
Ignore

the NT puts blame on all of humanity, including you and I, for the death of Jesus Christ.

Obviously, but the way things were painted after that got a little murky and veered into blood libel territory relatively quick.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

Smid
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 06:32:32 pm »
Ignore

That's my feeling as well. I don't particularly care what other people think of Pilate because I believe that I am just as responsible.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 07:45:51 pm »
Ignore

Typical bloody Tory, amirite?

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:46:18 pm »
Ignore

I like the theory he eventually became a Christian. There is some documents and evidence to support that.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 12:00:44 am »
Ignore

I like the theory he eventually became a Christian. There is some documents and evidence to support that.

One could imagine that given his characterization in the Gospel text, but I'm not sure about these documents and evidence you mention.

anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -1.22

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 12:08:27 am »
Ignore

There are documents claiming he became a Christian?  I thought he was removed from office and, as several authors report, eventually committed suicide.  In any case, given what Josephus and Philo wrote about his term as perfect, the guy seems to have been a complete jerk and not at all suited for the duties of his office.

black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 12:25:32 am »
Ignore

http://www.livius.org/pi-pm/pilate/pilate08.html

Basically there is some evidence pointing toward that he authored a work about the works of Jesus and the crucifixion that predates the Gospels but is today lost. And that it's actually an official belief of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church that he became a Christian and was later martyred. But the evidence is inconclusive.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

P P P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 02:00:16 am »
Ignore

I see him as an example of role reversal, common in the Gospels. Outsiders and enemies turn out looking better than insiders, such as with the neighborly Samaritian.
Basically, you have this guy, who would have been well known as an unscrupulous tyrant, and when presented with Jesus, he ends up being the one hesitant to kill him on the wishes of the people who had welcomed him into Jerusalem just a few days before. Pilate was maybe more bewildered than anything else, being an outsider to the internal religious debate. Did he really not see Jesus as any kind of political threat, calling himself a King of the Jews? Maybe not, considering Jesus was at a pretty low point right then in terms of support.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout