Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 06:44:25 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  Department of Internal Affairs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Department of Internal Affairs  (Read 1788 times)
Senator Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 01:31:58 pm »
Ignore

Combattement? Tongue

Haha yeah, somehow I was convinced the noun of "to combat" was "combattement". You're the first to say something though, so I thought whatever, everyone knows what I mean with it Tongue

Talleyrand
TexasDemocrat
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 01:18:38 am »
Ignore

Mr Secretary,

The Northeast is very grateful to you for the cost estimate you have made regarding the new homelessness initiative, but due to our large budget surplus and capability to pay for this bill on our own, as Governor, I will have to decline the your kind offer of $1 billion in federal subsidies for this act.

I am sure that these funds will prove to be of great assistance to another region or cause.

-Governor Talleyrand, Northeast Region
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 09:16:50 pm »
Ignore

DIRECTIVE of the Secretary of Internal Affairs
RE: OPERATING COSTS AND EXPENDITURES
at the CAPITOL COMPLEX

SoIA Directive #007 of August 13, 2014
Official Record

Sec. 1. Clarification on Senate Operating Costs and Administrative Expenditures at the Capitol Complex

(1) By the authority vested in me as the Secretary of Internal Affairs, I hereby order the Department of Culture and the Architect of the Capitol to disregard any so-called “Senate Directives” issued by the President Pro Tempore.

(2) Food service at the Capitol Complex will continue as usual. Renovations to Capitol serveries and restaurants may be carried out at the discretion of the Architect of the Capitol without regard to regulations established unilaterally by the President Pro Tempore.

(3) No money is to be spent on new sculptures for the Capitol Complex in Nyman at this time.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:10:27 am by HagridOfTheDeep »Logged

Senator Lumine (PPT)
LumineVonReuental
YaBB God
Chile

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 09:49:01 pm »
Ignore

Excellent news, Mr. Secretary!
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 07:45:08 pm »
Ignore

I strongly disapprove, as I assume does the PPT, of this resistance to the will of the elected Senate by an unelected bureaucrat - one of many who, it seems, will stop at nothing to stop the people's revolution.

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 10:20:42 pm »
Ignore

I strongly disapprove, as I assume does the PPT, of this resistance to the will of the elected Senate by an unelected bureaucrat - one of many who, it seems, will stop at nothing to stop the people's revolution.

"Stop at nothing?" The President Pro Tempore is issuing directives related to things over which he has no legal authority. I'm protecting the duties of this office, which, coincidentally, were delegated to the Secretary of Internal Affairs by the democratically-elected senate. The powers that the PPT tried to exercise over the Architect of the Capitol certainly didn't come from the senate. I'm just following the law. Smiley

Speaker SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 10:22:07 pm »
Ignore

Has the weed thing also been overridden?

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 10:29:04 pm »
Ignore

The Architect of the Capitol is responsible for the day-to-day operations of facilities at the Capitol. I've asked him to disregard TNF's declarations, so we can assume that nothing has changed regarding smoking policies. That being said, our drug laws are extremely liberal, so asking elected officials to refrain from indulging in mind-altering substances on the floor of the senate doesn't strike me as a big ask.

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 07:51:44 pm »
Ignore

All right, so... I realize I've taken a bit of a break from my duties. Certain events in the game kind of zapped my enjoyment from this for a while, but I hope to get back on track tonight or tomorrow with a statement on the earthquake in the Pacific.

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2014, 08:54:19 pm »
Ignore

STATEMENT from the Secretary of Internal Affairs
ON THE EARTHQUAKE IN THE NAPA VALLEY

Secretary HagridOfTheDeep spoke today in Napa and pledged support for the region.

NAPA, CA (2014.08.28)—

I have been very saddened by the destruction from last weekend’s earthquake here in the Napa Valley; I’d like to thank Governor Varavour for hosting me in the region as I’ve toured around and seen for myself the devastation that this quake wrought.

With so many injured and in hospital, I’d like to extend my well-wishes to everyone whose lives have been touched by this disaster. I am confident in the governor’s response to the situation and, on behalf of the administration in Nyman, pledge whatever federal support I can to help rebuild damaged public infrastructure, get this region’s industries back on their feet, and help homeowners rebuild. FEMA inspectors have been in the area and will be reporting their findings to the Department of Internal Affairs shortly. I anticipate being able to redirect a portion of FEMA’s budget to the region before the end of the weekend.

Although some politicians have invoked this disaster to politicize the future of the Pacific Stimulus, I would urge lawmakers to dispense with the maneuvering and focus on the disaster at hand. People are suffering. I am a supporter of the stimulus and believe the final installment should be provided in October as the law dictates. But, regardless, all regions will receive the help they need in the face of natural disasters whether a stimulus is a part of the mix or not.

Once again, I would like to thank the people of the Pacific for hosting me over the last few days. Stay strong—help is on the way.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:00:36 pm by HagridOfTheDeep »Logged

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2014, 08:54:46 am »
Ignore

I'm taking a leave of absence for a week. I need to figure some sh-t out, and not thinking about Atlasia is the best way right now. It's not the worst time of my life, but it's definitely one of the hardest. Sorry, folks.

I've heard people say that posting elsewhere on the forum invalidates the LOA. I don't know exactly how it works, but this post is more of a courtesy than anything official. Hopefully I'll be back swinging soon.

SirNick
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 05:16:36 pm »
Ignore

Never thought of you as a swinger :p

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 05:57:12 pm »
Ignore

For whatever reason, that seems to have a lot more meaning lately. Tongue

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 10:55:48 am »
Ignore

Consider me back, I suppose.

Senator Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2014, 02:55:14 am »
Ignore

Mr Secretary,
On behalf of the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia, and especially on behalf of the Regional Senate Seat of the People's Region of the Pacific, I would humbly request a SoIA damage and economical loss analysis on the August 2014 South Napa Earthquake in the State of California, People's Region of the Pacific. Said analysis would be needed for the August 2014 South Napa Earthquake Relief for the Pacific Act.
Thank you,

x TheCranberry, Regional Senator of the People's Region of the Pacific

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2014, 07:51:59 pm »
Ignore

Thank you, this has been seen. I will get you something formal by tomorrow night.

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2014, 10:51:24 am »
Ignore

Okay, I've been struggling with how to approach this, so I'm just gonna be frank. I'm not happy doing the job of the GM. I like executing legislation, working with the regions, and responding to stories from the GM. I don't like providing time-consuming estimates after nine-hour days on campus when I have more important readings to do for class.

If I'm doing the things I love (see the shortlist above) it's fine. If I'm doing "ew, work," it's kind of not. So I would like to see a GM chosen very soon. In the meantime, I'm not sure what to do, as I honestly have no desire to put together this earthquake report. Honest truth. If it's a non-negotiable duty, I might not be around as SoIA for too much longer.

The game really comes to a standstill when there's no one to keep time. And although we definitely need a GM, I'm sorry... I didn't sign up to be that guy.

Averroës Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2014, 11:01:22 am »
Ignore

It should not be the job of the SoIA, the SoEA, or the GM to perform cost-benefit analyses of legislative proposals. It's tedious work for the official to undertake that ultimately adds little of value to the game. In effect, it's forcing someone else to do the legislature's homework.

On the other hand, having a Secretary who does the kind of work that you have over the past several months really does matter. I hope that we don't lose that on account of anyone's mistaken presumption about your responsibilities.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout