Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 04:04:35 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  The "Inks Option" Straw Poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Who should we use as current GOP "frontrunner" for the GE polls we enter to the database ?
Mitt Romney   -18 (60%)
Rick Santorum   -12 (40%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: The "Inks Option" Straw Poll  (Read 1216 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -6.09

P P P

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:17:27 am »
Ignore

The Inks Option seems to have more supporters than mine, so we need to settle on a "frontrunner" for the database.

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=149072.0

Who should it be (at least until March 6) ?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 10:22:24 am »
Ignore

the leader on Intrade.  I challenge the community to present a greater approximation of an objective condition for Frontrunner.
Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:13 am »
Ignore

The leader in delegate count. As imperfect this might be, it's the only objective criterion.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 11:27:08 am »
Ignore

For now, Romney.  While I hope he won't be able to buy his way to the nomination, it will be smoother to continue using him in the Polls section until such time as it becomes clear he won't be the nominee.

I wonder why Van Heusen never bothered to make women's clothing?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:31:28 am »
Ignore

The leader in delegate count. As imperfect this might be, it's the only objective criterion.

the only objective criterion??
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 11:51:41 am »
Ignore

Probably a dumb question: Is the Atlas not equipped to track both Republican candidates?

EDIT: Only asking because, for the moment, I don't think that there's a fair way to pick between Romney and Santorum.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:53:44 am by AverroŽs Nix »Logged

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:50:37 pm »
Ignore

Probably a dumb question: Is the Atlas not equipped to track both Republican candidates?

Unfortunately, no.  It would be nice if it could, but with all the different front runners this year, it is understandable why not.

I wonder why Van Heusen never bothered to make women's clothing?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -6.09

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 12:53:56 pm »
Ignore

The polls is pretty clear: We have to enter Romney as Obama's opponent until March 6.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 01:08:18 pm »
Ignore

the leader on Intrade.  I challenge the community to present a greater approximation of an objective condition for Frontrunner.

This was actually my thought as well.  Perhaps not the only criteria, but a main one.
Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 01:24:18 pm »
Ignore

Yes. Intrade is nothing but the agregation of many subjective opinions.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 01:47:49 pm »
Ignore

So is the delegate count...

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 01:52:26 pm »
Ignore

The delegates are the people who effectively choose the nominee.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 02:46:46 pm »
Ignore

Although an early lead in the delegate count doesn't necessarily mean that lead will continue.
Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 02:51:17 pm »
Ignore

Although an early lead in the delegate count doesn't necessarily mean that lead will continue.

No, but it's still more objective than some people's prevision of what the final delegate count will be.

Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 03:20:59 pm »
Ignore

^^^

© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 03:22:09 pm »
Ignore

and Lacan said,  because we can never achieve the objective/truth condition, a pluralistic conglomeration of the subjective is the best we can hope to achieve.
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 08:18:17 pm »
Ignore

No, but it's still more objective than some people's prevision of what the final delegate count will be.

I'm not sure what you mean by objective here. Intrade is an objective way of aggregating a number of subjective opinions. So is the delegate count, but to a lesser degree since the caucus systems tend to be quite undemocratic.

I think you might have a strange way of defining objective. You're making the subjective valuation between the current delegate count versus the Intrade numbers, saying that the former is a better predictor.

adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -5.30, S: -8.87

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 10:22:31 pm »
Ignore

I know that it's a little late now, but is there anything explicitly preventing us from just having separate maps for each candidate?
Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 11:43:59 pm »
Ignore

I know that it's a little late now, but is there anything explicitly preventing us from just having separate maps for each candidate?

That is what was done four years ago, wasn't it?  Weren't there separate Clinton vs. McCain and Obama vs. McCain maps?

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 12:47:04 am »
Ignore

Well, it seems Dave has less free time than he did 4 years ago, but otherwise, no.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 04:40:24 am »
Ignore

Intrade is silly. Go with the leader in delegates on the basis of current polls:

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Robb the Survivor
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 05:45:37 am »
Ignore

I'm not sure what you mean by objective here. Intrade is an objective way of aggregating a number of subjective opinions. So is the delegate count, but to a lesser degree since the caucus systems tend to be quite undemocratic.

I think you might have a strange way of defining objective. You're making the subjective valuation between the current delegate count versus the Intrade numbers, saying that the former is a better predictor.

The delegate count is obviously not subjective, since delegates determine who the nominee will be.

Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 11:11:02 am »
Ignore

The delegate count is obviously not subjective, since delegates determine who the nominee will be.

The delegate count right now does not determine who the nominee is. Anyway, that is not the definition of an objective measure.

Do you think Santorum has a smaller chance of being the nominee than Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich then? Since both of the latter are ahead of him in the delegate count...

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 02:08:05 pm »
Ignore

When I thought up the plan, my initial thought was to have a 3-person panel made up of people involved in entering polls to make the decision: 1 Democrat (probably TenderBranson), 1 Republican (I figured myself), and 1 independent (possibly Joe).

Personally, I would use a variety of factors to choose a frontrunner, and Intrade would play heavily into my decision, but not be the sole factor.
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 03:09:51 am »
Ignore

2 out of 3 for Intrade, Gallup Tracking Poll, and Delegates.  (In the unlikely event a different candidate is represented by each one, go back to state primary leaders)

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout