From the Darkness: A continuation of Death of a Nation - FINISHED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:26:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  From the Darkness: A continuation of Death of a Nation - FINISHED
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Poll
Question: Shall I continue?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: From the Darkness: A continuation of Death of a Nation - FINISHED  (Read 33493 times)
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2012, 05:22:27 PM »

Heh, a nice pause there before the resumption of hostilities.  Didn't see Dakota coming, but ironically enough I'd been musing about those two lately and alternate ways they could have formed.

[South] Dakota had its Governor assassinated earlier in the timeline, which is why they were first to go now.
OAM

« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2012, 08:43:15 PM »

Well yes, I remember, but I didn't see it as foreshadowing at the time Tongue
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2012, 04:54:14 PM »

An excerpt from Russ Feingold’s Death of a Nation

The most interesting thing about First War of American Reunification was that Executive General Xander did not have the control he thought he had when war broke out. His military was tired, and weary of fighting, his people had no morale –were starved, and the Cross Continental Alliance –even though not militarily superior, had the wind at their backs. Their people were propelled and excited by the prospect of reuniting America, and their leaders called Xander “Dictator” in all their public comments, and created propaganda with his face blended with Hitler’s.
   That’s not to say that Xander did not put up a fight. This was war, this was bloodshed, this was people dying unnecessarily –but Xander was on the defensive. The first months of the war proved to be beneficial for the Cross Continental Alliance. It is hard to say that other states joined their cause, because there was little centralized control in the states, but some groups that claimed to be legitimate Democratic governments did declare secession from Xander’s America claiming that Xander had violated the oath that the states entered the Union on –thereby voiding the contract.
The war most Americans saw was the battle to put food on the table for their family, the war against starvation, the war to simply stay alive. The people in Xander’s America were not deaf to the whispers of a better life in the sovereign American states –and it would inspire many to set up their own governments but that’s not to say Cross Continental Forces were a cure for the woes in Xander’s America.
   When Cross Continental Forces took over new territory, it is hard to say that they “controlled” or even “occupied” it. The bonds that held our communities together were nearly destroyed by the past five years of decline for the United States –and world.

August 7, 2018 – Executive General Xander’s conversation with the officer holding the war criminals

“Executive General sir.”
“General. How are our prisoners?”
“In solitary confinement like you ordered sir.”
“Good. I want you to execute them publicly. We need to teach Wyland and Fontana a lesson for backstabbing the United States.”
“Sir, it would be more secure to do it in the prison, privately…”
“Do it publicly, that’s an order.”

August 8th 2018 – Media Headlines

“Xander executes Chuck Landrieu and other Landrieu administration officials. Says “as the country’s supreme justice, I have judged on behalf of the American people that these people are guilty of the highest crimes against the United States of America…”

A spokesperson for the Cross Continental Alliance condemned what they called “murders” and said “justice has not been done.”

August 2018

American State of California – Green
American State of Arizona – Arizona (Gray)
American State of New York – Yellow
American State of Dakota – Blue
Armed Forces of America/United States of America – Red

Uninhabitable states due to nuclear radiation – Light blue

States that are no longer under the control of AFA/USA – Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Tennessee, South Carolina (Note: This does not imply these states have a centralized government, rather it probably means that AFA/USA has little to no control over the peoples of these states)
OAM

« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2012, 06:18:02 PM »

There may be a stiffening of resistance, but I can't see a major counterattack getting much ground now...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2012, 01:07:25 PM »

I wonder what the national and global death toll is since Obama was removed and what else is happening in the world.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2012, 03:42:20 PM »

I wonder what the national and global death toll is since Obama was removed and what else is happening in the world.

A quarter to a third of the world population.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »

Were there any other nuclear wars? How many people died in the US? A quarter to a third? I  wonder if the  Second American Revolution (2017-on) will spill over into a global conflict.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »

bump
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: September 30, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »

I will update soon.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2012, 01:09:36 PM »

I want to finish this soon, so I will start to wrap up in the coming updates.

Conversation between Executive General Xander and his top military advisor – September 3, 2018

“Executive General, I think it is time that we begin to consider using nuclear weapons against the CCA.”
“Do you not remember what happened to Landrieu when he used them? His use of nuclear weapons directly led to our victory over him. If we use nuclear weapons on California, the radiation would haunt us in the end as well. We cannot scorch the earth that is rightfully ours.”

An excerpt from California President Mark Wyland’s journal – September 5, 2018

I never wanted to be at war. I never wanted to feel like I was the reason peoples lives were ending…but we wage this war so that more can have the lives that we had, so more can live in the America that our ancestors dreamed of. It is that dream I hope to save, and right now, it is once again a dream –but a dream without the chance to become reality if we did not do something…

I hope we can bring this to an end swiftly and restore the Union, I hope that the past few years have not burned the fabric of American society. California is not much better off right now than Xander’s America. We have had local elections, but many areas are still threatened by record level of violence…our military being gone has not helped our fight against it.”

September 25, 2018 – Media Reports

“The Cross Continental Alliance continues its push across the continent….the Alliance is beginning to see the problems associated with control of this new American society…less dense states are easier to control but those residing there do see CCA’s control as legitimate but are more passive due to the lack of organization…the more dense areas are hard to control, unwieldy, organized and do not see the CCA as legitimate, however; the CCA is making more progress than Xander or Landrieu have…”

“Wyland and Fontana’s alliance may just be what saves this country, but the path ahead is hard…”

Call between California President Wyland and New York President Fontana

“After Xander’s fall, we must form a new Constitutional convention. We have to prepare for this.” Fontana called Wyland that evening to talk about the aftermath.
“There is no way to calm people down in some of these areas…we need order.”
“And we need order for them to be able to vote. We must give them a reason to trust us.”
“Can we provide humanitarian aide?”
“California can barely provide for itself, I do not think both of our states can provide for the rest of the nation.”
“There will need to be representatives.”
“One from every county?”
“That would be over 3,000 representatives.”
“That might be the way it has to be. One representative for each county.”
“California would be the safest place to do this.”
“Lets set a date.”

Media Outlets, October 2018

“The Cross Continental Alliance is calling for a Constitutional Convention on April 2, 2019. One representative from every county in the United States will be allowed. Military leaders will help counties select their representative along with other democratic offices in their states.”

“General Xander has condemned the CCA, saying the convention is illegitimate. Xander’s forces are retreating to Texas, where CCA forces plan on defeating Xander.”
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2012, 09:21:43 PM »

Every county? perhaps a delegation from every state, based on 50000 in each state...for the same several thousand representatives?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2012, 11:19:36 PM »

January 5, 2019

San Diego Times Headline: “Xander falls, Wyland and Fontana say ‘victory is the American people’s”

New York Times: “CCA Declares Victory, Xander to be tried in Court”

New America Magazine: “Will America return?”

Associated Press: Xander’s grasp on few American states that still followed him loosened quickly as dissent rose and CCA forces advanced. CCA forces openly admit to not having complete control over every liberated, or occupied, region.

New America Press: “Why not apportion delegates by population?”

An excerpt from Russ Feingold’s ‘A Death of a Nation’

Wyland and Fontana’s alliance and subsequent victory was an unexpected turning point for the nation. For the first time in years things were looking up. Palin was gone, Landrieu was gone, and Xander was in jail for his crimes.

Presidents Fontana and Wyland invited John [Boehner] and I, along with our families, to move to San Francisco to help them prepare for the Constitutional Convention. We both accepted their offer. Late January we both arrived in San Francisco with our families and the CCA made John and I a critical part of what would become the Third Continental Congress. We guided and advised both Presidents along with their chief organizers at every step of the way.

By March, criticisms over the “one delegate per county” rule were loud and many. Fontana and Wyland began to doubt their decision over the rule. John and I advised them to stand by their decision –and they did. The only question we had was would they vote in-bloc as states or as individual delegates. We decided to allow all the rules and procedures to be created by the Congress and by the presiding officer. I regret this decision to this day, but even now, I see no alternative.

We also decided that John and I, along with Presidents Wyland and Fontana would recommend to the Congress that they first select a presiding officer, and then create a rules committee. The presiding officer and the rules committee should adopt rules to run the Congress by.

While we planned, the CCA made little progress elsewhere in the nation. There were still food shortages, there were still riots and there were still gangs controlling communities. The CCA did not have the resources of a united nation at its disposal but they were making progress. Worst of all, jails were overcrowded and understaffed. I know personally that Wyland stayed up awake many nights thinking of the chaos a jail break would cause –and what progress it would immediately role back.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2012, 11:34:27 PM »

An excerpt from Russ Feingold’s ‘A Death of a Nation’

The first day of the Third Continental Congress gave me hope. Two thousand six hundred thirty eight delegates sat in our convention hall –representing 87% of all the counties in the United States covering over 98% of the population of the United States. A truly impressive feat given the circumstances. The rest of the first day, along with the second, was given to meet and greets for the delegates to meet each other.

On the third day they were assembled and a told to select a presiding officer and then they would become a self-governing body. The presiding officer, and President of the Continental Congress, would be elected by majority. The Third Continental Congress decided to elect me, in their wisdom, as their presiding officer.

After, I would assemble the Rules Committee which consisted of twenty delegates. We agreed  that I would only vote in the event of a tie. That night we stayed up late devising the rules for the convention and the mode of debate. The next morning the Convention approved the rules of debate, and went on to vote on their first question:

VOTE TWO: RESTORE THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION WITHOUT CHANGE & AS IT WERE ON JANUARY 20, 2013

Yeas: 634 (24%)
Nays: 1,899 (72%)
Abstain: 105 (4%)

It was then that I realized this process would consume me.
OAM

« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2012, 01:25:29 AM »

Very nice.  If this style keeps up, I think it'll be perfect for the convention.  It'll be interesting to see who's still around, or mention of who didn't make it through...
Knives
solopop
« Reply #164 on: November 12, 2012, 05:02:10 AM »

How's Australia?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #165 on: November 12, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »

And it begins. Therefore, The First United States of America began on 1789 and ended on 2019. 230 is quite a run. As long as a European Dynasty and perhaps many would consider the First United States the first American Dynasty.
OAM

« Reply #166 on: November 12, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »

Sometimes in alternate history the articles of confederation form the First Republic and the constitution is the Second Republic, ala the French naming system.  This could be the Third Republic.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #167 on: November 12, 2012, 11:44:03 PM »

Can't we make this easier for ourselves? We venerate the Constitution, I think people would just want to go back to a democratic government ASAP. Only likely change I could think of is abolishing the electoral college and making the executive somewhat weaker, but those could be amendments.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #168 on: November 13, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »

The country is basically in ruins and many could blame the constitutional as is on the fact that so much has happened.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: November 13, 2012, 08:27:18 PM »

The country is basically in ruins and many could blame the constitutional as is on the fact that so much has happened.

Yes.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: November 13, 2012, 09:41:59 PM »

From an interview with former New York President Mark Wyland

“Well, in the beginning we were all hopeful…but after Vote Three, we saw the rise of factions within the Congress…one delegate gave me his rough count of the factions at some point…”
“What were they?”
“The first one…and probably the easiest…they named themselves the Founders…these were the ones that voted Yes on Vote Three. All of them wanted the Constitution restored unchanged. Some were willing to compromise…most weren’t…”
“How many did they number?”
“Founders had around 300 in their caucus. The number changed often, it wasn’t formal. They would keep voting ‘No’ on any vote that changed a part of the Constitution.”
“What about the other 300 or so that voted Yeas on Vote Three?”
“They weren’t as reliable as the core 300 or so, but they were there, like I said this wasn’t formal…”
“So the other factions were?”
“Well, the second major one to pop up formed around Vote Four. Vote Four failed, and it was the God Caucus. They were pretty blunt about naming themselves. Vote Four would have put an amendment into the Constitution defining life at conception. It failed 63-30-7.  Russ had heard a rucus about it starting on the floor and he agreed to put it up for a vote if they didn’t put it up again. Well they reneged their part of the bargain and it went up for a vote again. There were about 500 in here.”
“Was this their only issue?”
“No, its just the one that brought them together. Russ pretty much helped them organize by letting them on the record about it. They were essentially a socially conservative Christian caucus. I don’t think they really met on economic issues.”

An excerpt from John Boehner’s diary

I’ve been watching Russ closely since he became President of the Continental Congress. He did well up until Vote Four –that was a mistake. He was tired and got overwhelmed by a small number of delegates who stormed his makeshift office. He let them put their issue to a vote and now they went from 30 to 500.

Vote Five should prove consequential though.

April 28, 2019

VOTE FIVE: The Third Constitutional Convention will create a new constitution for the United States of America.

YEA: 1,848 (70%)
NAY:  738 (28%)
ABSTAIN: 52 (2%)

VOTE SIX: GAGES THE CONGRESS’ OPINION ON  A LEGISLATURE

ORIGINAL CONSTITUION TEXT –  1,028 (38%)
ONE HOUSE ELECTED BASED ON STATE POPULATION (Eliminates Senate) WITH SINGLE MEMBER DISTRICTS – 896 (34%)
ONE HOUSE ELECTED PROPORTIONALLY BASED (By share in election IE – Democrats get 50% of votes, they get 50% of representatives etc) – 606 (23%)
NO FEDERAL LEGISLATURE –  98 (3%)
ABSTAIN/OTHER – 10 (.37%)

VOTE SEVEN: GAGES THECONGRESS’ OPINION ON AN EXECUTIVE

FEDERAL PRESIDENT WITH BROADER POWERS THAN ORIGINAL CONSTITUTION – 131 (5%)
FEDERAL PRESIDENT WITH LESS BROAD POWERS THAN ORIGINAL CONSTITUTION – 712 (27%)
FEDERAL PRESIDENT WITH ORIGINAL TEXT OF CONSTITUTION – 527 (20%)
NATIONALLY ELECTED CEREMONIAL PRESIDENT WITH EXECUTIVE DERIVING POWER FROM LEGISLATURE (Prime Minister) –  395 (15%)
CEREMONIAL MONARCH WITH EXECUTIVE DERIVING POWER FROM LEGISLATURE (Prime Minister) –  263 (10%)
NO FEDERAL PRESIDENT – 342 (13%)

Vote Seven was the most concerning to me and in a way the least surprising. 65% of the Congress wanted to completely strip, dismantle, or limit the powers of the Presidency. Only 5% wanted to broaden it, and the rest wanted the status quo.

I thought at first that we could get away with the same structure of the legislature that we used to have –minus the decision about the executive –but as April turned into May, it looked like that would not happen…and then May turned to June and June turned to July –but in July we were able to vote on a few major proposals. By then there were caucuses, and then three major factions.

Caucuses:

The Founders - ~300 delegates. Favor original constitution. Could also be considered a faction.
God Caucus - ~500 delegates. Favor Christian values in the new Constitution
Palin Caucus - ~800 delegates. Named themselves the Palin Caucus to be ironic. Favors strong limitations on the power of the presidency. This caucus had the most support by far.
Roosevelts - ~50 delegates. Favored the American influenced Japanese Constitution
Smaller caucuses – ~888 delegates
No caucuses - ~100 delegates

Factions:

Citizen Faction -  Favors strong national legislature, weak presidency, and overall strong national government. Sees only the Presidency as a cause of the Second American Civil War. ~900 delegates
Compatriot Faction - Favors weak national legislature, weak presidency and stronger state governments. Sees Congress and the Presidency as a cause of the Second American Civil War. ~500 delegates
Henderson Faction – Named after delegate Greg Henderson. Favors a British-like (system in the United States. Sees the original Constitution as inherently flawed. ~700 delegates

No faction allegiance - ~500
OAM

« Reply #171 on: November 13, 2012, 11:04:56 PM »

Very interesting write-up.  As I said before, like the style, still holding true.  Dunno what I'd personally favor... maybe going towards a more British system, but I'm traditionally in favor of a strong president... in this scenario I'm not so sure anymore...
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: November 13, 2012, 11:27:53 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2012, 11:30:37 PM by sirnick »

An excerpt from Russ Feingold’s A Death of a Nation

In July we voted on several Constitutional Proposals by instant run-off voting to see which one had the most support. The winner would have been only a blueprint for the convention to work with.

The Blunt Constitution – No federal government, states would pledge to protect each other in times of need if they are able. Supported by some elements of the Compatriot Faction.

The Compatriot Constitution – Extremely weakened national government who’s primary duty is national defense and elections. Supported by the Compatriot Faction.

The Henderson Constitution –Creates a legislature elected proportionally, a ceremonial nationally elected President and an executive derived from the national legislature. Supported by the Henderson Faction

The Congressional Constitution – A Constitution that further defined and weakened the powers of the presidency and strengthening the national legislature. Supported by the Citizen Faction

The Original Constitution – Supported by the Founders Faction/Caucus

First Round:

Congressional Constitution – 33%    
Henderson Constitution -  23%          
Compatriot Constitution -19%
Original Constitution – 15%
Blunt Constitution – 7%
None of the above – 3%

Second Round:

Compatriot Constitution -24%
Henderson Constitution -  23%
Original Constitution – 15%
None of the above – 5%

Third Round:

Compatriot Constitution -27%
Henderson Constitution -  25%
None of the above – 15%

Fourth Round:

Congressional Constitution – 42%
Compatriot Constitution -30%
None of the above – 28%

Fifth Round:

Congressional Constitution – 45%
None of the above – 55%

After the vote on a blue print Constitution, it was clear that there were already deep divisions in the Continental Convention. The majority of the convention would rather have no constitution than use the most popular as a blueprint.

Unfortunately while we sat in the Convention, the situation in the rest of the United States grew worse.

News Report – August 2019

”CCA forces have taken a step back in their progress in restoring order in the central and eastern United States. Many of CCA’s forces are tied up keeping the quarantine on the states affected by the nuclear attacks and keeping order in communities…”

”Local and state elections have single digit turnout outside of New York and California…CCA forces found it hard to keep voting places open in some areas and in others hard to find anyone who would vote…”

”One local resident told us the feeling in his community was that the government should be focusing on getting them more food rather than semantics over a Constitution, asking ‘is this new Constitution going to feed us?’
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: November 13, 2012, 11:52:49 PM »

An excerpt from Russ Feingold’s A Death of a Nation

“As summer turned to fall, and fall turned to winter of 2019, we still did not have a Constitution. We were closer –we had decided to work with the Congressional Constitution blueprint –but even that proved troublesome. It took weeks for delegates to accept that as the blueprint and then the factions began to lobby for changes that reflected their own.

The Convention by January 2020 was at a stalemate, but what concerned me was the growing caucus that wanted to end the convention and “let the states deal with this on their own.” Basically, a group calling for the dissolution of the Union.

Interview with Ken Bennett, President of Arizona

“As you know, Mr President –there has been not much progress in the Continental Convention. What are your thoughts on how to solve this problem?”

“Well, I think this is what you get when you put a Washington politician like Russ Feingold in charge of a convention mandated with crafting a Constitution for the Union.”

“Are you suggesting that former Senator Feingold is the reason for the stalemate?”

“He’s certainly not helping the problem. Look, everything we’ve fought for in the past five or seven years has been against a problem that started in Washington. Sarah Palin and Chuck Landrieu came to power from Washington. Carl Xander –started in Washington as well. When Arizona broke away from the Union we did fine, and we are still doing fine. We have trade agreements with our neighbors and the only wars we have been threatened with are from where? Washington.”

“Mr. President, there have been many caucuses or conventions formed at the Continental Convention. If you were there, what one do you think you’d find yourself in?”

“That’s hard to say because I’m not actually there –but one that I really like, is the Fifty Stars Caucus. They believe every star on the flag should have its own chance to govern themselves for once –without Washington mandating what to do. That’s what this Convention is all about –politicians creating a new mandate from a new Washington. Let the states try it by themselves for once. Arizona, New York and California are doing fine.”

News Headlines

“ARIZONA PRESIDENT ENDORSES STATE SOVEREIGNITY”

“BENNETT: FEINGOLD NUMBER ONE PROBLEM AT CONVENTION”

“FEINGOLD REFUSES TO COMMENT ON CONVENTION DELIBERATIONS”

“FOOD SHORTAGES TO GET WORSE”
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2012, 12:05:44 AM »

“…and it was Spring 2020 when things began to spiral out of control. I tried. I truly did. I did not think I had it in me after I lost that election in 2016, but I mustered up the energy to try…and it wasn’t enough.

Bennett’s criticism of my leadership wasn’t what hurt. It was his endorsement of everything we’ve been fighting against. We had been fighting against the dissolution of the Union, and we had been fighting to keep it together even after the tyrannical rule of Sarah Palin, Chuck Landrieu and Carl Xander. Bennett was the first domino to fall, and unfortunately many others heard what he had to say, and it stuck.

The spring of 2020 brought a new round of riots from the food shortages. Rumors were rampant about feasts at the Continental Convention when in reality we were only marginally better off than the rest of the country. The rumors didn’t help. Attrition in the CCA military rose quickly, and there were some communities that were swearing off CCA support. Fontana and Wyland decided that if a community or state rejected CCA forces they would leave. They couldn’t afford another war.

On September 4th, 2020, after months and months of delaying a vote because I knew the outcome –I couldn’t resist anymore. A vote to end the Third Continental Congress came to the floor. The results? 69% voted to end the Congress. Just enough.

Even though the media helped pushed the narrative of the Congress to this ends, the result was devastating to the nation. The last glimmer of hope that was the Congress was evaporated. The CCA quickly dissolved as states began to aggressively assert their own sovereignty. Fontana and Wyland tried their hardest but they quickly moved their own forces back into their respective states boarders as a new war between states loomed for those who meddled in the affairs of others.

Years later, looking back on this, I regret one thing, bringing the motion to end the Third Continental Congress to the floor. It is with that vote that I sealed the death of a nation.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies