SurveyUSA: California Death Penalty unlikely to be repealed (but many undecided)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:20:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SurveyUSA: California Death Penalty unlikely to be repealed (but many undecided)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SurveyUSA: California Death Penalty unlikely to be repealed (but many undecided)  (Read 1863 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 02:25:32 PM »

I just registered to vote today. I'm pretty sure I'm going to vote to repeal, but I'm not 100% decided.

California doesn't have the money to waste on the death penalty. As long as there is an option for life without the possibility of parole, I don't see why anyone wouldn't vote to repeal.

Off the top of my head, someone who already had a life sentence (actual or de facto) and commtis a homicide against a prison guard, inmate or staff member would be a convincing argument for capital punishment. Why on earth should someone get a 'free murder'?
And please, don't try to say that admin seg is even vlose to an adequate response (even if the perp isn't already in it). Would any of you try to explain the 'adaquacy' of that response to decedent's family?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 04:54:08 PM »

Badger, doesn't someone on Death Row also get a free murder?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 06:59:09 PM »

I wondered if somebody would ask this. Wink

Someone on death row a) has less time of 'impunity'; and b) I submit such additional wrongdoing can adversely affect, possibly hastening, the interminable capital appeals process unlike a life without paroler who already had the keeys thrown away and almost always a MUCH more truncated appeal history.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 09:00:58 PM »

A better approach would be to reform the prison system to focus on rehabilitation and treating prisoners like human beings rather than cattle.  Norway's prison system is like this, and they not only have a very low rate of re-offense, but Norwegian prisons (and the prisons in other Nordic countries, I believe) are very safe.

But of course, this doesn't matter, because most Americans care more about bullsh#t philosophy on whether or not prisoners deserve more than slop that wouldn't even be served in an elementary school cafeteria.  And then there's the classic "oh, don't use a European country as an example!  America's different!" line.  Roll Eyes
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 10:40:53 AM »

I wondered if somebody would ask this. Wink

Someone on death row a) has less time of 'impunity'; and b) I submit such additional wrongdoing can adversely affect, possibly hastening, the interminable capital appeals process unlike a life without paroler who already had the keeys thrown away and almost always a MUCH more truncated appeal history.

How do you explain the fact that this doesn't seem to be a problem in countries with life in prison (sometimes less) as a maximum?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies