What do you guys think about the whole Healthcare debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:31:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What do you guys think about the whole Healthcare debate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you think Pelosi and Obama were good at herding the blue dogs?
Yes(left winger)

No(left winger)

Yes(right winger)

No(right winger)

Yes(other)

No(other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: What do you guys think about the whole Healthcare debate?  (Read 1781 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 11:54:37 AM »

I never understood why the public option became the dealbreaker for so many moderates. Having a public option alongside private options strikes me as a much smaller deal than having so much government control over "private" insurance.

It didn't have anything to do with ideology....the insurance companies didn't want a public option so the "moderates" in congress turned against it. In the real world, people would have much preferred a bill with a public option than what we finally got.
Assuming that the politicians are completely controlled by insurance companies (which is a bit overblown imo), that still leaves the question as to why the companies were more concerned about a public option competitor than they were the enormity of regulation put upon themselves.

Interesting question for which I do not have a definitive answer for. It is something I hope to learn in more detail over the next few years. I don't think insurance companies are completely happy with the bill, don't get me wrong there. But seemingly it's better than a non-profit, or even worse, a government competitor in their eyes. I think they are right about a government competitor that could get access to capital at discounted rates. A non-profit system regulated by the government is what we should move to, but the public option was not that if I understand it correctly.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 04:03:52 PM »

Disgusting charade. In any event, the US should have gotten universal coverage >50 years ago. This is reason #123456 why I have a hard time taking "the Right" (or uh.. well you know who else) very seriously in this country anymore despite obviously being lumped in.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 08:37:42 AM »

Don't let the good become the enemy of the perfect.  The Patient Protection Act is a bit of a disappointment, but it still is significantly better than what came before.  And besides, there is no reason to think why we cannot improve on it in the future -as was done with Social Security.   

This.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies